Sato’s... GR-75 Combat Retrofits?

By Admiral Calkins, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

After reading @cadetvw ’s mention of GR-75 Combat Retrofits in another thread and how to get use out of them, I figured now would be a good time to see if I could get them in a full list. In tandem with Intensify Firepower!, Sato seemed like a good choice to get 2-3 damage out of each GR-75 a round. Combined with the Four Horsemen, Slicer Tools, and three (hopefully) double-arcing CR90Bs, it seemed like I could make this work in a casual game, maybe even a local event.

Name: Sato's GR-75 Combat Retrofits
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Commander Sato

Assault: Surprise Attack
Defense: Fighter Ambush
Navigation: Superior Positions

Pelta Command Ship (60)
• Commander Sato (32)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
• Disposable Capacitors (3)
• Phoenix Home (3)
• Lando Calrissian (4)
= 118 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 41 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
= 39 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
= 39 Points

GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24)
• Ahsoka Tano (2)
• Slicer Tools (7)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 35 Points

• Slicer Tools (7)
• Quantum Storm (1)
= 32 Points

Squadrons:
• Hera Syndulla (28)
• Han Solo (26)
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
= 87 Points

Total Points: 391

Thoughts (other than nixing ST and the CR90s for some ACM DCAP Hammerheads)?

Thanks in advance!

Do you think you need any reroll mechanism, or will IF be enough? Am guessing you won't be going for black dice ?

3 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Do you think you need any reroll mechanism, or will IF be enough? Am guessing you won't be going for black dice ?

While I should be pushing for black dice most of the time (higher ceiling and average damage), I think the probability of a two blanks (off 2-3 black dice) is low enough that IF should be fine. Just means that I won’t be fishing/rerolling for hit/crits, which is okay since I don’t have any upgrades that rely on them).

Edited by Admiral Calkins
Change two dice to 2-3; forgot about Concentrate Fire

Made a few changes based on discussions with some friends. Took Slicer Tools off Bright Hope , as it will be staying closer to the Pelta and likely not being used much. Added Disposable Capacitors to both GR-75s and added Opening Salvo for the Assault objective.

Opening salvo and DCaps is gonna be a real surprise since it can essentially match an ISD2 on its initial long range shot. I’d be interested to see how the list works.

Back in the day before the flotilla # limit my buddy’s Sato build was 2 MC30s and 3 Combat retrofits. And it put out way more damage than you would think.

Thanks. I’ll definitely be posting the BATREP once I get another 400-point game in.

Flak and Toryn

The issue I see in this fleet is the CR90B. That might be getting alittle close for them to do more than a hit or 2 before they run

I'm a big fan of GR75 Combat Retrofits with Sato. I even managed to take down my first SSD with a list where I had 2 of them (along with an MC75 Ordnance, 2 HammerHeads with Rex and Cham and a very mobile squadron list of Tycho, Jan, Kanan, a Hwk and 2 VCXs). My oponent concentrated his fire on the more dangerous MC75 and 2 HammerHeads (both of which went down) which allowed the GR75s to survive and keep on firing thier 2 black die each. The MC75 got the in the killing blow but the GR75s did some great softening up....so definitely luck dependent and you need something more dangerous to draw away enemy fire to avoid pot-shots, but they can get the job done under Sato !

Also many people seem to have gotten used to pretty much ignoring GR75s and forget that the Combat Retrofit actually has some teeth. The first time I used them my opponent was genuinly surprised that the "harmless" transports were throwing black dice at him !

6 hours ago, TheRedScourge said:

The issue I see in this fleet is the CR90B. That might be getting alittle close for them to do more than a hit or 2 before they run

My rationale behind the CR90Bs was cost, maneuverability, and damage output. They are cheaper than CR90As and I would have to make significant changes to get them to TRC90s (with almost no bid). While Hammerheads are an option, they are much more maneuverable than them. This would allow them to get to the side or behind enemy ships, forcing an opponent to make a choice to chase or just plow forward towards the Pelta (same choice with GR-75s); also increases the chances of maneuvering to get a double arc. They also put off more average damage than a Scout HH once in Medium range when having a double arc w/ Sato’s effect, assuming a Con Fire command and IF as well (3 + 3 vs 3 + 2). Definitely not saying it’s “right” or even the smart thing to do, but just my reasoning behind it.

What would you suggest I try instead?

Mispelling
1 hour ago, Admiral Calkins said:

What would you suggest I try instead?

It is a tight list got to give something up to increase that range. Normally I look at Sato and think what crits I can get in. Dropped the Pelta from command to Assault to add APT. You could change out to cr90A at the cost of making one a Hammerhead. I been thinking about Malee Hurra in my own list for damage bonus but I don’t have a Pelta. Also could drop apt and make another cr90A

(397/400)
Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56)
- Commander Sato (32)
- Phoenix Home (3)
- Intensify Firepower! (6)
- Ray Antilles (7)
- Lando Calrissian (4)
- Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
- Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
= 116 total points

- Bright Hope (2)
- Slicer Tools (7)
- Ahsoka Tano (2)
= 35 total points

- Quantum Storm (1)
- Slicer Tools (7)
= 32 total points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
= 44 total points

CR90 Corvette A (44)
= 44 total points

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36)
- External Racks (3)
= 39 total points

Squadrons (87/134):
1x Hera Syndulla Ghost (28)
1x Shara Bey A-wing Squadron (17)
1x Tycho Celchu A-Wing Squadron (16)
1x Malee Hurra (26)

I like the above changes, except DCaps on the GRs will probably be more useful than ST on BH, as your friends pointed out.

I assume you'll be trying to shoot ships mostly, but that's a lot of blue flak, as Gink pointed out, so you could drop Shara down to a regular A-Wing to fit Toryn in.

Fighter Ambush and Superior Positions can be turned against you if your opponent has more squads. But if your meta is pretty squad lite it's fine.

Edited by Bertie Wooster

Thank you all. I'll have to tinker a little with @Ginkapo , @TheRedScourge , @Bertie Wooster 's suggestions, but I see this branching off into two separate lists to test. The first being a relatively similar list to where I started (I have already since removed ST from BH and added Ashoka to support Raymus and Phoenix Home , with a few other changes.) focusing on maneuverability and the second being a Hammerhead/Combat Retrofit Gunline with Malee Hurra focused on getting tons of Assault Concussion Missile / Assault Proton Torpedo crits going off. I just made plans for a game this afternoon, so you'll see what I chose and how it performed relatively soon. Thanks again!

Grammar (It's almost like as soon as you hit "submit," that's when you find the mistake)

These are the two possibilities that I came up with. I have a game this afternoon and leaning towards the latter fleet to use (low-probability that my opponent will be bringing squadrons.)

Name: Sato's GR-75 Combat Retrofits v1

Assault: Opening Salvo

Pelta Command Ship (60)
• Commander Sato (32)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Phoenix Home (3)
• Ahsoka Tano (2)
= 116 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 41 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
= 39 Points

CR90 Corvette B (39)
= 39 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 36 Points

• Slicer Tools (7)
• Quantum Storm (1)
= 35 Points

Squadrons:
• Hera Syndulla (28)
• Han Solo (26)
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
= 87 Points

Total Points: 393

or

Name: Sato's GR-75 Combat Retrofits v2

Assault: Opening Salvo

Pelta Assault Ship (56)
• Commander Sato (32)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
= 109 Points

= 44 Points

= 44 Points

= 44 Points

• Slicer Tools (7)
• Quantum Storm (1)
= 35 Points

• Ahsoka Tano (2)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 31 Points

Squadrons:
• Hera Syndulla (28)
• Malee Hurra (26)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• YT-2400 (16)
= 86 Points

Total Points: 393

Version2 - Better range and the love of APT

Why Pelta? Just why?

If you are going to niche at least use this. I have 7 activations and they are all better than yours.

Sato OP
Author: Ginkapo

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Asteroid Tactics
Navigation Objective: Infested Fields

MC80 Star Cruiser (96 points)
- Mon Karren ( 8 points)
- Strategic Adviser ( 4 points)
- Overload Pulse ( 8 points)
= 116 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
- Bright Hope ( 2 points)
- Toryn Farr ( 7 points)
- Comms Net ( 2 points)
= 29 total ship cost

GR-75 Combat Retrofits (24 points)
= 24 total ship cost

[ flagship ] CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
- Commander Sato ( 32 points)
- Jainas Light ( 2 points)
= 78 total ship cost

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
= 44 total ship cost

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
= 44 total ship cost

1 Lando Calrissian ( 23 points)
1 Tycho Celchu ( 16 points)
1 Gold Squadron ( 12 points)
1 Green Squadron ( 12 points)
= 63 total squadron cost

29 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Why Pelta? Just why?

The purpose was to provide dice modification to the original build's six ships that did not have it organically. Given the changes, maybe I should reconsider that. Thanks.

In case you all were wondering, this is the list I ended up with and how today's game turned out. I think you all were pretty spot on with your suggestions, even it I didn't incorporate them into my list.

That Mon Karren list looks pretty fun.