Task Force Mon Karren vs. Task Force Salvation

By Admiral Calkins, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

More Task Force, different local opponent (from Tucson Fleet) testing out their list... really starting to miss 400-point games... here are the lists.

Name: Task Force Mon Karren
Faction: Rebel
Commander:

Assault: Precision Strike
Defense: Fighter Ambush
Navigation: Salvage Run

MC80 Star Cruiser (96)
• Weapons Liaison (3)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Spinal Armament (9)
• XI7 Turbolasers (6)
• Mon Karren (8)
= 133 Points

Squadrons:
• 5 x X-wing Squadron (65)
= 65 Points

Total Points: 198

----------

Name: Task Force Salvation

Assault: Surprise Attack
Defense: Abandoned Mining Facility
Navigation: Volatile Deposits

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51)
• Spinal Armament (9)
= 60 Points

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51)
• Spinal Armament (9)
• Salvation (7)
= 67 Points

Pelta Command Ship (60)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
= 73 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 200

He had initiative and chose first player. He chose Surprise Attack as the objective.

QICwqfH.png

Deployment: After placing the station, I placed the obstacles so that he would have a hard time turning towards the corner without hitting something and taking damage. After he placed his ship (and knowing that I was going to have three straight Navigate Raid tokens on his ship), I deployed in the far right corner of the board (too far to the right, as you will find out). I just wanted to keep out of his front arc for the entire game (which I did!). He deployed his X-Wings surrounding his Liberty.

WHDhEBs.png

Round 1: I pulled a Navigate Command for Surprise Attack and he got a Navigate Raid token. We both made wide left turns toward one another. His X-Wings crept forward.

8cn9054.png

Round 2: Another Navigate command and another Navigate Raid token. Same maneuver strategy. X-Wing blanked a shot against Salvation .

6exgmw8.png

Round 3: Last Navigate Command from Surprise Attack and last Raid token to Mon Karren. Salvation and the Pelta started putting flak on his X-Wings, while a couple attacked both Nebulon-Bs' side arcs. The Pelta rammed the unnamed Nebulon-B, then landed on the debris field... oops.

N4mqdS1.png

Round 4: The capital ships finally started shooting at each other, albeit for minimal damage. The unnamed Nebulon-B destroyed an X-Wing as they Rebel ships really put some hurt on his squadrons (I had expected to be firing against Mon Karren by now, so the Concentrate Fire commands found their use against his X-Wings). The Pelta rammed the Nebulon-B again.

A2VM6xd.png

Round 5: After attacking, Mon Karren flew off the board (had a Repair command, but I don't think he would have made it even with a Navigate command). I destroyed two of his squadrons and moved. Using our proposed Task Force tournament scoring system, the final score would be 400-0 (10-1, 400 MoV).

Thoughts: A couple things. First, I can now see why no one chooses Surprise Attack. Going only Speed 2 from the other half of the board, because of the raid tokens, the MC80 Liberty couldn't turn sharp enough to keep from going off the board. Second, while my maneuvering leaves a lot to be desired, my list did a lot better than expected, especially against his squadrons. And I enjoyed this list, as I really miss playing MSUs. Maybe adding Engine Techs to the Pelta (and removing Spinals from the unnamed Nebulon or the Salvation title) would help with one of the weaknesses of this list. Lastly, he needed Rogues to make this list work. I suggested dropping Weapons Liaison and the X-Wings for 4 x Lancers or 4 x YT-2400s (and Auxiliary Shields Team), so we'll see what he comes up with next week.

Hope you enjoyed the BATREP!

Thanks for the report! Seems like there was an opportunity for your opponent to have taken a Nav token and used a dial on a later round to ditch a raid token to Nav for at least one round. But yes, excellent example of how bad Surprise Attack can be if continuing at speed 2! Mental note taken!

5 minutes ago, ArmadaMatt said:

Seems like there was an opportunity for your opponent to have taken a Nav token and used a dial on a later round to ditch a raid token to Nav for at least one round.

Very true, but to be fair, I didn't think of it either. Guess my opponent and I both need to read up on strategies for countering Raid tokens.

Thanks for the batrep!