Idea: Change to Hardpoint Rules

By ProfessorTerrible, in Genesys

For the Sci-Fi/Space Opera Setting I've been working on I've been playing with an adjustment to the hardpoint and weapon attachment rules. I thought I'd drop them in here and see what people thought.

The inspiration comes from the modular weapon in SW RPG (can't remember what it's called) that allows attachments to be changed out as an action rather than requiring an hour. For my setting I wanted that kind of modularity in weapons and equipment to be a fairly normal part of the gameplay. The inspiration for this comes, in large part, from the Republic Commando games, which sported a single, highly modular weapon as the core of its inventory.

Custom Rules:

• There are two types of hardpoints: integrated and modular .
  • Integrated hardpoints require a Mechanics check with the usual hour of time to install and attachment.
  • Modular hardpoints require only an Action with a skill check of the skill that is tied to the item (Mechanics if in doubt, Combat skill generally for a weapon) that the attachment is being installed to.
  • Hardpoints appear in item tables as X/Y, with the first number being integrated and the second being modular.
  • Sunder can be used to target attachments in modular hardpoints. However, damage to attachments in modular hardpoints do not effect the base item.
  • Sunder cannot be used to target attachments in integrated hardpoints. However, damage to the base item also effects attachments in integrated hardpoints.
  • Damage to attachments has only three steps for attachments: Undamaged, Damaged, Destroyed.

Virtually every weapon and armor will have a combination of the two kinds. The advantage of the modular hardpoint is the versatility during encounters, as well as between encounters without much downtime. It's disadvantage is its vulnerability to sunder. Whereas the integrated hardpoint has the opposite advantage/disadvantage.

I'm strongly considering changing the rules for how many hardpoints an item has, as well, by un-linking it from Encumbrance (although not beyond the point of reason, a pistol with 7 hardpoints might get ridiculous) and simply attaching a price modifier to the two different kinds of hardpoints.

In design terms, I'll likely convert a lot of items that are normally just gear and equipment into attachments, such as scanners or tools. As a matter of the setting's flavour, most equipment tends to be attached to high-utility weapons and suits/armor rather than being free items.

I'm curious about others' thoughts. The idea isn't exactly original, it's all based on ideas that are already in Genesys or Star Wars, but so far I like the feel of this implementation.

In Shadow of the Beanstalk, they have a column for HP, and many of the weapons don't follow the Enc รท 2 round up for # of HP, so that is completely fine.

I find the idea of quick change Attachments to be cool. Just remember, it's one thing to quickly attach a scope or scanner, but some things (like Superior) shouldn't even be Attachments (in my opinion), let alone quick change.

Otherwise, it sounds fine!

Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't had a look at Shadow of the Beanstalk, perhaps I should.

Looking through the attachments, a number of them did strike me as not being suitable for being swapped around.

And I agree that some qualities, like superior, should probably be more of a reflection of their manufacture than treated like modifications.