Painting Set

By CinnaWolf, in Painting

Should I put the money in the core set paint set? I've painted armada ships before just using acrylic and small brushes, but I didn't do full jobs.

I love painting models I just suck at it, and wanted to know if regular paints work or if the special model ones are rlly worth it

The paint sets are designed to get you close to the canon/iconic color scheme with minimal mixing of colors. If you're confident in your ability to source paints from other places or mix colors, or you don't mind deviating from the box art then you don't need to sink money into the branded paint sets.

That being said, mini paints usually have more pigment in them than say, craft paints as they're designed to give good coverage from a much thinner coat.

I wouldn't worry about the official paint sets. You'll learn more from experimenting anyway. Best to invest in 10-15 paints from any brand. I think a good backline of paints is pure black, pure white, cream/bone off white, reddish brown, umber brown, neutral grey, skintone (cadian fleshtone from GW is a good start), and then whatever primary colours you need : red blue and yellow. Beware of grens, some are very blue, some are more yellowy. Some off-whites are quite cold and blueish, some are warm and yellowy. Also nuln oil (gw) and a silver metallic paint are useful. If you get all those, and then maybe buy one or two paints with every expansion you buy (say you need a real vibrant orange for whatever reason) then you build up a good set that can cover everything. DM me for specific recommendations

On 5/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, Alan Noir said:

I wouldn't worry about the official paint sets. You'll learn more from experimenting anyway. Best to invest in 10-15 paints from any brand. I think a good backline of paints is pure black, pure white, cream/bone off white, reddish brown, umber brown, neutral grey, skintone (cadian fleshtone from GW is a good start), and then whatever primary colours you need : red blue and yellow. Beware of grens, some are very blue, some are more yellowy. Some off-whites are quite cold and blueish, some are warm and yellowy. Also nuln oil (gw) and a silver metallic paint are useful. If you get all those, and then maybe buy one or two paints with every expansion you buy (say you need a real vibrant orange for whatever reason) then you build up a good set that can cover everything. DM me for specific recommendations

On 5/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, SFC Snuffy said:

The paint sets are designed to get you close to the canon/iconic color scheme with minimal mixing of colors. If you're confident in your ability to source paints from other places or mix colors, or you don't mind deviating from the box art then you don't need to sink money into the branded paint sets.

That being said, mini paints usually have more pigment in them than say, craft paints as they're designed to give good coverage from a much thinner coat.

Thanks!

If the sets have the colors you would like, then go for it. It’s a good way to quickly build up your paint selection.

I started with craft paints, added in some flesh tones and washes from Citadel, and then got some Vallejo sets. I still use all three two years later. The paints will last a very long time.

The Vallejo paints are my favorite to use. The finish on the craft paints is often grainy.

If you enjoy the painting, this will be a long-term hobby so you have plenty of years to build up your resources and improve your skill.

I also primarily use Vallejo brand paints, but also some Citadel just becuase they have great premade washes and textures.

I only use craft store paints on big terrain pieces.

I have honestly lost track of how many brands of paint I am currently using.