Force power upgrade

By Kakouk, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I have a question about the force power upgrades and how they work. It seem relatively simple but me and my DM aren't able to find a clear answer in the books. I'll use move as an exemple.

If you purchase move without any upgrade, you have the ability to move objects that are silouhette 0, by using a force point on your force die. After that, if you purchase an upgrade, lets say strengh 1, you have the ability to upgrade the force power to move object with a silouhette of 1, but what I'm unsure is this: Do you need to score a second force point on your dice to use the upgrade?

I know you have to use a force point to activate the power, but how does it work with the upgrades? And what if you had many different upgrades? What if you had magnitude level 1, strengh level 2, would you need 4 force point to activate them all?

It seem to me that using this method would make it very hard to use any powers at a higher level than 1 because you would need to succed several force die in order to use it. What do you think?

Edited by Kakouk
13 hours ago, Kakouk said:

I have a question about the force power upgrades and how they work. It seem relatively simple but me and my DM aren't able to find a clear answer in the books. I'll use move as an exemple.

If you purchase move without any upgrade, you have the ability to move objects that are silouhette 0, by using a force point on your force die. After that, if you purchase an upgrade, lets say strengh 1, you have the ability to upgrade the force power to move object with a silouhette of 1, but what I'm unsure is this: Do you need to score a second force point on your dice to use the upgrade?

I know you have to use a force point to activate the power, but how does it work with the upgrades? And what if you had many different upgrades? What if you had magnitude level 1, strengh level 2, would you need 4 force point to activate them all?

It seem to me that using this method would make it very hard to use any powers at a higher level than 1 because you would need to succed several force die in order to use it. What do you think?

It takes 1 force pip to activate the base power. Then, you spend pips to activate each category of upgrade. 1 Force pip to activate X ranks of Magnitude, 1 Force pip to activate X ranks of Strength, etc.

In your example, it would take 3 Force pips. One for the base power, one for Magnitude 1, and one for Strength 1.

56 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

It takes 1 force pip to activate the base power. Then, you spend pips to activate each category of upgrade. 1 Force pip to activate X ranks of Magnitude, 1 Force pip to activate X ranks of Strength, etc.

In your example, it would take 3 Force pips. One for the base power, one for Magnitude 1, and one for Strength 1.

No what if you have the basic move Force power and no upgrades. Lets say you have a Force rating of 3 and you just purchased basic move, would it cost 1 force pip to activate and then 1 force pip to move silhouette 1? Or you can only move silhouette 0?

7 minutes ago, Issumar2380 said:

No what if you have the basic move Force power and no upgrades. Lets say you have a Force rating of 3 and you just purchased basic move, would it cost 1 force pip to activate and then 1 force pip to move silhouette 1? Or you can only move silhouette 0?

You can only move something larger than silhouette 0 if you have the appropriate upgrades. Otherwise there'd be no point in buying the upgrades.

I'm sorry but I'm confused. You said earlier that you need to spend a force point to activate the upgrade, plus the one you need to activate the force power, but now you're saying that the when you activate the force power the upgrade comes with it? To be clear, strengh 1 allow you to move an object silouhette 1 and move allow you to move object silouhette 0

12 minutes ago, Kakouk said:

I'm sorry but I'm confused. You said earlier that you need to spend a force point to activate the upgrade, plus the one you need to activate the force power, but now you're saying that the when you activate the force power the upgrade comes with it? To be clear, strengh 1 allow you to move an object silouhette 1 and move allow you to move object silouhette 0

If you're referring to me second comment, I was just saying that you have to have the upgrade in order to activate it.

You have to activate each type of upgrade individually, separate from the basic power.