When to apply metallic symbols?

By M0N0LITH, in Painting

Hi, I have a quick question to the community... hope you can help...?!

I want to apply some small metallic symbols to my scenery and I‘m not sure if I should do it before or after spraying with matt varnish?

Here‘s an example:

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/scenery-and-resin/1217-chaos-runes-and-symbols.html

Just don‘t want to loose the metallic shine but I think with varnish they’ll have a stronger bond?!

Looking forward to you replys and suggestions... Thanks!

Edited by M0N0LITH

They're brass, yes? So I'd imagine you'll be affixing them with some sort of superglue/cyanoacrylate. I think they'll be fine if you put them on last, after all painting and varnishing are complete. Depending on your chosen implementation you might get a better result by putting it on during construction, then priming and painting it. The "natural" shine of metals doesn't ever quite match the scale and feel of painted minis and terrain.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes they‘re made out of brass and I‘m just running a test to see how it‘ll look like. Just found out that cyanoacrylate won‘t be easy to handle as they are so small and the glue dries so fast, that they either stick to the tweezers or are not in correct position. I‘ll try PVA glue as well...