C1-10P... no Evade action on the bar?

By Cpt ObVus, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I was under the impression that a ship was not allowed to perform an action that was not on its action bar, even if an upgrade card would allow it, unless the upgrade actually added the action to the bar.

C1-10P allows the ship to which he is equipped to perform a red Evade action after executing a maneuver. He comes bundled with the Republic Y-Wing, which doesn’t have that action available on its bar. Does this upgrade somehow bypass that restriction? Or is “Chop” meant to be used in conjunction with some other ship, like the N-1?

35 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I was under the impression that a ship was not allowed to perform an action that was not on its action bar, even if an upgrade card would allow it, unless the upgrade actually added the action to the bar.

There is no such restriction. A ship can perform any action granted to it by an upgrade (outside of a few specific circumstances where other limitations come into play). So ships without boost can use Afterburners, ships without an Evade can use Chopper, and ships without Calculate can use Passive Sensors.

51 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

There is no such restriction. A ship can perform any action granted to it by an upgrade (outside of a few specific circumstances where other limitations come into play). So ships without boost can use Afterburners, ships without an Evade can use Chopper, and ships without Calculate can use Passive Sensors.

I swear one of the rules gurus told me (when I was asking about Vader with Passive Sensors), that he couldn’t use the Calculate action, because it was not present on his bar. But you’re saying that he can? I mean, that makes more sense, considering cards like Afterburners.

I guess at the time, I sort of just nodded and thought there must be something I was missing. But it didn’t sit right with me.

So, theoretically then, I can (with Vader, Afterburners, Passive Sensors):

1. Perform a speed 3-5 maneuver

2. Boost with Afterburners

3. Use my Perform Action Step Action to use Passive Sensors

4. Spend 1 Force to Lock a target

5. Spend 1 Force to Barrel Roll

6. Spend 1 Force to Focus

7. Before I Engage, perform a Calculate action.

And thus, end up with a Locked target, a Calculate token, and a Focus token, all after a double reposition?

Likewise, Anakin Skywalker’s Republic Y-Wing can equip C1-10P and Supernatural Reflexes, and have access to Boost and Evade actions (as long as I abide by the costs and limitations of those upgrade cards)?

3 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So, theoretically then, I can (with Vader, Afterburners, Passive Sensors):

1. Perform a speed 3-5 maneuver

2. Boost with Afterburners

3. Use my Perform Action Step Action to use Passive Sensors

4. Spend 1 Force to Lock a target

5. Spend 1 Force to Barrel Roll

6. Spend 1 Force to Focus

7. Before I Engage, perform a Calculate action.

And thus, end up with a Locked target, a Calculate token, and a Focus token, all after a double reposition?

Yes, you absolutely could.

But you wouldn't, because the whole point of Passive Sensors on Vader is to delay your actions to the engagement phase so that bidding to move second isn't quite such a requirement.

You also wouldn't do it because you've spent an additional Force here for no net gain.

In your scenario, you end up with a lock, a focus and a calculate having barrel rolled and boosted.

Instead, you would trigger Afterburners > use the perform action step to use passive sensors > do nothing until the engagement phase > trigger PS to perform a lock action > spend a Force to focus > spend a Force to barrel roll.

In this scenario, you've locked and barrel rolled after everyone has moved even if there were other I6s you activated before because you didn't bid and your opponent gave you first player.

You end up with a lock, a focus and a Force token having barrel rolled and boosted. This is the exact same net result in terms of dice mods (a calculate token is functionally the same as a Force token), but doing it this way you got to lock and barrel roll even later (which is better).

Keeping the Force token is also better, because unlike the calculate token you get to keep it into the next round if you don't need to spend it. In your scenario, if you don't need to spend the calculate (which you really shouldn't need to if you've double repositioned to arc dodge and have a focus for the one attack you get) it goes at the end of the round anyway, and you start next round with 1 Force token from regen.

In my scenario, if you don't spend the Force token, it stays until next round, you regen 1 and you start the next round with 2 Force tokens.

Swz48_cards-c1-10p.png Swz48_cards-c1-10p_erratic.png

6 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

This is not correct and is a confusion I was talking about in a thread about Vader with Afterburners:

A ship is allowed to perform actions not on its action bar when granted by an ability. A ship is allowed to gain tokens typically granted by actions or to acquire a target lock even if the typically associated action is not on the ship's action bar when instructed to do so by an ability. A ship is allowed to do these things outside of the perform action step.

This stipulation is on page three of the rules reference in the "Action" section.

There is no maximum limit to the number of actions a ship can perform over the course of a round, but a ship cannot perform the same action more than once during a single round, or perform an action it has failed this round.

Game effects such as “gain 1 focus token,” “boost,” or “acquire a lock” are not actions, and a ship can resolve these game effects any number of times each round. Game effects such as “perform a 󲁀 action,” “perform a 󲁃 action,” or “perform a 󲁁 action” are actions, and therefore each ship can perform each of these actions only once per round.

Thank you all. That makes much better sense. The problem, once again, comes down to poorly written rules.

The second paragraph in the RRG under “Actions” specifically states that ships may perform a Standard Action (one with an icon, like Focus, Calculate, or Boost) which appears on their Action Bar, “as well as abilities that have the ‘Action:’ header on that ships condition, damage, upgrade, or ship cards.” It then goes on to talk about how some upgrades have icons on them which are effectively added to the action bar, which then become standard actions which that ship can perform. It doesn’t explicitly say that there are some upgrade cards which neither have the additional action bar additions nor the “Action:” header which nevertheless allow a ship to perform an action that isn’t on its bar. It is written in a way that makes it sound as if these are the only two standard actions that a ship is allowed to take, and it doesn’t make much sense vis-a-vis cards like Afterburners.

3 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Yes, you absolutely could.

But you wouldn't...

[snip]

Instead, you would trigger Afterburners > use the perform action step to use passive sensors > do nothing until the engagement phase > trigger PS to perform a lock action > spend a Force to focus > spend a Force to barrel roll.

In this scenario, you've locked and barrel rolled after everyone has moved even if there were other I6s you activated before because you didn't bid and your opponent gave you first player...

Well, yes you normally wouldn’t (though I can think of a corner case or two where you might, as I know there are a few cards out there which instruct you to discard a green token or suffer a harmful effect, so you might actually prefer a Calculate to a Force charge, very rarely). I was more looking to find the limit of the rules, rather than the optimal way to use them (your answer provided both, however, and I thank you for it!).