Quick Question about Core Sets

By Tyberius_Deangelo, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Hi everyone,

I know FFG designed Marvel's core set to where you only have to buy one to have everything you need to play, but is it still advisable to buy two to have more options and with future packs to have more cards to build decks with?

2 minutes ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Hi everyone,

I know FFG designed Marvel's core set to where you only have to buy one to have everything you need to play, but is it still advisable to buy two to have more options and with future packs to have more cards to build decks with?

Right now there are some core cards I wish I had more of and some that have already been reprinted. But there wouldnt be enough in a core set to get a decent second aspect deck for anything other than about 75% of a Justice deck. If you wanted to double up on aspects you would likely also need to double on expansion packs as well.

Ive decided for myself at least for now I will wait until Rise of the Red Skull which should provide enough staple aspect cards that I should be able to do a double run for each aspect.

Your plan may vary but it is not necessary if you dont run double aspects or make other concessions.

10 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Hi everyone,

You only need one core set. With each expansion the card pool increases adding new cards and reprints of the more important cards too.

The only reason to buy multiple cores and/or multiple hero packs would be to allow four players to build essentially the same or very similar decks; which kind of defeats the object of the game. Personally I see no advantage in having four heroes with differing power sets in play but then all with their decks rounded out with the same aspect and cards.

Diversity is the key to doing well in this game, and thematically having different aspects in play makes the heroes feel more individual too; each having their role to play in bringing the smackdown on the bad guys.

4 hours ago, Janaka said:

The only reason to buy multiple cores and/or multiple hero packs would be to allow four players to build essentially the same or very similar decks.

That part is not entirely true. You would need 4 core sets to build 4x 50-card decks of the same aspect and they would still be different because 30% of the cards would be different in each deck.

Our play group has definitely wanted to double up on aspects such as Cappy/Leadership + Thor/Agro + Black Panther/Agro. Doubling up on Justice could also be fun.

But I do agree it as A - not necessary and B- likely redundant by the time RotR releases.

Technically speaking a core set does not even have enough cards to run 4 different-aspects at 50 cards each, but it does give you plenty to play with until you are ready for expansions.

Edited by IceHot42
18 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Hi everyone,

I wouldn’t advise it, no.

The prebuilt hero decks come with some reprints already, and that trend is likely to continue over the life of the game.

20 hours ago, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Hi everyone,

As the general consensus seems to be, start things off with just one. Their goal is for you to only need one box, and while I can’t say I’m not tempted to get another at some point, I think you’ll want to play the game a bit before deciding for yourself if you do want that.

Based on the extra few reprints of core set cards we’ve seen in Hero packs, it seems pretty likely that any new staple cards you might want 4 of (for example, you only get 3 copies of Endurance in Ms Marvel’s pack, and it’s a solid card I could see wanting to run in 4 decks at once) will likely be included in future Hero prebuilt decks when they need a card or two to fill in the gaps. And even if you did want to max out on some of these cards right now, you’re looking at picking up an extra Hero pack, not a whole extra core.

Alternatively, looking at Villain cards, there are plenty of people who have expressed a desire for an extra set of the Standard Encounter cards. But an extra $60 for just those, again, seems like a decision that would be better made after you’ve played the game a bit.

Thank you all for your replies! I had been thinking about purchasing the game for a long while since I am already playing Arkham Horror solo, but giving the social distancing we are all having to deal with, I find I am needing some activities to take my mind off things. I thought Marvel Champions might be a good diversion since I loved the comics as a kid and I am enjoying the movies as an adult!

On 4/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, Tyberius_Deangelo said:

Thank you all for your replies! I had been thinking about purchasing the game for a long while since I am already playing Arkham Horror solo, but giving the social distancing we are all having to deal with, I find I am needing some activities to take my mind off things. I thought Marvel Champions might be a good diversion since I loved the comics as a kid and I am enjoying the movies as an adult!

I think you’ll be very happy with - BUY IT! 😁

What @Zordren said. My only real connection to the Marvel universe was to the movies so when I heard FFG was doing a Marvel game I was really "meh". Then I watched Team Covenant do a playthrough at GenCon and the mechanics drew me in. It has become one of if not my favorite game. Now I'm a huge fan of the Marvel universe as a whole, though it's hard getting into the comics because, much like soap operas, they have long and convoluted backgrounds that makes picking a starting point difficult. Also, I'm a completionist, so I want all the things!

Jump in! It's so much fun. The heroes all have unique enough mechanics that playing one will always feel different from playing another.