Mixed Clan Samurai and Heimin party

By neilcell, in Your Stories

If this is in the wrong subsection, I apologize. With the release of Path of Waves, it occurred to me that there is opportunity or desire among some gamers to have a mix class party. I offer up a suggestion that the writers are more than welcome to use in a future supplement sidebar.

There are two ways of going about having a party with characters of vastly differing status. The first and possibly more difficult one is having each player run two characters paired up much like Dragonlance adventures Riverwind/Goldmoon, Caramon/Raistlin, Tasslehoff/Flint, et. al. When the characters are in town, they could split up to pursue different objectives, with the heimin characters mingling with the staff while the Samurai go about their business with their peers. And for the more underhanded, the heimin characters could collect intelligence on behalf of their Samurai lords in areas where the Samurai could not go or under the eyes of the rival Samurai.

Another option is to have the lower caste character subordinate to the primary character, at least publicly. It requires a certain level of maturity to ensure that the player with the higher status character doesn't abuse this relationship. In town much like above, the party would split, but out on the road, a more egalitarian dynamic takes hold while still retaining a level of proper decorum should unexpected guest come on them.

I will describe an Asian Feudal-Medieval Fantasy game I played a few years back that describes the latter situation. My character, Yoritomo Yasumoto, the son of the late clan Daimyo had a manservant by the name of Chikao who served his father in an official capacity as his "horse valet". Secretly, he was a master Shinobi who ran the clan's spy network. He "retired" from the position as the last request of the father to watch over the son. As the brother of the late Daimyo became the new head of the family, there was a concern by some that the uncle would "dispose" of his nephew who could reasonably claim leadership. Hence Chikao became his unofficial protector, a shinobi equivalent of a Yojimbo. In D&D d20 rules, he was a Ninja/Shadowdancer. While out and about, Yasumoto treated Chikao as an honored elder and something of a surrogate father. Indeed this dynamic became a way the son learned about who his father really was and his reasoning despite them being estranged over the father having taken a Gaijin lover and secret wife after the death of Yasumoto's mother. While in town or among the other clans, Chikao very much played the subservient vassal, almost too well. At one point, Yasumoto quipped something to the effect, "the more I learn about you, Chikao, the more I don't want to learn more; it is hazardous to my health!"

In both situations, a strong team dynamic can be created if the heimin characters intercept or kill a combatant that tried to stab a Samurai character in the back or otherwise "takes one" for the higher status character. Incidentally, this is also a good way to get Samurai of rival clans to develop bonds across their clan's spats. "Only I am allowed to kill you, and only in a formal duel" might be a troupe, but it is a realistic way to demonstrate why a Lion would save the life of a Crane.

It's an interesting thought.

Certainly having a lower status ronin retainer in a group is supported in the rules now, and it does make for interesting interactions.

For that matter, quite a few schools do start with an 'attendant' having them in the role you describe works too, so PCs each have their 'samurai' and their 'servant' characters to alternate between rather than splitting the party and having half sat around in each scene.

(One group of PCs I run sort of 'inherited' Ryu after In The Palace Of The Emerald Champion, and he's actually one of their most used and trusted NPCs, essentially dropping into the role of Alfred).

As you say, the key thing is to make sure your players are mature enough to cope with one person being inarguably "in charge" - some aren't, and one rogue trader campaign I ran ended somewhat acrimoniously as a result.

Yeah, if one or more players are of a lower caste (nevermind lower status), it might require the players to be mature enough. I mean, if one of the characters is a hinin torturer and the rest of the players are magistrates and maybe some heimin deputies, the hinin player can be abused with no repercussion (in-game). There could be people okay with that, there would probably more people not okay with that, though. In the end, yes, each group should decide how to do it.

On our group, the Doji samurai trained at the Kakita Academy got as gear, a servant (technically, it's a samurai child he adopted and is training outside the academy) but the kid is still a samurai, meanwhile the Doji trained as Doji Diplomat got himself a heimin that is basically his personal valet, doing small errands, in the end, they are like the raven familiar in Order of the Stick, they only pop when we need or remember them.

Edited by Diogo Salazar

Greetings from the Sands, Evil-Smelling Brother-in-Law of a Camel !

My group and I played a magistrate game with a character that was an hinin forensic expert. It was enjoyable, the key was to be mature about status.

Then again, it is true to almost all L5r campaign.

See you in the Sands.

8 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Yeah, if one or more players are of a lower caste (nevermind lower status), it might require the players to be mature enough. I mean, if one of the characters is a hinin torturer and the rest of the players are magistrates and maybe some heimin deputies, the hinin player can be abused with no repercussion (in-game). There could be people okay with that, there would probably more people not okay with that, though. In the end, yes, each group should decide how to do it.

On our group, the Doji samurai trained at the Kakita Academy got as gear, a servant (technically, it's a samurai child he adopted and is training outside the academy) but the kid is still a samurai, meanwhile the Doji trained as Doji Diplomat got himself a heimin that is basically his personal valet, doing small errands, in the end, they are like the raven familiar in Order of the Stick, they only pop when we need or remember them.

Blackwing and his shining bauble for the win!!!!!