Omamori

By Tonbo Karasu, in Houserules

It occurred to me that we were lacking charms of 5 of the Eight Great Fortunes and I decided to write up what I would do about it. All of the effects below are triggered 1/session by spending a Void Point

Daikoku - Wealth

Add a Skill die set to Success Opportunity when making a Commerce roll [Maybe OP?]

Ebisu - Honest Work

Add a Ring die set to Success when rolling Labour, Seafaring or Survival

Hotei - Contentment

Remove Strife equal to your Void Ring

Jurojin - Longevity

Remove the dying Condition

Kisshoten - Fertility and Beauty

I have no idea how to do the mechanics for this, but I would suggest that it makes conception more likely

Edited by Tonbo Karasu
Sticky 'j' key

Are these as a free action or something you can do instantly?

Using Hotei or Jurojin's ability in a duel - especially to instantaneously remove Dying 1 - feels a bit too good.

As other Omamori, they cost a void point and can only be activated 1/session. By comparison

Fukurokujin: remove a condition or persistent effect caused by a Scheme
Bishamon: when gaining glory, gain +3

Benten: Add a skill die set to Opportunity when rolling Artisan or Social.

Yeah, during a duel, Jurojin or Hotei can make or break a duel.

I understand the intent, I just think it's too powerful.

Hotei could be, Strife on your next roll is ignored. Which could be still broken in a duel, but more random.

And Jurojin could be a dd a Ring die set to Success when rolling Fitness.

These are awesome. I don't think any of them are necessarily overpowered, but I might tweak a couple.

What if the Hotei one had to be triggered by something that removed at least three strife? I think that might make it a little more flavorful, and it prevents Hotei from making you a better duelist, which feels a little weird.

36 minutes ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

What if the Hotei one had to be triggered by something that removed at least three strife?

That makes sense. Having it be triggered by a passion or ninjo feels right for the fortune of contentment.

What about if Hotei was only usable during an Intrigue? Being content helps you better keep your cool in social situations, but not life-or-death. I specifically made it strife = Void, so that it was worse than Courtier's Resolve.

Note that a Warrior's or Iaijutsu duel both end when the Dying condition is inflicted, so the Omamori won't prevent that. I would say it is entirely social, but being alive after losing a duel to the death should result in taking your own life, or expulsion from your clan...

11 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

What about if Hotei was only usable during an Intrigue? Being content helps you better keep your cool in social situations, but not life-or-death.

Should probably be useful in downtime or narrative scenes, too.

More Omamori...cool

Kisshoten - Fertility and Beauty

Add a skill die set to Success Opportunity when making a Performance or Charm skill check to those who would be considered attracted to your beauty.

Also the GM could use a Modifier to conception if such things come into play. I use 2-3 sessions represent a year in game, so that conception modifier is a strong ability.

Edited by Sith Interceptor

Well, we have official versions of Hotei, Jurojin and Kisshoten now. I'd note that Hotei is very similar and Jurojin does remove conditions - just not the one I chose :D

I take it that means they're in Celestial Realms ?

On 11/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

I take it that means they're in Celestial Realms ?

Yes.

While Celestial Realms provides Omamori for Hotei, Jurojin and Kisshoten, and the latter two are nicely done, I feel like the Boon of Hotei is really problematic.
You remove Strife equal to your Focus value for a Void Point once per game. Since it isn't even declared as an action, my current character would heal 7 Strife for free . That would completely break a duel and is better than the Warrior's Resolve kata without costing any XP.

My solution would be that you can only use the Boon of Hotei out of initiative/Comflict Scenes. So it is useful if you have to reset before a duel, e.g. if you go the D'Artagnan method of challenging multiple people to duels in a row. But in the duel itself, it could not be used.

Agreed. 'Contentment' feels like something more associated with downtime and narrative scenes than conflicts, anyway.