Custom Maps

By krazyivan1945, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is there a size/area/amount of tiles limit to be used in custom maps to play on for 2 plays or just make it as big or small as you like.

Many thanks in advanced.

Paul

I don't think there's any rules, but I do have some guidelines that might be helpful:

* You'll usually want it big enough where the shortest path between both deployment zones is about 16 spaces. Anything shorter and you'll need to be cautious about not letting a figure like Vader or Bantha Rider with Beast Tamer getting too close. Anything longer than 20 spaces and melee figures might not be able to attack most of the game.

* Most maps have 2 or 3 "lanes" of engagement. Sometimes a lane is just a huge center room that both players can access pretty easily. Ensure that the other lanes have ways to connect into the center-most lane for flanking attacks & escape routes.

* I recommend placing terminals no farther than 4 spaces away from a deployment zone. Modern skirmish depends heavily on Command card usage. Terminals should be placed in places where attackers won't have line of sight to some spaces adjacent to the terminal by the end of round 1.

* Objectives are important to include, because some armies are going to be at an disadvantage against attacking other armies. The most common are control points (where a figure must be controlling at the end of a round to score VPs), collectables (where a figure must pick up a token & then transport that token to a location to score VP) and targets (where figures must attack & defeat tokens for VPs). From my experience, it's important to make sure that control points give a small but steady amount of points for players (no more than 2VP per control point per round) and are placed in areas that can be easily attacked & reached.

If you look through all the skirmish maps that FFG has printed (especially those that have been printed since 2017) you'll see a lot of good ideas that you can incorporate into your maps.

Let us know if you come up with some new fun maps!

Edited by cnemmick