More deck expansions?

By Colon Calculator, in Runebound

Any chance there will be a round of decks released that add to the big box expansions? They all need more challenge cards!

I'm right there with ya! I've always wanted this. More encounters for the big box expansions.
For me, that's the number one reason why they stay on the shelf instead of getting some table time. I feel they are a lot less interesting because the variety in encounters recyle way too much.

I hope FFG is listening :)

I was wondering about this.

It would be awesome to have expansion decks for the big box expansions.

Even though they have different back they can still get some use with the big-box expansions. If you make 2 decks for each color (1 box xp and 1 minor deck xp) you can agree from the start of the game when to draw from which pile.

Possibilities include:

1) players decide themselves which deck to draw from

2) roll a die. If even draw from base xp. If uneven draw from deck xp.

3) decide that deck xp must be drawn when having the encounter in certain terrain (swamp+forest fx)

Also in an expansion like "the frozen wastes" you will probably need to figure out what types of clues ppl will be getting (if green roll a die. 1-2 is princess clue and 3-10 is rumor; if yellow princess is at 1-3, if blue she is 1-5 and 1 of each on red)

1 of the strengths in runebound for me has always been that it is pretty easy to make house rules and incorporate them. Just remember to put those rules into writing for future reference ;)

Yeah, I've considered buying opaque card sleeves and just adding certain decks to the big boxes. I just wish they could make more. That way they could stay in theme.

I like this game, but big expansions become even boring after being played a few times. Deck expansions about those adventure variants would be a really great thing.

The Vic said:

I like this game, but big expansions become even boring after being played a few times. Deck expansions about those adventure variants would be a really great thing.

I agree. I usually only play the big expansions a few times before going back to the base set. The deck expansions, however, tend to stay throughout many more game sessions.

shadowtag said:

The Vic said:

I agree. I usually only play the big expansions a few times before going back to the base set. The deck expansions, however, tend to stay throughout many more game sessions.

So what is that makes us play the base game so much more than the expansions? Is it just that the core game is that much better? Or because there is so much more content for the base game? What can we suggest to FFG to add more value to these expansions?

Me too. I agree. I can't wait for more. I liked the last batch of deck expansions.

Well all we can do is drum up support for the idea. I ejoy the core game because it has so much more replayibility due to the expansion cards. That being said, I like the big box expansions more from a thematic standpoint. I think another batch of decks should be released with a new challenge deck for each big box expansion. Actually two challenge decks each would be ideal. Thats 8 new decks to create at thirty cards each. Sixty new challenge cards per expansion would make them just as replayable as the base game. What the hell, why not make adventure decks for each one as well? I can think of a bunch of ideas for adventure decks for each one just off the top of my head. The big box expansions have so much potential, they just suffer from players seeing the same cards every game. New challenges and new adventures would be awesome. There are plenty of items already, there wouldnt be any real need to add more. Maybe a new type of item specific to each ddifferent setting. I'm guessing however that the big box expansions sell fewer copies then the main game. Therefore there might not be enough demand to justify creating new decks for each of them. At the same time, they are decks of cards, how many do you really need to sell to make a profit? The people I know who like Runebound, REALLY like Runebound (myself included). It would ne nice to see that loyalty paid off by FFG producing big box expansion decks to please the fans. They are probably a lot easier to produce then most of the stuff FFG creates. Yet it would give us Runebound fanatics a great opportunity to pull out the old expansion boxes and visit the sands of al-kalim once again without the boredom of repetition.

Interesting idea to have an expansion for an expansion?

But I would support it fully. I have all Runebound stuff (actually, Mists of Zanaga is still not delivered yet, but all others) and base Runebound game adventure decks are huge (with all extra stuff added in) and I would like to have them on all big box expansions as well.

I think I will try following on our next big box expansion game:

- I will separate all adventure card expansions from base game

- I will create new green, yellow, blue and red decks from them, and put them next to expansion's corresponding adventure deck

- When playing, adventurer must roll 2d10 to see which deck he/she needs to draw: result 2-14 = draw from expansion's deck, 15-20 draw from extra deck

Of course if expansion doesn't have certain color of challenges, or that color is somehow special (reds mostly) then the extra deck of that color will not be used.

I wish they would release expansion decks for the big box expansions too. I'm sure that FFG has bandied the idea about to weigh the pros and cons. I'm sure from an economic standpoint they run the risk of the Expansion expansions not selling that well b/c as the product becomes more specialized the market for the product shrinks.

Perhaps a boxed expansion the size of Arkham Horror's "The King in Yellow" that includes challenge cards for all 4 of the Terrinoth big boxed expansions? It would have room for multiple decks and a few tokens. The price point doesn't make it prohibitively expensive (I think the AH little boxes sell for $25) so people that don't own all 4 big boxes wouldn't feel ripped off for the cards they can't use.

That's not a bad idea. If they release extra encounter cards in one box for all big box expansions FFG could consider it incentive for players to pick up some of the big box expansion that they don't already have.
But I do prefer the idea of separate small decks for each individual big box because I think that way we would end up with more cards since FFG wouldn't have to worry about price points for a product that might have some content the user might not want to pay for.

Two decks of 60 card for each Big Box Expansion sounds great! And like another poster said... no need for more market cards. That deck is now wonderfully full! :)

miles601 said:

I wish they would release expansion decks for the big box expansions too. I'm sure that FFG has bandied the idea about to weigh the pros and cons. I'm sure from an economic standpoint they run the risk of the Expansion expansions not selling that well b/c as the product becomes more specialized the market for the product shrinks.

Perhaps a boxed expansion the size of Arkham Horror's "The King in Yellow" that includes challenge cards for all 4 of the Terrinoth big boxed expansions? It would have room for multiple decks and a few tokens. The price point doesn't make it prohibitively expensive (I think the AH little boxes sell for $25) so people that don't own all 4 big boxes wouldn't feel ripped off for the cards they can't use.

/bumped, because deck expansions to big expansions are a great idea

This would be incredible - I particularly like the idea of having the 'mini-box' of expansions for all, you'd think it would be a way to entice folks into trying one of the big boxes they haven't done so yet. Unless this idea only appeals to the people who own everything for Runebound as it stands, anyway?

I have to admit, the blue and, particularly, the red decks of both Frozen Wastes and Mists of Zanaga are both pretty unexplored for me as it is, I think usually because by the time I'm at that stage in either game I'm hurtling towards the final confrontation or delivering the Princess, so don't have the time to go exploring the red deck in case I die of cold, or whatever. But that doesn't stop the green deck being revisited twice per game, on average. So maybe if they were to produce something akin to the basegame's Adventure Deck variants, that only have one or two red cards, but throw their weight further up the spectrum.

Please? babeo.gif

Ok, I don't have the game so bear with me on this one...

The expansion decks don't work with the big box expansions?!!?!??!?!?!?!? sorpresa.gif

That might be a deal breaker for me...I almost bought the base game and Sands today...

Compatibility between small box and big box vary. Market deck expanders do work with the big boxes (for the most part). Adventure / Variant expanders only work with the core game. Some players have adapted basic Adventure expanders to big box games by using printed card backs and sleeves to match some big box games where the Adventure front motif/attributes is the same as the core game. That may be too much fiddling for some players, but I have seen it work. It does vary depending on big box. For example, it probably wouldn't work with Mist of Zanaga.

Well...after a good night sleep I woke up this morning and still want this game. I even asked myself why I didn't bought it earlier...I got many games since I reentered the BG world 2.5 years ago and since day 1 Runebound is on my list...but I don't have it yet, weird.

I'll get it I promised but I fear a 3rd edition will be announced soon, dunno why and maybe i'm completely wrong. But at the same time, waiting too long could mean I won't be able to buy the game anymore.

/firstworldproblem

*Thinking out loud ON* Maybe I should go to a LGS during lunch...*Thinking out loud OFF* lengua.gif