Do Side Step and Defensive Stance Feel Underutilized?

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Well do they? Does it feel like players choose not to use them given the Maneuver (and by extension, Strain for the second Maneuver) cost, making them dead-weight talents? I've had that experience a little bit, both as a player and as a GM (plus some deductive reasoning based on observance of PCs Strain Thresholds), and was wondering if anyone else had. I have a change for how it is activated in mind, but I figured I should look for more information on whether or not it actually needs a change to make it more worthwhile.

No one in my games has Defensive Stance but I have a Doctor/Scoundrel/Gunslinger who makes liberal use of Side Step. He relies on taking a high initiative slot, Quick Draw & Quick Strike to hit hard and make a lot of noise, then Side Stepping and Dodging to avoid the inevitable return fire.

I have two Melee users who use Defensive Stance... occasionally.

Just now, CloudyLemonade92 said:

I have two Melee users who use Defensive Stance... occasionally.

How occasionally?

One is a Melee Tank/DPS, the other is a Melee Medic/Support.

I'd say they use it every other encounter. Usually when there is some pressure on

Just now, CloudyLemonade92 said:

One is a Melee Tank/DPS, the other is a Melee Medic/Support.

I'd say they use it every other encounter. Usually when there is some pressure on

Okay, then that sounds about right.

to me in this game defence is not as good as attacking in most cases

7 hours ago, Oldmike1 said:

to me in this game defence is not as good as attacking in most cases

This is the issue. The game is a hit point system that relies on soaking hits that largely do little until they exceed WT. This means that hits happen frequently. The talents this thread is talking about don't really do enough for their Strain cost, but some characters--like a Soresu Defender with the "Improved Stop Hitting Yourself" talents--can make better use of them.