Events - good to be ther active player and hit the event.

By Keithandor, in Horus Heresy

Do you guys find that when the initiaive track gets close to an event , it's a good idea to be the active player when the event is hit , so you should maybe use and order so you are the one hitting the event rather then your opponent.

Not all the events are for the active player only and are Traitor or Imperial dependant , but some events are good for the active player.

Am I reading it correctly ?

Only played 2 games so far.

Depends on the scenario and Event deck of course. Scenario 1, in Act II you have a 50-50 shot at Command Decisions, as Traitor you want to be current player when it is drawn since 3 free Orders help you nicely, as Imperial you want to be current player do deny Traitors those 3 free Orders (and you want to be current player if Sky Fortress Rises and Apocalypse Rains Down have been drawn). Act III with Titans Stride the Earth can be a game-winner. Act I is luck of the draw, since they are all do immediately.

It's very much a similar story when it comes to the Refresh Phase space on the Initiative track.

I agree, but only starting with Event # 5 (in the first two scenarios, which are the only two I've played). The first 4 events are "given" to the appropriate player, but starting with # 5 you for SURE want to be the active player for the chance to make Command Decisions.

TK

So what you mean by hitting the refresh phase first is that you can plan to activate an area(s) , know that you just hit the refresh phase and will be able to move again when you get initiative ?

Keithandor said:

So what you mean by hitting the refresh phase first is that you can plan to activate an area(s) , know that you just hit the refresh phase and will be able to move again when you get initiative ?

Pretty much. If my marker is 3 short of a Refresh phase space on the IT, I'm very likely to play a 3-cost card from hand (esp. Assault, which activates multiple areas, but since the RP is coming up...). Or if I have the space to maneuver, place an order on the strategic map and play Redeploy from hand, moving as many units as possible, since all those target areas will have their activation marker removed after the move due to RP.

@ Keithandor

I would actually be careful not to play a 3-cost card, but rather play a 2-cost card (firefight for instance). That way you let your enemy hit the refresh space for you. He won't be able to use it, but you will in your next round.

Toblakai said:

@ Keithandor

I would actually be careful not to play a 3-cost card, but rather play a 2-cost card (firefight for instance). That way you let your enemy hit the refresh space for you. He won't be able to use it, but you will in your next round.

That might allow your opponent to move freely (with Redeploy) and then have all his units available for combat on his next go, due to RP. Whereas with "my way" gran_risa.gif , if he moves them, they'll all be out of action due to activation, with the RP just passed, making him think twice or thrice about moving them, especially if the next RP is far away.

Oops

I may have this all wrong ??????

If I am the current player and I hit an event phase , we do things in this order

1. Resolve actions
  2. Move marker on initiave track
  3. Change inititiave if I am ahaed and fight coexistance battle , check stacking limits.
  4. Resolve special phases , events etc

Therfore I just gave my opponent the initiative and he becomes the current player and he gets to resolve the event !

Is that correct ??

If so I have been playing it wrong , racing to the event so I can resolve it is wrong , if I hit the event I hand over initiative before the event is resolved and my oppoent is the current player when the event is resolved!

Bugger!

Don't worry someone on BGG answered it for me and I have been playing it correctly.

The Change of Initiative Step (pg.15)

"Note that even when there is a change of initiative, the identity of the current player does not change until the next action round begins."

The Resolve Special Phases Step(pg. 15)
"In a round where the current player did not move his initiative marker marker past or onto a space bearing a special phase icon, no special phases are carried out."