Some rules for cavalry regiment creation

By Gurkhal, in Only War House Rules

I know that the rules already published in OW allows solid rules for lancers, as well as the possibility to create mounted infantry, but as someone who is a bit of an enthusiast for cavalry I decided to write up something for creation of non-lancer cavalry regiments. The main reason for doing this is to focus it a bit more and also allow the introduction of some cavalry specific talents. I have thought a little on how to go about this from a multitude of cavalry type of regiments to building from the established Rogue Riders by offering a selection of choices of doctrines, talents and weapons with a cavalry angle. But in the end I kind of decided on the below model as a basis.

And naturally I post here both to try and shake some life into this forum, and get some informed feedback on this first version of my attempt to expand the cavalry aspect of the Imperial Guard.

Imperial Guard Cavalry

New Types of Cavalry Regiments

Light Cavalry

Cavalry designed for a variety of different missions involving rapid speed and manoeuvre.

Cost: 3 points

Characteristics: +3 Ag, -3 WP

Starting skills: Survival

Starting talents: Catfall, Horseman (Custom), Weapon Training (Low-tech, Las)

Standard kit: 1 mount (as chosen for the regiment), 1 flak jacket, 1 flak helmet, 1 sword, 2 saddle bags, 1 saddle, 1 set of riding tack, 1 las-gun

Heavy cavalry

Dedicated shock cavalry with the intention of using the speed and power of their charge to crush the opposition.

Cost: 4

Characteristics: +3 T OR S, -3 Int

Starting skills: Survival

Starting talents: Catfall, Horseman (Custom), Weapon Training (Chain, Las)

Standard kit: 1 mount (as chosen for the regiment), 1 full set of flak armour, 2 saddle bags, 1 saddle, 1 set of riding tack, 1 chainsword, 1 las-pistol

New Cavalry Training Doctrines

Mounted Reconnaissance

Cost: 2

Starting skill: Stealth and Awareness

Starting equipment: Magnoculors

Quick Mounters

Starting Talent: Service ready (Custom)

Long Riders

Cost: 1

Starting Talent: Long Rider (Custom)

Shock Trample

Starting Talent: Trampler

Shock Knock-down

Starting Talent: Knock ‘em off

Custom Talents

Knock ‘em off: When making a Crushing Charge Action add +10 to the opposed S test

Horseman : +10 to all Survival skills involving riding

Service Ready : Half the time to mount or dismount from a mount

Long Rider : Add +1 Movement to the mount for Narrative Movement purposes

Trampler : When making a Rearing Strike Action against a foe that’s one or more sizes smaller than the mount, the Survival test becomes one a -10.

Lol!

I realize that most of this was superflous although I think that the cavalry doctinres mostly have a value. Oh, well. Better luck the next time, Gurkhal. 😉