miraluka

By Stormbourne, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Stats:
all 2

Wounds/Strain:
10/10

EXP:

Unique:
Farsight - miralukans start the game with the farsight basic power, and may roll farsight as a incedental adding 3FP to the result

Blind - at character creation decide full or half miralukan full miralukan are blind but always have farsight basic power active, half miralukan have nither

anything glaringly OP about this?

At first glance? The half miralukan is a human with 10 less Starting XP, an no non-career skill choices. They lose Farsight, as well as Blind, and as such they have no unique abilities? So I would never choose that one over a human if I were to go for more optimal builds.

Full blooded miraluka gain the Farsight base power (normally 5 XP). It takes an action to use (FaD page 282) as neither the table nor the full description in Savage Spirits indicates otherwise. Then (in structured time where it is relevant that it takes up an action) it lasts for one round. So in combat, this species ability would be... less useful? As you need to feed your actions into it every round you want to know where everybody is?

Then you add it to be an incidental. I can get with that, as it is a natural ability for the species. Something like that also might make the power more useful, and may compensate about 10 or 15 XP from the Starting alotment. I like how the range of the Base Power is also limited to medium (I have my own homebrew miraluka, which also includes "vision" out to medium), so I don't see a problem there.

And you add 3 Force Points to the result. Why? Why not simply state that using the species ability as an incidental comes with one (1) automatic success so the miraluka is able to "see", unless they make a Force power check, rolling their Force dice as an action, and they score more FP? Basically you are handing the miraluka two automatic extra upgrades to his or her "vision" when they have bought Force power upgrades.

I don't think it is glaringly overpowering, but there is certainly a choice or two (or FP or two, really) I keep wondering about.

Below is my take on it.

image.png.7bd75ff7157a5942f2539fed3607bd6b.png

image.png

2 hours ago, Xcapobl said:

I like this, but I don't see any reason for putting a range limitation on it. What's the point?

Personally, I'd just rename the Kanan's Farsight special ability from Dawn of Rebellion:

Kanan's Farsight - Force Power. Though blind, Kanan can use his connection to the Force to function as if sighted. He does not need to spend (LS/DS) to activate this power.

Replace both instances of "Kanan" with "Miraluka" and call it a day.

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Personally, I'd just rename the Kanan's Farsight special ability from Dawn of Rebellion:

Kanan's Farsight - Force Power. Though blind, Kanan can use his connection to the Force to function as if sighted. He does not need to spend (LS/DS) to activate this power.

Replace both instances of "Kanan" with "Miraluka" and call it a day.

Winner winner monkey-lizard dinner.

10 hours ago, Xcapobl said:

At first glance? The half miralukan is a human with 10 less Starting XP, an no non-career skill choices. They lose Farsight, as well as Blind, and as such they have no unique abilities? So I would never choose that one over a human if I were to go for more optimal builds.

half miraluklans still have the farsight power and can still use it as an incedental they how ever do not have farsight always on, with them im trying to blance out not being blind and not have a forcepower always on in some manner

11 hours ago, Xcapobl said:

And you add 3 Force Points to the result. Why? Why not simply state that using the species ability as an incidental comes with one (1) automatic success so the miraluka is able to "see", unless they make a Force power check, rolling their Force dice as an action, and they score more FP? Basically you are handing the miraluka two automatic extra upgrades to his or her "vision" when they have bought Force power upgrades.

I don't think it is glaringly overpowering, but there is certainly a choice or two (or FP or two, really) I keep wondering about.

with the whole add FP to your roll im trying to further dispossition miralukan players into using farsight, if that's a little heavy handed how about a rank in perception?