How do people use BARCs?

By TIE wing, in Army Building

When you put a BARC in a list like this or in any list, how do people use them?

++ Standard (Galactic Republic) [788 Points] ++

+ Commander +

•Clone Captain Rex [110 Points]: Commanding Presence, Overwatch, Recon Intel, Targeting Scopes

•Obi-Wan Kenobi [199 Points]: Force Guidance, Force Push, Tenacity

+ Corps +

Phase I Clone Troopers [98 Points]: Environmental Gear, Phase I Clone Captain, RPS-6 Phase I Trooper

Phase I Clone Troopers [77 Points]: Z-6 Phase I Trooper

Phase I Clone Troopers [92 Points]: DP-23 Phase I Trooper, Phase I Clone Trooper

Phase I Clone Troopers [103 Points]: DC-15 Phase I Trooper, Electrobinoculars, Phase I Clone Trooper

+ Support +

BARC Speeder [109 Points]: BARC RPS-6 Gunner, HQ Uplink

They generally don't. They're pretty clearly the weakest part of the Republic roster and worse than even Speeder Bikes, which don't see a huge amount of play competitively. Basically, take them if you have to, but now that Rex and R2 are out (and Phase 2s, to a lesser extent), you don't have to.

BARCs are bad, but, if you must take them, you should utilize them as flankers, and more importantly, units to Fire Support. With their Surge to Hit, you want a unit of clones to be able to use Fire Support for the BARC's attack.

However, the BARC cannot share tokens with other clones, and with its compulsory move, is difficult to maintain close to your army, so utilizing Fire Support may be made difficult due to your clone units not being in range of its target. Also, it is very squishy. All around, it's difficult to manage with the clone synergy you want; the BARC subtracts from this.

If you must, 1) use it as a quick flanker, and if using the RPS gunner, get into those side and rear-arcs of the new tanks to exploit their Weak Points; 2) use it as an attack to Fire Support, since Surge to Hit on a larger dice pool is good.

As you’ve loaded it, it’s your only anti-armor besides so Obi-Wan himself, and it doesn’t require melee to do that. It does depend on what you’re facing, but if the enemy doesn’t have armor, I’d probably use it to run interference for my clones while they’re moving up, Ie provide a different target until they can get into a cover position/get to the objective.

I like the Barcs to have the ion gun if I'm taking them. Compulsory move allows them to stay mobile and they can refresh every turn to maintain a constant barrage. Of course, if your opponent has no armor, they won't produce.

As an aside, why are you choosing Force Guidance over Force Reflexes? Both are 10 points and Reflexes is light years better for your army.

On 3/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, arnoldrew said:

They generally don't. They're pretty clearly the weakest part of the Republic roster and worse than even Speeder Bikes, which don't see a huge amount of play competitively. Basically, take them if you have to, but now that Rex and R2 are out (and Phase 2s, to a lesser extent), you don't have to.

Not sure on the speeder bikes , apparently did reasonably at the only large tournament (European championship) since shores and Tauntauns had their adjustment. On paper I'm not a fan of Barcs, however there could be a vehicle heavy meta coming so time will tell.