Hidden Markings - New Fic

By Doji Hyōkin, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I liked both of the main characters in this. More depth on Maezawa is good. And Mai is a sympathetic depiction and a very Phoenix reason for a samurai doing what they did.

Stop the presses, someone told an interesting story that actually required the use of Maho in particular.

Haven't been able to say that in a small eternity.

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I liked both of the main characters in this. More depth on Maezawa is good. And Mai is a sympathetic depiction and a very Phoenix reason for a samurai doing what they did.

Agreed on all points. I've been dying to see more of the Phoenix than "the shugenja Clan." Makes me wonder what would've happened if Mai had fled to the Unicorn lands - enemies of the Phoenix, familiar with strange spirits and strange magics, embodying the virtue of compassion. Maybe she'd be proven right... or maybe good intentions would pave the road to Jigoku.

Also - Hamsas!

Been reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone recently....

Now I want a buddy cop movie starring Kitsuki Chiari and Isaka Maezawa.

A brilliant but impulsive investigator and an old but cunning inquisitor solve mysteries whilst traveling along the Emerald Empire.

16 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

Now I want a buddy cop movie starring Kitsuki Chiari and Isaka Maezawa.

A brilliant but impulsive investigator and an old but cunning inquisitor solve mysteries whilst traveling along the Emerald Empire.

Cameo appearance by Daidoji Shin

35 minutes ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Cameo appearance by Daidoji Shin

I'd wait to see if I actually like the character before dropping him into random stories.

It was nice to see Maezawa again. I really like the cast of Phoenix characters that we've been introduced to so far. I'm still hoping we get to circle back to Tsukune and Kosori sooner rather than later. Though the story has mostly been centered on the capital so I can understand how they don't really fit into the story we've gotten so far.

It's a little odd to me the variation in screen time that the champions have gotten. Toturi and Shoju have been major characters. Yokuni has had a substantial influence, although he hasn't left his rock in the High House of Light. Altansarnai has done significant things, but we haven't seen her recently. Hotaru hasn't been around since early on, even though Kuwanan is coming to take the Clan from her. Kisada and Tsukune haven't done much of anything on-screen except set up the overall characters of their respective Clans. If we've reached the breaking point, and the Clan War is upon us, I imagine some champions will have to bestir themselves and make some decisions here (or Mirumoto Masashige will do it for you, Yokuni. O_-).