Hammerhead Assault Ship ready to strike!

By Makwiesel, in Terrain Building

I have been working a lot on my ship models based on feedback and am ready to present the Hammerhead Assault Ship!

rs=w:1300,h:800

That's pretty sexy... I've a few design quibbles, but I like it.

Nice dude! I can see loads of improvements, especially in the engines.

Thanks guys! I'm wrapping up a step-by-step build guide right now (as suggested by Ilostmycactus)

SFC Snuffy, there will always be design quibbles as nothing will satisfy everyone- but I'd like to hear what yours are- they may shape the next ship I build and I am not opposed to feedback- I'm still learning to do this and want to improve!

I can't quite tell from the angle, but would the airlock cannons blow off the hammerhead? If not then there would probably be some scorching. I would maybe reposition one or the other a bit. Just a thought.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:51 AM, Makwiesel said:

SFC Snuffy, there will always be design quibbles as nothing will satisfy everyone- but I'd like to hear what yours are- they may shape the next ship I build and I am not opposed to feedback- I'm still learning to do this and want to improve!

The cannons on the airlock(s) seem like a strange design. I would think that placing them there might interfere with getting a good seal with a station or other ship, or that routing the necessary power through that area to power the cannons might take up too much room in the airlock.

Additionally, hard-mounted cannons in a snubfighter make sense as it's maneuverable enough to bring those cannons to bear. In a ship the size of a gunboat or small freighter, I think a turret is more tactically flexible - you don't have to be flying toward your target to shoot at it.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, SFC Snuffy said:

The cannons on the airlock(s) seem like a strange design. I would think that placing them there might interfere with getting a good seal with a station or other ship, or that routing the necessary power through that area to power the cannons might take up too much room in the airlock.

Additionally, hard-mounted cannons in a snubfighter make sense as it's maneuverable enough to bring those cannons to bear. In a ship the size of a gunboat or small freighter, I think a turret is more tactically flexible - you don't have to be flying toward your target to shoot at it.

You make good points here.

I decided to place the cannons on the airlock tube because those tubes already jut out to the side so it is a good place to get clearance from the body. I did not consider the points you made mainly because in Star Wars they mount guns in all kinds of odd places where there's no way you could power, feed, or control a real modern weapon.

There is already a top- mounted turret in development that I will share soon. It replaces the top hatch. I figured that is for defense and the forward- mounted guns are for striking targets to the fore only.

As for the power and space constraints- I get it completely. I was actually kicking around the concept this morning at the airport and I'm going to build a weapon mounting structure like a canard wing/ hull bump- out just fore of the airlock to allow for that- it may take the place of the passenger door, but if the MCB corp is branching into fighting ships, I see that as one possible design evolution!

Thanks for your feedback! I will message you first when I have these so you can see before anyone else!

On 3/9/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ilostmycactus said:

I can't quite tell from the angle, but would the airlock cannons blow off the hammerhead? If not then there would probably be some scorching. I would maybe reposition one or the other a bit. Just a thought.

The crew that up- armed this particular ship (a stock salamander) did not take that into account. The cannons do NOT hit the hammerhead, they fire right over the top of it. It actually helps the gunners line up the shots. I hope somebody prints one and paints up scorched wings- I think it would look pretty cool. I will also look at the mount ans see if the guns could be raised without tweaking the rotator too badly. Thanks for your input! I'll send you a shot of an alternate mount when I have one spun up so you can see it first!

rs=w:1300,h:800

It's a pleasure to provide feedback for someone who's open to reasonable dialogue. Particularly in an age where people's feelings seem so easily bruised. 😉

10 minutes ago, SFC Snuffy said:

It's a pleasure to provide feedback for someone who's open to reasonable dialogue. Particularly in an age where people's feelings seem so easily bruised. 😉

I can't have easily bruised feelings and also expect to make any kind of headway with these ship designs! Plus, I was in the Army long before stress cards were a thing and I received my fair share of wall to wall counseling!

Been there, done that, buddy!

On 3/12/2020 at 4:04 PM, Makwiesel said:

I can't have easily bruised feelings and also expect to make any kind of headway with these ship designs! Plus, I was in the Army long before stress cards were a thing and I received my fair share of wall to wall counseling!

FM-22-102 For those who would like to see illustrated diagrams of wall-to-wall counseling sessions.

@Makwiesel. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!