Need Character Ideas

By Dr. Penguinstein, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Alright it's like this I'm currently in an EoTE campaign and the last session didn't go so well. I tried the new Force Adherent talent tree and it turned out to be pretty useless in a game heavy on space combat, then when I finally do get a mission, I get stuck on board the ship playing sabacc with the droid because, well aliens aren't exactly subtle when infiltrating the empire (or so the party put it). So I need new ideas for characters and ones that'll be useful. Setting is shortly after the Battle of Endor, a group of rebels, we've got 2 pilots, a medic, a droid slicer, a bounty hunter and an enforcer. I just need a character that'd be useful and fun for me to play.

I was thinking maybe a pirate, loosely inspired by Hondo (maybe going scoundrel), but I'm open to ideas for anything.

What sort of space combat? Are you all based on a single light freighter? Do you have starfighters? What exactly do your rebels do?

Colonist, Smuggler, and Explorer are obvious career selections, based on what's not there already. After Endor, isn't a Diplomat a good idea? Either that or someone familiar with getting by in the world? (i.e. Trader, Fringer, Politico) Who's going to reach out to (potential) new allies? Who's going to persuade Imperial Loyalists to surrender or change sides? Who's going to get a good deal on a new hyperdrive or ship weapon attachments?

You have a face for the party? What kind of play do you like? Scoundrel charmer?

I'm running an Edge home brew at the mo... started with DtP just for a start off for one guy who is a MASSIVE SW fan but never rp'ed before and now they are off to my home brew...

I have bullet pointed/mind mapped everything for each Obligation and Motivation for each Career and Spec for each character. I have informed the group that they have all been catered for one way or another

IIRC it states in one of the books, probably Core and maybe a splat or two, that it is the GMs job to entertain the players. This is a fault of the GM.. but if you're unhappy ask the GM where he is taking the campaign/adventure, TBH i have always found that a player's (and mine when playing) first idea for a character is usually the best. I had one player make three changes before first gaming session after the PC gen night... two sessions in they asked to change back to their first choice even after I catered for the Career & Spec.... go figure... and he went from liking the game so much to asking if we could play twice a week - to which I replied 'If I was unemployed Yes, as I could spend time writing stuff!!'

Look through all available splat etc and see what catches your eye, OR ask the GM if he has something in the pipeline for your FA choice

Edited by DidntFallAsleep66
On 3/13/2020 at 1:16 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

What sort of space combat? Are you all based on a single light freighter? Do you have starfighters? What exactly do your rebels do?

It's loosely based on the X-wing miniature game. Mostly space battles and infiltrating manufacturing bases. Although last time I managed to smuggle out a few battle droids heading for the scrap heap by disguising them as pilgrims

On 3/13/2020 at 10:30 PM, DurosSpacer said:

Colonist, Smuggler, and Explorer are obvious career selections, based on what's not there already. After Endor, isn't a Diplomat a good idea? Either that or someone familiar with getting by in the world? (i.e. Trader, Fringer, Politico) Who's going to reach out to (potential) new allies? Who's going to persuade Imperial Loyalists to surrender or change sides? Who's going to get a good deal on a new hyperdrive or ship weapon attachments?

Yeah I tried to be the face, I really did, but until the last game where he tried to humor me a bit, we had no need for one. Same thing with the last time I played a protocol droid.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:56 AM, Rean411 said:

You have a face for the party? What kind of play do you like? Scoundrel charmer?

Yeah I tried that, why I put a little extra in presence. It did come in handy last game, but mostly because he was humoring me.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:11 PM, DidntFallAsleep66 said:

I'm running an Edge home brew at the mo... started with DtP just for a start off for one guy who is a MASSIVE SW fan but never rp'ed before and now they are off to my home brew...

I have bullet pointed/mind mapped everything for each Obligation and Motivation for each Career and Spec for each character. I have informed the group that they have all been catered for one way or another

IIRC it states in one of the books, probably Core and maybe a splat or two, that it is the GMs job to entertain the players. This is a fault of the GM.. but if you're unhappy ask the GM where he is taking the campaign/adventure, TBH i have always found that a player's (and mine when playing) first idea for a character is usually the best. I had one player make three changes before first gaming session after the PC gen night... two sessions in they asked to change back to their first choice even after I catered for the Career & Spec.... go figure... and he went from liking the game so much to asking if we could play twice a week - to which I replied 'If I was unemployed Yes, as I could spend time writing stuff!!'

Look through all available splat etc and see what catches your eye, OR ask the GM if he has something in the pipeline for your FA choice

The force adherent was the idea that attracted me the most because I loved Chirrut and I figured it'd allow me to have an advantage tapping into the religious/mystical side of things without breaking the Jedi rule. And he mentioned something about being a spiritual voice for the team and I said ok that worked. Until it kind of showed he didn't really fit in.

Well it speaks volumes that they want to play twice a week, you must be one **** of a GM ^ ^

7 hours ago, Dr. Penguinstein said:

Yeah I tried that, why I put a little extra in presence. It did come in handy last game, but mostly because he was humoring me.

Doesn't seem like you have a very accommodating or nice GM if that's the case.

Go for an outdoor survival type like Scout, Big Game Hunter, Survivalist, Hunter, Executioner, or Hermit.

5 hours ago, Shawnacy said:

Doesn't seem like you have a very accommodating or nice GM if that's the case.

He tries and I give him credit for that.

4 hours ago, Yaccarus said:

Go for an outdoor survival type like Scout, Big Game Hunter, Survivalist, Hunter, Executioner, or Hermit.

Lol, that'd be as useful as a screendoor on a TIE fighter 😛

More or less, the only idea I have is Edna Mode as an engineer, someone who worked on luxury ships on Canto Bight and got sick of it. He kind of wants to push the edge of what's possible, mixing luxury and function to create not just the fastest and most powerful ships in the galaxy, but works of art. Figured I can do something on the ships, human is a bit boring, but I fit in better and I can kind of make their personality over the top.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Penguinstein said:

More or less, the only idea I have is Edna Mode as an engineer, someone who worked on luxury ships on Canto Bight and got sick of it. He kind of wants to push the edge of what's possible, mixing luxury and function to create not just the fastest and most powerful ships in the galaxy, but works of art. Figured I can do something on the ships, human is a bit boring, but I fit in better and I can kind of make their personality over the top.

That's a good idea. I'd suggest looking at Rigger from the Ace career, Modder and Mechanic from the Technician career, and Mechanic* and Shipwright from the Engineer career. Unless you actually intend to be crafting/crafting ships, only about half of Shipwright is useful and should probably be chosen as a second spec. Modder/Mechanic might be your best bet.

*Both the Engineer and Technician careers have a Mechanic spec. They are identical except for career skills and the other specs within the careers.

Ok just seen this but I'm playing a Chadra-Fan technician: outlaw tech, splicer. he a joy to play when we get too. kinda play him as Ratchet, but that was unintentional because all the other players play some sort of sensitive and started to say how much better they are so I keep threatening to not maintain or mod the weapons or just kill them when the missions over.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, Dr. Penguinstein said:

He tries and I give him credit for that.

Lol, that'd be as useful as a screendoor on a TIE fighter 😛

How about instead of a human make a clawdite? They can look human, or ithorian or chiss or or or, just don’t get caught shifting and is good. Take shipwrights if you have that book. Which one is it in?

but yeah clawdite shipright who makes works of arts for ships that are still functional and fast? Sounds awesome! Then if you wanted a gimick you could have a different shapeshift form every time your clients come to meet you and just don’t acknowledge it. Lol to see their faces.

Edited by Rean411
Ease of telling the diff between op poster and you quote
11 minutes ago, Rean411 said:

You should put your text below the quote, otherwise it's hard to tell what's from you and what's from the other person. It also means we can't easily quote your post.

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

You should put your text below the quote, otherwise it's hard to tell what's from you and what's from the other person. It also means we can't easily quote your post.

Sorry I’m not very good at editing posts yet. I’ll try to edit for clarity. My post starts with the sentence on clawdites.

It seems to me that what you to do is have a confab with your GM and find out exactly where he wants to take his campaign and what kinds of stories he feels like running and use that as a the basis for your next character. If your GM likes running a lot infiltration like games, a demolition expert or mechanic could be very handy, and as far as choosing a species, there are a lot of species that are human enough that they could pass for human under the right light or with minimal disguising. There are also some WEG era species that I have seen being written for FFG Star Wars that would pass exactly as human short of a medical examination. If your GM will allow them, you could have the best of both worlds between playing an alien and passing for human.

Martial artist doctor is pretty potent too. Precision strike choosing overpowered to attack a second time, pressure point to bypass soak. and discouraging wound for free destiny points.

Is the no jedi rule, no jedi or no force users.

Because if it's no jedi you could go for steelhand adept, eith far strike which let's you make a brawl attack as a ranged attack which would let you throw a pressure point or get a repulsor fist and throw the repulsor blast (iron man style).