Advise for "From the wreckage" quest

By Atreides73, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Tonight I'll play "From the wreckage" quest from Heir of Blood.

As Overlord I have to choose 3 group of monsters and I have thought to ask you some advises, to understand better how you choose your monsters, in general.

My goal will be to resist long enough with my Eliza Farrow and try to knock-out the heroes (to add a fatigue in my play area).

About monsters, I'm quite sure about Ettin for their attack characteristics and flash moulders for their healing traits.

Candidates for the third group are Barghest or Spiders. I would say barghest for the red dice when they attack, they are bigger so they can block a narrow passage better and they are a little more resistant

I like spiders because they are one more and they can poison.

What would you choose?

I have one question more about special rules for the quest.

It is said I can put a fatigue in overlord play area at start of each overlord turn. It is also said that if Eliza is adiacent to the objective token at the start of the turn, the special rules start to apply.

Can I put a fatigue even in the turn when the token is removed and the special rules start? I think everything happens in the same moment (that is "start of the turn")?

Thank you !

Edited by Atreides73

Dear Atreides,

Could you tell me something more about the Heroes and classes in play? Also what Overlord deck and perhaps plot deck do you have in play?

Do you have access to any expansions or are you "stuck" with the base game?

You have 2 phases in the quest, one where the decoy is not yet discovered (The Ruse) and the second phase where it is or Eliza has been damaged equal to health (Lair of the Lady). I think technically you are allowed to score a fatigue token if you enter phase 2 by discovering the decoy, as long as you do not do any other things first like activating monster groups.

(Edit: If you only have the base game, your open group choices are limited to Ettins, Flesh Moulders, Barghests, Spiders and Zombies.)

Edited by Skulmaster
More info

You are right! I've not specified I have only the base set: no expansion neither lieutenant pack (so no plot card).

Heroes are:

Grisban Berserker class

Thara Negromantic (with her living dead)

Avric Spiritspeaker

Jain Fairwood Wildlander

I can use Barghest too, thanks to the wilderness icon. I wouldn't choose zombies.

26 minutes ago, Skulmaster said:

I think technically you are allowed to score a fatigue token if you enter phase 2 by discovering the decoy, as long as you do not do any other things first like activating monster groups.

That's what I think too!

Hmm your Heroes seem fairly low on Strength and Awareness, use it well!:)

What is your Basic overlord deck like?

I'd for sure pick Flesh Moulders as 1st group, as you have no respawns and need to keep Eliza alive as well. Ettins seem like a 2nd solid pick with their damage/defense, try to Throw heroes in the pit places or Throw them away from Eliza. As 3rd group Barghests seem nice, they have quite the movement and though your party generally has high Willpower, 4x Howls will make quick work of the Reanimate.

Optionally, you could consider spiders, seeing your party has low strength and no means to remove conditions, Poison can be particularly nasty. But you can achieve the same with Scorpion's Kiss.

Edited by Skulmaster
Typo

Thank you Skulmaster! I think about your suggestions!