any must have books for non AoR game

By Oldmike1, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

what AoR books do you think are must have for any star wars games?

with the books getting harder to get are there any must have from the AoR line

The Ace book is good if you ever plan to do starship combat. It's kind of niche, but if you ever think you might want to do a starfighter squadron (even a fringe-oriented one), there's lots of useful stuff there.

The Diplomat book is good for giving face characters lots of interesting new options.

The Spy book has lots of good stuff for sneaky characters, including your EotE Thieves and Scoundrels.

The Solider book has some interesting stuff that might be useful for Hired Guns or Bounty Hunters, including a few specs that can help round out fighty-type characters.

The Engineer book has rules for crafting starships, and some specs that are good pairings for Technicians in EotE. Techie characters can gain a lot from the options it presents.

The Commander book is perhaps the least useful, but even it offers some potentially useful stuff for face characters from EotE or FnD. Of the six career books, I think it's the most skippable, though.

Edited by SavageBob

in addition to @SavageBob 's awesome recommendations, I would say the GM kit (if you don't have it) would be useful and I am also a big fan of Strongholds of Resistance for the background flavor.

1 hour ago, DangerShine Designs said:

in addition to @SavageBob 's awesome recommendations, I would say the GM kit (if you don't have it) would be useful and I am also a big fan of Strongholds of Resistance for the background flavor.

I have the EoE GM kit is there something that the AoR has not in the other?

I have the Core, strongholds, the spy and engineer books

looks like the pilot one is a good buy may look into the solider one

Whichever ones are unavailable are undeniably the most necessary. 😈

EDIT

Sorry, should have seen you mentioned what you already own....

========

Strongholds of Resistance is great if you're wanting a GM book (not bad for players per se, I just wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you're looking for a player centered book). If I was only going to recommend one book this is it.

Friends Like These is a great Adventure.

Onslaught at Arda I has a fantastic premise and Act I but requires lots of patching after that - so if you're looking for a rebel base with fleshed out personnel to fit a group into and just mine it for information and ideas it's really good but not as a cohesive adventure.

Diplomat book has rules for PCs to develop their own base/safe house/whatever which is cool.

I did find the Ace book nice if you have much space adventure - I particularly liked the Spending Advantage/Triumph/Threat/Despair tables as they really spiced up space combat as well as adding more pointers on space combat from dog fighting to massive fleet battles.

The Beginner Game (and free web supplement continuing the story) was great. I started my campaign with this, found it easy to add stuff to it as needed (is on Dxun so integrated Jedi progression was easy as Jedi/Sith stuff was around) and could have done more with it.

The other books I barely touched if at all in the last 3 years of GMing this game almost weekly.

Edited by Jedi Ronin
1 hour ago, Oldmike1 said:

The rules for squads and squadrons - aren't they only in the booklet with the GM screen?

20 minutes ago, Jedi Ronin said:

Friends Like These is a great Adventure.

Counter: Friends Like These is absolute garbage. There are plenty of threads on these boards that go into detail on why it's crap.

21 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

The rules for squads and squadrons - aren't they only in the booklet with the GM screen?

They are reprinted in Rise of the Separatists (pretty sure it's that one, definitely in one of the Clone Wars books).

4 hours ago, Oldmike1 said:

The aor gm screen is the best of the 3, includes squad and squadron rules.