RitR Post Pivotal Battle Sequence Questions

By Yipe, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I just wanted to confirm a few things regarding the post pivotal battle sequence for Rebellion in the Rim:

1. If a team has enough resources banked from previous rounds, can they build a base in the Determine Battle Effects step after a pivotal battle?

I believe this is allowed even though it isn't specifically called out as an option on page 24 under the Determine Battle Effects bullet point. On page 36, base building is listed as one of the options in that step, but I wasn't sure if the pivotal battle's restrictions superseded all available options of a given step unless explicitly stated in the rules?

2. If a team has a resource token banked, can they spend it to remove a Low Fuel condition card in the Refit and Expand Fleets step after a pivotal battle?

Same thing. It's not called out as an option on page 24, but it is part of the step as listed on pages 18 and 36. I would say that it's allowed, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Yipe said:

I just wanted to confirm a few things regarding the post pivotal battle sequence for Rebellion in the Rim:

1. If a team has enough resources banked from previous rounds, can they build a base in the Determine Battle Effects step after a pivotal battle?

I believe this is allowed even though it isn't specifically called out as an option on page 24 under the Determine Battle Effects bullet point. On page 36, base building is listed as one of the options in that step, but I wasn't sure if the pivotal battle's restrictions superseded all available options of a given step unless explicitly stated in the rules?

2. If a team has a resource token banked, can they spend it to remove a Low Fuel condition card in the Refit and Expand Fleets step after a pivotal battle?

Same thing. It's not called out as an option on page 24, but it is part of the step as listed on pages 18 and 36. I would say that it's allowed, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks!

The answer to number 2 is yes. The Refit and Expand Fleets step is where you discard conditions. It does not matter if it is a normal round or the Pivotal Act.

Number 1: Can you build a base after a pivotal battle? My guess is no. In the pivotal battle section (page 24 RitR Book) under "Determine Battle Effects" it states "Some pivotal battle objectives instruct players to add or remove base or presence stickers on the map." In each of the battle types there is a pretty clear idea of what happens regarding bases.
I also would consider that the Pivotal Battle occurs directly after the previous Management Phase where you would have placed bases anyways.

One thing we found odd was that there was no ability to add commander effects after the pivotal battle and you are waiting until after the next round to assign new skills.

The sentence on page 24 that you quoted is what's giving me trouble. But it does say you carry out the Determine Battle Effects step which on page 36 clearly states you can build bases. I'm just not sure if the pivotal battle's objective overrides the base building aspect of the Determine Battle Effects step, or is in addition to it. The conservative reading is that you can't build bases, which is probably for the best as yet another anti-snowball mechanism.

I wonder if not being allowed to spend XP (you only earn it for a pivotal battle) is a way to help a struggling team? Even though the losing team gets +1 XP, if they lost the pivotal battle badly, the winners could easily get 2-3 XP (or even more) and be even stronger going into the next chapter. Just a thought though, I'm not sure what the design reasons are for generating XP in the pivotal battle but not being able to do anything with it.

23 hours ago, Yipe said:

The sentence on page 24 that you quoted is what's giving me trouble. But it does say you carry out the Determine Battle Effects step which on page 36 clearly states you can build bases. I'm just not sure if the pivotal battle's objective overrides the base building aspect of the Determine Battle Effects step, or is in addition to it. The conservative reading is that you can't build bases, which is probably for the best as yet another anti-snowball mechanism.

I spent some time thinking about this and went back to the rules. The only Pivotal battle in which a team gains a resource token is Evacuation. The Assaulting Player gains 1 resource token if they win. The Defending team gains a base and potentially a resource token if they win. In either case, unless the team already has 1 resource token and a location with their presence sticker on it, no bases could be played at this time. I say this under the assumption that during the previous management phase, resource tokens were expended to build bases, etc.

Note that on page 24 under "Determine Battle Effects" it also states the the rewards, etc. are described in the pivotal battle objectives. I'll stand by my original statement.

I agree that this is vague, therefore I would discuss it with the opposing team to determine how best to proceed for your campaign. Prime example I have dealt with are tabling rules especially if you are used to competitive play. I don't think they are good for the campaign, but others think they are vital. Having said all that, I also get the feeling that the campaign was not fully tested or that minimally I am playing it in a way unintended by the rules as there appear to be parts of the game that don't flow as well as others.