Salvo and Quad laser turrets

By EagleScoutof007, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

I was playing around with a Raider build. Quad laser turrets gives counter 1 without AA dice. Salvo a squadron uses AA dice. I was looking at the RRG and rules for Salvo, but couldn't figure the time window you could use them if they can work together. Any thoughts on this?

3 minutes ago, EagleScoutof007 said:

I was playing around with a Raider build. Quad laser turrets gives counter 1 without AA dice. Salvo a squadron uses AA dice. I was looking at the RRG and rules for Salvo, but couldn't figure the time window you could use them if they can work together. Any thoughts on this?

Salvo has a timing of “after resolving damage” and counter has a timing of “after attacked”. This means you would do two separate attacks. First you would salvo with your anti-squadron armament, then you would perform a separate counter attack with one blue die.

23 minutes ago, EagleScoutof007 said:

They don’t work “together,” per se, but they can both work as two separate retaliatory attacks to the same squadron. So, for example, you have your Raider-I, outfitted as follows:

Raider-I

Agent Kallus

External Racks

Quad Laser Turrets

Local Fire Control

I shoot this ship with Gold Squadron, roll my two blues, and get a couple hits. You spend Salvo. Now, you have a Salvo attack and a Counter 1 attack coming, and I’m pretty sure you can resolve them in any order.

[EDIT: I may be wrong about this. Astrodar seems to have the timing windows. My example still works]

So you Salvo first, using your full anti-squadron value (two black dice). Because of the rules of Salvo, you are not allowed to use Agent Kallus OR External Racks (or anything else) to add any dice to this attack, so you roll your two blacks, and get two hits.

Then you Counter 1. Counter uses blue dice by definition, but there isn’t anything preventing you from adding dice to a Counter attack, so you roll your one blue, scoring a hit. Agent Kallus decides to throw in a black die, since Gold Squadron is unique. Another hit! At this point, you decide that maybe grabbing 12 points is a great idea, and you decide to discard External Racks for two more blacks. Two more hits! Gold Squadron goes down.

Edited by Cpt ObVus
12 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

[EDIT: I may be wrong about this. Astrodar seems to have the timing windows. My example still works]

Yep, Astrodar is right about the timing; the resolve damage step is part of the attack sequence, while counter attacks occur after the original attack.

But the example holds strong.