Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

They did mention there will be smugglers, bounty hunters, and others. The YA novel, in fact, has a cast that has non-Jedi in it - there's even a droid! I think it's just initially as the "Jedi in their prime" - which we haven't seen canonically before, to be fair - and then they can introduce other characters in the stories.

Pre-ordered the Light of the Jedi novel out of curiosity.

Makes me wonder if one of those beacons is attacked causing an investigation leading to the discovery of iconic outer rim worlds perhaps explaining why that zabrak and twi'lek are dressed up in that gear I assume means they're part of the Nihil.

17 hours ago, StarkJunior said:

They did mention there will be smugglers, bounty hunters, and others. The YA novel, in fact, has a cast that has non-Jedi in it - there's even a droid! I think it's just initially as the "Jedi in their prime" - which we haven't seen canonically before, to be fair - and then they can introduce other characters in the stories.

If "Jedi in their prime" means relatable characters instead of the pod people who obsess over attachements and indoctrinate children we've come to know, I'm there for it.

41 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

If "Jedi in their prime" means relatable characters instead of the pod people who obsess over attachements and indoctrinate children we've come to know, I'm there for it.

I think this would be before they started on the path to that mad thinking...

Moderately intrigued since they seem to actually be trying to cover new ground, but given that Disney Wars hasn't produced much that has actually wanted me to stick around I'll probably give it a pass.

My thoughts from this:

1. I really hope diversity doesn’t mean shallow characters and propaganda. Star Wars has always had diversity but some writers today are so obsessed with diversity that the identity (race, sex, sexual preference) is all the character has. Game of Thrones has characters that are diverse but the disabled character doesn’t constantly bring up they or disabled or the gay character doesn’t constantly have to say they are gay. They are just people like real life. Also some of the diversity stuff deserves to be questioned as long as Kennedy is around with that “force is female” stuff. When you try to turn the force which is in ALL living beings into a propaganda thing.

2. I hope some of that whiteboard stuff is just for the video and not real. Needing to put that you have space battles and lightsabers in STAR WARS? Being completely anti-war? The Sith Empire when lore clearly has established there was none?

3. This is my most important point. Why does Disney and Star Wars comics deserve the benefit of the doubt after what Marvel was allowed to do. Artists were caught taking pictures of models of ships made by fans on the internet and literally tracing them for art in the books. They even stole original designs created by fans. If that wasn’t enough they were so lazy they actually traced the model stands of the ships in the art! When that is the standard of the Disney Star Wars comics they need to prove that they can actually put in the effort and put out a good product.

Independent of philosophy, Any chance there will be a sourcebook?

Will Fantasy Flight rights for the RPG be transfered?

On 3/8/2020 at 3:35 PM, rudolpht said:

Independent of philosophy, Any chance there will be a sourcebook?

Will Fantasy Flight rights for the RPG be transfered?

They transferred when Asmodee bought FFG. and likely they will do it if they still have the license a few years from now. But if it is llike the sequel trilogy they couldnt do anything till the lock Disney has on the era lifts. which we dont know when that would be. on the other hand we pretty muchhave what we need to do the era.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, phillybuckeye said:

3. This is my most important point. Why does Disney and Star Wars comics deserve the benefit of the doubt after what Marvel was allowed to do. Artists were caught taking pictures of models of ships made by fans on the internet and literally tracing them for art in the books. They even stole original designs created by fans. If that wasn’t enough they were so lazy they actually traced the model stands of the ships in the art! When that is the standard of the Disney Star Wars comics they need to prove that they can actually put in the effort and put out a good product.

This is not a Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel issue. This is simply a comic book issue, and it has been for decades.

Some comicbook artists are very lazy, and are known to take... let's call them shortcuts. These artists also tend to have work that looks really pretty which makes them popular and gets them placed on high profile books, which sell really well, so nobody has got any incentive to stop it.

Here's the same artist, Salvador Larocca, in an Iron Man book from 2011.

ZKZlwrk0-0es0-ANm0-HLY2y-KLp-H5d-XTF1h9-

And here is a colection of an even worse colleague of his, who has never done Star Wars to my knowledge.

http://jimsmashextended.blogspot.com/2008/07/greg-land-tracing-swiping-recycling.html

Edited by micheldebruyn

u8nxcksri1951.jpg

On 3/5/2020 at 5:09 AM, phillybuckeye said:

Also some of the diversity stuff deserves to be questioned as long as Kennedy is around with that “force is female” stuff. When you try to turn the force which is in ALL living beings into a propaganda thing.

That was literally a slogan used to sell Nike stuff. https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.com/index.php?threads/the-force-is-female-a-bs-story.55174/

22 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

You posted/spammed this like three times.

Would you mind giving some context? What is this fragment of text even supposed to be? Where is it from?

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

You posted/spammed this like three times.

Would you mind giving some context? What is this fragment of text even supposed to be? Where is it from?

This looks very much like a book blurb. (And not a particularly well-written one). Still, I'm very psyched for the High Republic publishing initiative myself; this is going to be very interesting to delve into! :D