Elemental Steam (An Introduction)

By Sturn, in Your Settings

Hopefully the Foundry sticks around for a project I've been working on. I believe it will be months (without specifying how many) before I get this in publishable form. Please give opinions on where I'm headed. Since it's still in very rough form and I can't help but keep adding content, now is the time to make changes.

Elemental Steam: An Introduction

Edited by Sturn

Looks interesting need to flesh it out a little bit more. This looks like you are trying on the Victorian setting. kind of like a steampunkish setting which is lacking right now.

Thanks for replying!

This is just the introduction document. I've got loads more of the setting and game supplements. I've got working documents of all of those future supplements listed at the end of the intro.

Regarding steampunk. I used "steam" in the title for a reason. If steampunk is Victorian-era tech emulating modern, then this is middle ages tech emulating Victorian perhaps? I don't know if anyone has invented a title for that yet.

When a campaign starts, it should be more of an early middle ages or late ancients technology. But, there once was a Victorian era. So, there are relics of this begone era (from the High/Sky Kingdom). When these relics are discovered, scavenged, and understood, there will be a renaissance of gunpowder and steam-era tech perhaps supplemented by sorcery. As in you might have a dirigible that is propelled by an air sorcerer. Or, a crude bronze cannon that is "buffed" by a fire elementalist.

All of that will be later in a campaign. I've found in past attempts at being a good GM/Referee, that a campaign can get stale if it's same-o same-o for too long. So, I envision an Elemental Steam campaign beginning without much in the way of sorcery, but it is soon re-discovered as magic comes back to the lands. Later, after that has been fleshed out, a master craftsman PC might discover some ancient Victorian era tech in some ruins and begin to build a musket, air ship, etc, changing the campaign yet again. And I do have an endgame campaign if ever needed. The idea is there is enough new in the setting to be introduced when things get boring.

Cleaned up the typos and grammar a bit more for the Introductory PDF. Still plodding along with the core documents.

Edited by Sturn