RITR eventual list does it have enough firepower?

By DakkaDakka12, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

I know RITR starts with a 200 point fleet, but it eventually reaches 300 if I understand correctly. Do you think this list lacks firepower for 300? and would it have issues with beating other 300 point RITR fleets? A few have suggested using a large base in RITR and that black dice are easier to use so I am tempted to run a list with a MC-75 instead but flavor-wise I kinda like this list because all the ships are named making it have a more thematic feel.

Name: Potential neb campaign wip ii
Faction: Rebel
Commander:

Assault:
Defense:
Navigation:

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51)
• Intel Officer (7)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
• Vanguard (4)
= 71 Points

• Intel Officer (7)
• Auxiliary Shields Team (3)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
• Salvation (7)
= 74 Points

• Ahsoka Tano (2)
• Projection Experts (6)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
• Redemption (8)
= 73 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Comms Net (2)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 29 Points

Squadrons:
• 3 x A-wing Squadron (33)
• 2 x Y-wing Squadron (20)
= 53 Points

Total Points: 300

As written, RitR campaigns top out at 250 points, not 300. So there’s a problem.

Your “eventual” list probably has “enough” firepower. But take my advice: DO NOT build your RitR lists this way. Building to 500 and walking it back worked OK with The Corellian Conflict, but trying to do it that way with RitR is hopeless. Unique upgrades are very difficult to come by, so trying to put together complicated interactions between unique Titles and unique Officers and all that is very iffy.

Build an RitR list that wins NOW, on its own, at 200. Sure, you can dream big, and plot where you’d LIKE to go with it at 250, but very often, you won’t ever fight a single battle at a system that offers the upgrade you’re hunting.

Also: ALWAYS take two strong unique squadrons at the outset of the campaign, unless you have a plan that makes that totally impossible, like Starhawk I, Hammerhead TC, GR75MT. Those two aces (and squadrons in general) form a disproportionately large part of your 200 point fleet, and their power looms very large. You can always round out with a few generics later, but the aces are hard to get, especially the ones that cost more than 24 points, like Boba Fett, Hera, and Han Solo.

Oh, one more thing: the Nebulon-B gunline is a pretty risky RitR fleet. There are certain ships and certain tactics that just eat Neb-Bs alive, especially barebones Neb-Bs that don’t have all of the bells and whistles and unique officers and whatnot that you can get for them in Standard Armada. If you hit an opponent that just has your number, you may find the opposing team just picking that guy to cover you every round, and you might not get anywhere.

Diversify. The best times to run multiple of the same RitR ships is when they’re strong all-rounders (two Assault Frigates? Go for it). Nebulons, you might get away with two of, but I wouldn’t go for three.

Edited by Cpt ObVus

tyvm for the info @Cpt ObVus I must have misread as I thought they maxed at 300.

That information changes everything btw is Hera/solo worth it?

Hera seems strictly worse than a flotilla unless I plan to run her with a pair of Scurrgs to make use of grit for all 3 is there another situation where you would prefer Hera over a flotilla?

Solo seems like he is great at killing squadrons but I question his usefulness against ships after all the fighters are gone, maybe if he is the only squadron he is worth it as pure fighter defense, but if you are putting more than 26 points into squadrons and you dont mind activating your squadrons I feel like Shara/tycho are better against fighters and better against ships.

on a side note how would a Starhawk do in RITR?

50 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

On a side note how would a Starhawk do in RITR?

Nigh impossible to kill, I'd say (especially early), and possibly the Great White Whale of your campaign group.

1 hour ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

tyvm for the info @Cpt ObVus I must have misread as I thought they maxed at 300.

That information changes everything btw is Hera/solo worth it?

Hera seems strictly worse than a flotilla unless I plan to run her with a pair of Scurrgs to make use of grit for all 3 is there another situation where you would prefer Hera over a flotilla?

Solo seems like he is great at killing squadrons but I question his usefulness against ships after all the fighters are gone, maybe if he is the only squadron he is worth it as pure fighter defense, but if you are putting more than 26 points into squadrons and you dont mind activating your squadrons I feel like Shara/tycho are better against fighters and better against ships.

on a side note how would a Starhawk do in RITR?

I would agree with @mearn4d10. Starhawk is a HARD target for an RitR campaign, but I suspect it might have difficulties catching and killing smaller ships.

I’ll address the rest of that in a minute. 8-year old needs something! :D

3 hours ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Hera is better and worse than a GR75.

if you’re looking at pure activation count, worse. Her ability to Rogue a couple of squadrons... worse, sort of. The squadrons need to wait until the squadron phase to move and shoot, but the GR75 needs to call up a squadron command... and maybe it really needs to use a different command that turn, because it needs to Comms Net a Nav token to a ship that really needs to change speeds. And then, yes, the GR75 activates two squads. Hera gives two squads Rogue. But the GR75 has an ok-but-unimpressive single black (or maybe blue) die flak, while Hera is one of the best squadron-killers in the Alliance. And against ships, Hera throws two dice, with a very decent chance of doing two damage. The GR75 really doesn’t want to get close to most enemy ships, and throws a maximum of 1 die when it does (unless you ConFire).

Han, meanwhile, is amazing, in that he can Rogue out at the very start of the turn, potentially killing an enemy ship or squad and then disappearing, or moving in and attacking from nowhere. He’s pretty much equivalent to Hera dice-wise, so no slouch. He’s one of the best anti-squad guys you can get, and not bad at all against ships. And with two Brace tokens, he’s more survivable than Hera, too.

Edited by Cpt ObVus
8 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

But take my advice: DO NOT build your RitR lists this way.

Build an RitR list that wins NOW, on its own, at 200.

Also: ALWAYS take two strong unique squadrons at the outset of the campaign

Quoted because I strongly echo these sentiments.

We've now played one complete and are almost to the pivotal battle in the second campaign. So we're seeing the same kinds of things in our games and have seen how our lists have evolved.

First, Definitely build to win now. This means looking precisely at what your fleets have in them and what upgrades they need. TRC90s for example are potent right from the start. OE or LS on certain ships gives them the hitting power they need.

Second, keep your build flexible. Part of the fun in RITR is that you can adjust to what your opponents are doing. This might be in the form of what squads you take, but it can also be in the form of upgrades. You can then tailor those upgrades so that your lists better counter your opponents' lists. Do not pick upgrades that might tailor to specific fleets you see competitively at 400 points. Those upgrades might provide less utility to your fleet in the campaign, and at 200 points, they eat up a disproportionately larger part of your list. Furthermore, since your list only evolves slowly, those upgrades represent opportunity costs for other upgrades that might be more useful. Your first opportunity to pick an upgrade is at fleet design. Make it count.

Third, definitely look ahead to how your fleets combine for the pivotal battle. I don't have a magic deployment, squad or activation count, but simply keep an eye on it.

Fourth, remember that RITR games are played to victory points. Killing one squad and jetting is a perfectly good win.

Fifth, the game has a strategic dimension. I call the tactical dimension the level of initial list design and how the individual games play out. The strategic dimension concerns the VP totals, where on the map you decide to assault, the value of specific tokens, how you're going about building bases and where. Some fleets thrive greatly on specific tokens and bases. There are so many good places on the map that no one gets shut off at the initial base set-up, but depending upon how the games unfold, you might find one or both sides picking bases.

Sixth, extremes tend to work out well, same as at 400 points. You want to have a particular list idea and then carry out that idea extremely well. This could be squads or activations.

Seventh, despite having all the upgrades available to you, resist simply trying to fill every upgrade slot, same as you would at 400 points. But do recognize because of how assaults and defenses work that your fleet will evolve based on the campaign. Be flexible with your build. It is helpful if you can enjoy a small addition to your fleet.

Eight, have a plan for if you lose. In our second campaign round, one of our guys developed a fleet that would reach full 250 points after 5 rounds of play, and he could get most of it on losses and only needed a handful of green objectives for uniques. Another one of our players picked a fleet that ideally wanted a bunch of expensive stuff. This is doubly true when you throw player skill in the mix. The player who wanted the expensive stuff was one of our weaker players, so he's also less likely to get it.

Ninth, Recognize that squads are one of the easiest pulls to get in quantity. Even picking up two generic squads can greatly enhance your list. Furthermore, squads can be discarded with a cheap upgrade type to get a more powerful one. So while you might start with two uniques and two generic squads at the start of the game, you can play a green objective with squads and pick a new ace or two, and then discard the generics to turn a 3-5 point upgrade into a more powerful one that you really need. Indeed, this is one of the best ways to conserve points at list design. For example, DTT is 5 points. If you really need specific units, I'd get those first, and then worry about turning DTT into TRC.

Tenth, recognize that some squads are quite a bit better as veterans than others. Maarek and Dash have innate rerolls/dice adjustment, so while Veteran status still improves them, not as much. Ten Numb is really enjoying his Veteran status in my game, and others with powerful crit effects can be greatly benefited.

Eleventh, think about your build not just from the standpoint of your fleet, but also your commander path. Some of the commander abilities incentivize certain fleet types. Some of them can mitigate the need to use specific upgrades elsewhere in your list.

Twelth, uniques are not difficult, they just require thought and planning. You have plenty of green objective opportunities. This includes your assault(s) every round, but also what the opponents pick. Since they often want the same things (titles, officers). some of it comes down to whether everyone really wants to go for the uniques or decides to steer away from them. In our latest round of games, people dived on unique objectives quickly. So we saw titles go out in the first round, officers and squadrons go out in the second round, and we're looking at 3 unique objectives being played in the third round. The Demonstration of Force pivotal battle is also considered a unique objective for the purpose of upgrades, so that can help.

Finally, on Starhawk in RITR. Yes, it is hard to kill. I had an opponent with even odds though last game, but the dice were with me, so I lived. It isn't a slam dunk. In our first campaign, we saw very few large ships go down. If you aren't built to take down a large, then you're not getting down. So that applies even more to a Starhawk. One critical question however is that you sacrifice both squads and activation count to get it, and you end up with a ship whose overall firepower is about the same as the MC75 30-40 points behind it. In my first campaign, I played MC75, CR90, Tycho/Shara, GR75. That had strong whaling potential, a respectable squad presence from two of the best rebel squads, and the right 3 activation count. It had a really strong upgrade path that worked well on losses and made wins count for itself. In contrast, I now have a Starhawk without the Magnites, which are pretty good on it and I wish I had. I've got Rapid Launch Bay B-wings. That gives me the chance to dump them at the opportune moment to minimize damage from enemy squads and pick off as much as I can of the enemy. I'll have to sit down and think about the Starhawk some more. I think for the present campaign, it has worked out, but I don't think it will work out absolutely every campaign. We're entering round-3. In round-1, I faced a heavy squad single activation ISD as second player, and that worked out strongly to my advantage, eventually winning the squad game and I think picking up a victory token or two. In round-2, I was first against an Onager list. From the pre-game dice estimations, I figured this would be close. Maneuvering and double-arcs would matter. In the end, I pulled out the win. I just added Derlin/Flight Commander, somewhat looking at the meta I was facing (Onager, Arquittens).