Jade Strike (again)

By BioNaota, in Rules Questions

I'm looking for answer to the question and don't find any official answer, but many questions...

If we read the spell descriptions affects to everyone than serves Fu Leng, but when you read de rules only affects Otherwordly... That must be a mistake because goblins or maho are not Otherwordly but Ki-Rin yues... only Oni and Undead are Otherwordly and Tainted... The only way to affect Tainted creatures is to use an advantage and converte the damage in sacred... But is a stupid thing becaus Jade already is sacred!!!

Whats the official answer?

Sorry, I can understand than is a recurrent question but I don't find any clear answer.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:50 AM, BioNaota said:

I'm looking for answer to the question and don't find any official answer, but many questions...

If we read the spell descriptions affects to everyone than serves Fu Leng, but when you read de rules only affects Otherwordly... That must be a mistake because goblins or maho are not Otherwordly but Ki-Rin yues... only Oni and Undead are Otherwordly and Tainted... The only way to affect Tainted creatures is to use an advantage and converte the damage in sacred... But is a stupid thing becaus Jade already is sacred!!!

Whats the official answer?

Sorry, I can understand than is a recurrent question but I don't find any clear answer.

It should affect Tainted too (why not?).
If I remember correctly, at some point they said so too.

But... even when there was an RPG dept, they never were really good with maintenance and communication and f.a.q (they make errors in their errata, they do not tackle most important subjects, they forget to update their pdf...), and now, well, there is just nobody left to take care of anyting, so we can expect even less.

Edited by Avatar111

Short answer: there's no official answer.

Longer short answer: houserule however you want.

I would say it affects any Undead or Tainted or Tainted Otherworldly target.

It doesn't make sense to be able to hit a Kami (that is not Fu Leng) with this invocation.

Thank you for both answers... so sad to read the totally forgotten of this game by the FFG.

Then, houserules, tainted also are affected by Jade Strike.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Given the sidebar next to Jade Strike which talks about it affecting Tainted beings, it's easy to suspect that it was supposed to affect Tainted, rather than Otherworldly or at least both.

Put it in a support question, you'll usually get an answer and it might end up in the next errata.

1 hour ago, Myrion said:

Given the sidebar next to Jade Strike which talks about it affecting Tainted beings, it's easy to suspect that it was supposed to affect Tainted, rather than Otherworldly or at least both.

Agreed. If you compare the 'published' version to the beta, 'Shadowlands Taint' got swapped for 'Otherworldly' instead of 'Tainted' for some reason. Beta Version:

"If you succeed and the target is a Shadowlands creature or a character with the Shadowlands Taint disadvantage, it suffers a critical strike with severity equal to your Earth ring plus your bonus successes. If you succeed and your target is not a Shadowlands creature or a character with the Shadowlands Taint disadvantage, it suffers no ill effects."

Yeah, if it comes up in my game, I'll likely rule it that way.

I might consider it affecting both, though, to have it be a sort of "sacred power of the mortal realm" rather than just anti-Taint.

It used to be an 'anti-Taint' tool.

If it was different in the beta, I expect some testers found just "Tainted or Shadowlands" too narrow to justify dropping a tech slot, but also too universal if you actually played a Shadowlands game. Many Tainted beings are also Otherworldly, and it's entirely possible some stats for NPCs which are not should also be (Are goblins native to ningen-do?), while also meaning you've got a pretty basic way to bust a ghost or yokai if it comes up. I'd file the support ticket, and until there's a clarification (or even if they rule the other way, your table your rules) I'd go for extrapolating it as Tainted or Otherworldly.

On the goblins, I think they are native to ningen-do. The blurb about the next scenario seems to say that you can see goblins in meido, going through the wheel...

Unless changed in the FFG timeline, Goblins are native to nigen-do. They are, on the other hand, completely Tainted.

7 hours ago, Diogo Salazar said:

Unless changed in the FFG timeline, Goblins are native to nigen-do. They are, on the other hand, completely Tainted.

Exactly as previously. They are entirely mortal creatures. Smelly, unkempt, and not particularly spiritual at the best of times.