My Wealth Idea

By edgey, in Your Settings

I have been toying with a system of my own for Wealth, it's only been a few hours so its very bare bones right now. I wanted something in my modern horror game that is more realistic to how we typically live. Most people have a home of some kind, a trailer, a hotel room, a house, a mansion. And most people have a mode of transportation, a car, a bike, a bus pass. Making everything dollars and cents either means the players get nickled and dimed, for everything, or there is a lot of handwaving and weird bookkeeping.

Wealth also can have scale and abstract things, like base upgrades or investing in a small business.

Any thoughts/input would be helpful.

There is a new Special Attribute called Wealth and a Special Skill called Funds .

Both Wealth and Funds can have 1-5 points invested in them, just like Attributes & Skills, and like Attributes/Skills each "dot" can but used as your typical skill roll, giving green/yellow dice to your roll.

Wealth (the attribute) is a fixed number that basically states how wealthy the player is, this would also cover their standard of living:

0- Destitute

1- Poor

2- Modest

3- Average

4 - Wealthy

5 - Rich

Funds are more fluid, they are your cash on hand, a bag of nice gems you find might be worth 2 Funds , while the small money clip you steal might be worth 1.

You can buy anything at or below your wealth rating without a roll, anything above your wealth rating requires a roll.

Items "cost" is represented by a purple rating of 1-5, as well as a threshold rating of 1-5.

The threshold is the number of successes required to purchase the item, while the purple rating would be the number of purple dice added to the roll.

If you don't get enough successes you can spend either Funds or Wealth to generate an auto-success .

If the item is restricted the purchase requires a roll regardless of your wealth rating, and a purple die is upgraded to a red die for each level of restricted.

Example:

• Rick has a Wealth of 2 & a Funds of 3 meaning he rolls 2 yellow and 1 green on his Purchase roll.
  • Rick wants to buy a Motorcycle that has a cost of 3 & a cost threshold of 2 .
  • He now must roll to see if he can purchase the item. The roll is 2 yellow, 1 green (Wealth 2/Funds 3) vs 2 purple (item cost).
  • Rick rolls a single success (53% chance) but needs a second success in order to purchase the item, Rick spends one of his three funds, lowering his Funds Rating from 3 to 2. Wealth can also be used, granting an additional success, but Wealth is much harder to increase, more below.

Blue/Black die can be added to this roll depending on the circumstances of the purchase. Negotiation to get a blue, being in a hurry to close the deal might add a black, rarity also might be lowered with a Streetwise roll.

Despairs would take away a level of Wealth/Funds, while a Triumph would add a level of Funds .

Wealth level can be increased by collecting a number of Funds equal to 5 times the target level of Wealth being invested in the Players "Savings", meaning they can no longer be used (or its more difficult) for purchases. Raising your wealth from 2 to 3 would cost 15 Funds to be invested. Raising your wealth from 2 to 4 would cost 35 Funds (3*5 + 4*5).

Wealth of a group, company, corporation would be treated as a Silhouette rating.

Starting Wealth would be defaulted to 2, but you can raise/lower it by 1 during character creation giving different advantages/disadvantages.