Is there still a possibility of an expansion?

By karat, in Middle-earth Quest

It's been a while with no news of an expansion. Does anyone know how well this game sold? Or could it possibly be that LCGs are getting all the developer time? Or is it still possible that there will be an expansion?

I wouldn't mind news of an expansion, but realistically, I think it is too soon, at least if you take other games into comparison. Age of Conan came out early 09 (vs August 09 for MEQ) and only now is there actual news about its first expansion. Not sure if game like Chaos in the Old World will get an expansion, but that also came out earlier than MEQ IIRC and has no mention of an expansion.

I think board game expansions take a lot more time and energy to churn out than LCG expansions.

So, now the quest is whether the LotR LCG is going to increase or decrease the odds of there being a boardgame expansion?

The release of Warhammer: Invasion was accompanied with Chaos in the Old World, so it is possible that an expansion to this could help promote the LCG.

On the other hand, I doubt that. I may be more likely that MEQ didn't do that well, and the LCG is an alternate way of getting money from the license.

This would be a shame, since I really liked MEQ but felt it needed some more variety.

karat said:

So, now the quest is whether the LotR LCG is going to increase or decrease the odds of there being a boardgame expansion?

That's what I've been wondering about, too.

I'd imagine they'll initially concentrate on getting out several expansion packs for the LCG before they start working on a boardgame expansion.

Another possible scenario: They had been working on an expansion for the boardgame when they realized it might work as it's own separate game, namely the LCG we're now seeing.

Anyway, I think there's still hope for a boardgame expansion. Similar to the synergistic relation between Arkham Horror and the CoC LCG, when a sufficient amount of new art and mechanisms have been created for the LCG they'll have enough material to draw from to create a cost-effective expansion for the boardgame.

if they did come out with an expansion what do y'all think they should put in it? I would like more characters, and I think that making more goals and events would be fairly easy. but it would be nice to have more monsters, powerful artefacts for both sides to struggle for like dwarven and elven rings.i was just thinking that runebound is much easier to expand. you just change the story and add more goodies and character options.

Keggy said:

I think board game expansions take a lot more time and energy to churn out than LCG expansions.

Battle Of Westeros? Thats new and already 2 expansions. FAST.

BL has 10

Descent ALOT

Runebound ALOT

Grove12345 said:

Battle Of Westeros? Thats new and already 2 expansions. FAST.

BL has 10

Descent ALOT

Runebound ALOT

Of those, I think BoW was designed with the missing factions already taken into account, so putting those out so fast wasn't anything shocking. BL wasn't originally a FFG license, they've expanded on it. Descent and RB have gotten one expansion this year, but they have been out for quite a number of years already. Age of Conan is still supposed to get an expansion eventually, it was released in January 09 (vs August 09 for MEQ).

I just wanted to take the chance to bump this thread and see if I can stir up some more talk about a possible expansion. Now that Chaos has received its long-overdue expansion, is MEQ next on the list? I can only pray to the Dark Eye that one is in the works. I think this is an absolutely incredible game, and could really get some more life breathed into it with a well-placed expansion. The time is now!

I'd love to see an expansion with some more characters. A hobbit character would be especially awesome.

There are a lot of little things that could be added to this game, but characters would be great.

It would also be fantastic to have a co-op/solo game mode - highly difficult given the nature of the Sauron player, but it would be great nonetheless.

Cheers,

Giles.

I ended up discovering and subsequently purchising this game via a friend and post purchasing the LOTR LCG - I absolutely love the quality and attention to detail FF games throw into their game production. The quality of the materials and general presentation of the LCG totally sold me on purchasing this game, and whilst not having played a game yet, I think it would be awesome to have the same prospects of it being enhanced with expansions.

I would certainly buy it if they ever did come out with one.

Throxx said:

I would certainly buy it if they ever did come out with one.

If there is an expansion planned, my bet is that FFG will release it closer to the release of The Hobbit movies, when interest is high.

Hello Fantasy Flight Games,

I would buy an expansion for this game. I really like it. I would pay hard earned cash for it. Please make one. Thanks.

Seriously, would love an expansion for this game. More heroes and more stuff for them to do, more Sauron actions and more encounter cards. If it ain't broke don't fix it but just make it bigger.