Sniping/bombing...is that possible?

By Kieran Rexer, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

Ok, this is something different, and I'm trying to figure it out if it can be efficient.
The job is simple here, stand behind the front line with Onager, sniping at Extreme range, trying to lure enemy big fishies in a good position to strike with the ISD and squadrons....
What do You think about this build?

"Romodi's Bomber Wing" 400pt (Onager-ISD1) ☆General Romodi☆

Commander: General Romodi

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Asteroid Tactics
Navigation Objective: Doomed Station

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer (110 points)
- Captain Brunson ( 5 points)
- Local Fire Control ( 4 points)
- Boosted Comms ( 4 points)
- XI7 Turbolasers ( 6 points)
- Leading Shots ( 4 points)
= 133 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Onager-class Testbed (96 points)

- Cataclysm ( 5 points)
- General Romodi ( 20 points)
- Strategic Adviser ( 4 points)
- Gunnery Chief Varnillian ( 6 points)
- Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons ( 5 points)
= 136 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
- Commander Woldar ( 4 points)
= 27 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
- Hondo Ohnaka ( 2 points)
= 25 total ship cost

1 Captain Jonus ( 16 points)
1 Tempest Squadron ( 13 points)
1 Darth Vader ( 21 points)
1 TIE Bomber Squadron ( 9 points)
1 Dengar ( 20 points)
= 79 total squadron cost

Edited by Kieran Rexer

Maybe consider dropping the ISD for an Quasar and max your Bomber capacity?

Rhymer, Mareek, Jendon?

hmmm...Quasar, more bombers and a BCC on a Gozanti....interesting, this would make the build very painful, and probably funny, but, in the other hands, it would rely more over squadrons activations rather then on an effective ship phase, maybe a Onager wouldn't be enough to manage something big like a Starhawk...
Every time I've played with a Quasar and a lot of squadrons, my foes focused their attentions on the Quasar because it's fragile, and a squadron list without a squadrons command ship.....the ISD its more intimidating, and if I could get at close range, it become deadly.
Same archetype, different operational concepts, which is the most effective?

Paging @MandalorianMoose , for wrecking things with Quasar/Onager.

(Unless he wants to keep his secrets right now, which is totally understandable.)

It’s good, but it’s super fragile. The isd version gives you a bit more beef to keep you on the table, but as you have seen it takes from your squad cap. Pryce/squall lets you keep the quasar from getting popped *too* early, but people will Gun for it and eventually kill it, the onus is just on you to kill everything before it can get to your onager.

hmmmm....probably I am a "romantic" guy who belive that the big ship (ISD) can still rule the stars...

Ok, seroiusly, I do love the Quasar, its a beatiful model, with good characteristics, but not good enough for my stile of play, maybe I have a problem to deal with it, because I'm often worried about to not lose it, and I play conservative, but in this way sometimes I miss key activations . Other times I play the Quasar too much agressively, with the result of losing it early in the game, or when the game is still in balance.
The ISD I is a brillant battlecarrier in my opinion, expensive for sure, but throwing 4 or 5 aces in the face of the enemy before punching with the ship worth like a double arc, especially if You roll doubles with the squadrons. Vader, Jonus, Tempest and a Bomber, maybe Maarek, are good enough, generally from 3 to 5 hit that will clear those shields before the Star Destroyer strikes, and if there is someting left, well, the Onger is there.
This is the concept of the build, but I agree with you that a Quasar with more squads probably are the best choice.
What do You think about my ISD?

Its pretty dang solid IMO. Got some defense with Brunson and extra punch with salvo, all for a cheap 133. Looks like a fun list. I just love cataclysm so much for that turn one shot but you need 5 points for it and to swap an officer to hondo if you want to do jt

Yes! This is a very good idea! Maybe I should trade Suppressor & Palps for a Comms Net, and load Cataclysm on Onager....

29 minutes ago, Kieran Rexer said:

Yes! This is a very good idea! Maybe I should trade Suppressor & Palps for a Comms Net, and load Cataclysm on Onager....

Good idea, but you for sure need Hondo in there to be able to trigger the turn one shot. His timing works but Comms does not

4 minutes ago, MandalorianMoose said:

Good idea, but you for sure need Hondo in there to be able to trigger the turn one shot. His timing works but Comms does

****! I forgot it! you're right! I must edit the list again! 😂

Ok, thats it for the moment, I'll test the list within hours, and I'll let you know the outcome! Thanks for sharing your toughts!

So, the first try was a success, I faced a Rebel player with a Dodonna's based list, on an MC75 Armored Cruiser with SA, with a full loaded Liberty-Mon Karren with XX9, a CR90B with Projection Exp to pump up the Liberty's shields, a Comms Net GR75, with four A-Wing as Fighter Screen.
As first player, he became very worried at the moment of picking one of my objectives, he refused immediately Most Wanted (most obvious), and after a long thinking, he picked Asteroid Tactics, because Doomed Station has a reward. In this case was a bad choice?
After the shot of Onager on Mon Karren at the start of the game, firing behind a rock in the corner of the deployment zone, wich nearly melted the front arc of the Rebel ship, he felt a lot of pressure, and putted his ships at maximum speed to close in on my position.
He did also a mistake in turn 3 with his A-Wings at the time he was in good position for me to strike with the ISD and squads, in an attempt to give protection to the Liberty, he placed two of them right at distance 1 from a Exogorth, I dont know if it was intentional, or maybe he forgot that Exogorth attacks occurs at the start of the squadron phase, anyway, I rolled 3 hits each attack, I cleared those A-Wings with Dengar and a Bomber, then I've charged the the Mon Karren with Jonus, Vader and Tempest for 4 good hits.
The attack of the ISD at Medium Range was good enough to get a sencond accuracy (one from Jonus) and 5 more hits.
Onager was busy at that time with the MC75, wich get in to position to pounder her at Medium Range.
In turn 4, he lost Mon Karren, but he got his payback on the ISD first, nine hits and an accuracy, without the possibility for me to Brace and Contain...ouch!
Salvo gave me satisfaction in this case... by finishing the work on the Liberty.
Later in turn 4 he managed to destroy the Onager with the Dodonna's MC75, but basically the game ended at the end of that turn, because the ships of both of us were heading toward different directions.
In turn 5 I've killed the remaing A-Wings losing Tempest, but I wasn't able to get the CR90 with the badly wounded ISD.
At the end, my final considerations on this build are not so clear, Onager its a wonderful sniping ship, even better then Cymoon, I never triggered the crit of Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons, but the ability to shot out targets at two range rulers its awesome, I scored one good strike on Mon Karren and two good hits on MC75, but by that time the Onager was already under attack, at the end of turn 3 I had no Super weapon firing arc on any target, and when it comes under pressure, at least the Testbed Version, its fragile.
The ISD and squads proved to be tough enough to hang on against this foes, but Mon Karren its not a Starhawk and he went with light fighter cover....maybe I need more games to get the full picture.