RITR Refit and Expand Fleet Question

By DCG, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Trying to get my head around the 'management phase' in RITR. Going to paraphrase a bit:

1. I attack a planet and win - as a result I can utilize one of the upgrade slots available from that planet or one I already own. e.g I have access to 30 points of fighters. I purchase my 30 points of fighters which occurs in point 3 of the management phase (pg 17) - 'Gain Rewards'.

2. I follow the steps in the management phase to and get to Refit and Expand Fleets (point 5) which takes me to page 18 - the first paragraph says I can add or remove forces and equip upgrades and the fleet cannot exceed 250 points. Under the heading Add or Remove Forces the rules are explained.

I purchase my 30 points of fighters at point 3 of the management phase Pg 17 but don't add them to my fleet until the add or remove forces section of Pg 18. At which time I can elect to remove upgrades and purchase other upgrades..

Now for the question... are the two steps Gain Rewards and Add Remove Forces mutually exclusive? Is there a hidden intent (or obvious intent which I am missing) which allows points gained from Gain Rewards to be used in conjunction with points gained from 'selling' upgrades in the Add or Remove Forces? (assuming all other restrictions are adhere to and points not exceeded.)

Thanks

DC

Edited by DCG

Those are two different steps.

You gain the Rewards from your battle in Step 3 of the Management Phase and they are added to your fleet (but you don't equip the cards to ships yet).

In Step 5, Refit and Expand Fleets, you remove scar tokens and conditions, and then can trade in upgrades or squadrons for new upgrades or squadrons (for half value). Then at the end you get to equip (or re-equip) upgrades to your ships.

I do have a question on timing though...

You gain the rewards in Step 3, but say your fleet is already near 250? can your rewards go over 250? and then you drop things to go down below in Step 5?

Page 18 says after deciding what is equipped or not, that "Upgrade cards that are not equipped are set aside and can be equipped during a later campaign turn, but still count toward a player's fleet-value total. " And the fleet value-total cap is always 250...

So in step 3, if you are too close to 250, can you not claim any rewards unless you dropped stuff in the prior round's step 5?

1 hour ago, boow said:

I do have a question on timing though...

You gain the rewards in Step 3, but say your fleet is already near 250? can your rewards go over 250? and then you drop things to go down below in Step 5?

Page 18 says after deciding what is equipped or not, that "Upgrade cards that are not equipped are set aside and can be equipped during a later campaign turn, but still count toward a player's fleet-value total. " And the fleet value-total cap is always 250...

So in step 3, if you are too close to 250, can you not claim any rewards unless you dropped stuff in the prior round's step 5?

Correct

We took the position that you could exceed 250 when taking a reward, but by the end of the refit/expand step, you had to be back down to a 250 (so never exceeding 250 when you're facing other fleets - just making it easier to get the upgrades you want).