Pierce versus Armor

By FinarinPanjoro, in Rules Questions

Hey all,

How would you apply Pierce against a target with an Armor value? For example, let's say the target has Armor 2, would an attack with Pierce 5 reduce incoming damage by 15 or does the full point of armor still apply? In other words would Armor ignore Pierce of less than 10. I ask in case it follows a similar paradigm to how doing personal damage to a vehicle works in which case 10 points of damage are needed to inflict a single point of Hull Trauma. 8 points of personal scale damage would be ignored.

My personal decision for my game is to apply Pierce and lower the effective soak value of the armored target, but now I'm interested in how the rules should actually be interpreted.

Thoughts?

• CRB88, Pierce description: " Any hits from this weapon ignore a number of points point of soak equal to the weapon’s Pierce rating. "
  • CRB223, Armor description: " …one point of a vehicle’s armor is equivalent to ten points of soak…. "

So yes, you reduce the Armor from 2 to '1.5'. Of course, since you have to divide personal scale damage by 10 (rounding down) so it would be less maths to just add 5 to the damage number (instead of coverting 2 Armor to 20 soak, reducing it to 15 soak, reducing damage by 15 and then dividing by 10 to get HT).

Thanks, that's very helpful and clear! Nice to have one's gut response validated by the rules 🙂