"Giant Sized" X-Men

By Jareddw, in Rules Questions

Okay, I have a character that wants an ability (spell, whatever) to increase size. Is there any rules for increasing stats for increases in Silhouette? I mean, except for being able to reach things on higher shelves what bonuses would it give?

My ideas is this: Increase in Silhouette = +1 to Brawn for anything not Combat check related, including Dmg. +1 Soak.

Any comments or suggestions?

What about shrinking? Increase Def?

there is size bonus to attack but that only occurs if there is more the 2 size difference between the targets.

If you want to mimic a spell might look at dire form in the transform spell.

"Dire Form: When the character transforms, they adopt a dire form of the chosen animal. Increase the damage of the animal’s
weapons by three, its soak by one, its wound threshold by six, and its silhouette by one."

Ofc. if this is a archetype ability it would be very powerfull.

The other most simple form would be the augment spell if its just a spell. That gives one additional ability dice to any roll this could represent the same.

3rd suggestion is to look to the supers tone in the Genesys core book. So they grow insize choose brawn as their super stat and gain explosive dice and maybe increase damage to minions.

Many ways to do it :)

On 2/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, Jareddw said:

Okay, I have a character that wants an ability (spell, whatever) to increase size. Is there any rules for increasing stats for increases in Silhouette? I mean, except for being able to reach things on higher shelves what bonuses would it give?

My ideas is this: Increase in Silhouette = +1 to Brawn for anything not Combat check related, including Dmg. +1 Soak.

Any comments or suggestions?

What about shrinking? Increase Def?

There is no direct correlation between silhouette and Brawn, nor is there a direct correlation between silhouette and Defense.

As @Archellus mentioned, the only size-related mechanic can be found on page 109 of the core book: " When a character makes an attack against a target with a silhouette two or more points larger than they are, they decrease the difficulty of the check by one. When a character makes an attack against a target with a silhouette two or more points smaller than they are, they increase the difficulty of the check by one. "

But they do have a great idea that the Dire Form effect is an amazing template to use for "bigger and buffer" size changing. If a character were to shrink, they would be silhouette 0: the same size as a child or a gnome. But again, unless the size difference is 2 or more, there is no mechanical benefit—just narrative benefits (able to more easily fit in small places, easier time getting lost in a crowd, etc).

If they were to shrink to be even smaller than that, say to the size of a pixie, then it would be worth saying that they are always considered to be 2 silhouette smaller than any silhouette 1 or larger creature, but they increase the difficulty of all Brawn-based checks twice due to their small size. And a potential reduction of their WT by 4.

Since there is no precedence for this kind of thing playtesting will be needed to get it 'right'.

Indiana Walsh's superhero supplement provides the following benefits for size growth per increase above silhouette 1: +1 soak, +2 brawl damage, lift silhouette one size lower than you with no Athletics check (so Silhouette 2 can lift Silhouette 1 with ease). This has worked really well for our game and even up to Silhouette 4 seems appropriate (well for superheroes anyway). IMO it's important that Brawn not increase so that die pools aren't thrown out of wack with other players.