Just starting to play

By Warhawk1977, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago my two teen boys and I talked about playing X-wing. We play Wings of War WWI & WWII so this isn't too far of a stretch. I started looking and I bought 3 different collections from players getting out of the game, we now have enough ships for all three of us to start playing. The collections are all 1.0 so competitive play is out for now but that isn't a huge deal to us. Found a few people at our church that play and they still use 1.0 so playing at home or with those guys we should be good for a while. I did pick up conversion kits for empire and scum so when we are ready to got to 2.0 we have a starting point.

Here is what we have.

Rebel

• A-wing x3
  • B-wing x4
  • E-wing

• K-wing

• X-wing x7

• Y-wing x2

• YT 1300 x2

• YT-2400

• Z-95

• Rebel Transport

• CR90 Corvette

Resistance

• T-70 X-wing x3

Imperial

• Decimator x2

• Lamda Shuttle x2

• Tie Advance x5

• Tie Bomber x3

• Tie Defender x3

• Tie Fighter x10

• Tie Interceptor x9

• Tie Phantom x2

• Tie Punisher x2

First Order

• Tie Fighter x10

• Tie Special force

Scum

• Star viper x2

• Fire spray x3

• YV-666 Hound's Tooth x2

• Y-Wing x2
  • Z-95 x4

• M3-A Interceptor x2

• Quad jumper x4

• Mist Hunter

• Shadow Caster

• Protectorate Starfighter

• IG-2000 x4
  • C-roc (ordered that new for a great deal)

Sure we will have questions in the coming weeks so giving you guys some heads up. LOL

Thanks for looking.

@Warhawk1977 - welcome to the obsession, hope you guys have a lot of fun!

@Warhawk1977 welcome to the hobby! 🥂

That’s a great list of models for starting off!!! I’m sure you will have more wins in X-Wing than me in no time.

I host Armada and Legion games twice a month (games I actually get wins in), if you happen to be in Manhattan feel free to send me a message.

Thanks guys.

I like the models for Armada but I don't think my boys would enjoy that one. And I don't think any one locally plays Armada or Legion(at least I don't know anyone) so those would be harder to play. I have picked up a few Legion models for a RPG star wars game, both my boys like RPG games and I ran a Saga game a few years ago that was fun but didn't enjoy the rules.

5 hours ago, Warhawk1977 said:

I have picked up a few Legion models for a RPG star wars game, both my boys like RPG games and I ran a Saga game a few years ago that was fun but didn't enjoy the rules.

May I humbly suggest the Star Wars cinematic West End Games version of the rules and game style.

I'm looking at the west end rules. I like the feel of the rules

22 hours ago, Warhawk1977 said:

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago my two teen boys and I talked about playing X-wing. We play Wings of War WWI & WWII so this isn't too far of a stretch. I started looking and I bought 3 different collections from players getting out of the game, we now have enough ships for all three of us to start playing. The collections are all 1.0 so competitive play is out for now but that isn't a huge deal to us. Found a few people at our church that play and they still use 1.0 so playing at home or with those guys we should be good for a while. I did pick up conversion kits for empire and scum so when we are ready to got to 2.0 we have a starting point.

Here is what we have.

Rebel

• A-wing x3
  • B-wing x4
  • E-wing

• K-wing

• X-wing x7

• Y-wing x2

• YT 1300 x2

• YT-2400

• Z-95

• Rebel Transport

• CR90 Corvette

Resistance

• T-70 X-wing x3

Imperial

• Decimator x2

• Lamda Shuttle x2

• Tie Advance x5

• Tie Bomber x3

• Tie Defender x3

• Tie Fighter x10

• Tie Interceptor x9

• Tie Phantom x2

• Tie Punisher x2

First Order

• Tie Fighter x10

• Tie Special force

Scum

• Star viper x2

• Fire spray x3

• YV-666 Hound's Tooth x2

• Y-Wing x2
  • Z-95 x4

• M3-A Interceptor x2

• Quad jumper x4

• Mist Hunter

• Shadow Caster

• Protectorate Starfighter

• IG-2000 x4
  • C-roc (ordered that new for a great deal)

Over all not a bad start we are missing a few pilot cards and movement dials but don't sure we need to field all 10 Tie fighters at one time. I'm hoping to pick up the Epic Imperial ships then fill out a few other holes we have but not sure where to start yet.

Sure we will have questions in the coming weeks so giving you guys some heads up. LOL

Thanks for looking.

If you need the rule books for first ed X-Wing they're available on the Original X-Wing site in the Rules sub section: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing/

Direct links to the pdfs:

"Learn to Play" Rules: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e7/ec/e7ecf651-c382-4158-a951-d150ffb89262/swx36_learn_to_play_lfl_online.pdf

1st Ed Rules Reference: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/87/a8/87a872ed-4d70-4916-8c63-efc8c5e87148/swx36_rules_reference_online.pdf

1st Ed FAQ (low res version): https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/4e/f0/4ef05c3f-2170-4bb0-9ac8-c5c2ff9ed83f/x-wing_faq_v441.pdf

1st Ed Huge ship Rules (needed for the C-Roc): https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ec/2d/ec2dfbd5-1f30-40c1-af79-48013d54e20c/x-wing_huge_ship_rules_40.pdf

Just now, Warhawk1977 said:

I'm looking at the west end rules. I like the feel of the rules

I'd bet you just made Hesh's day. They were one of the developers at West End Games for the Star Wars content West End put out. :D

I did get the basic rule book from the collections. I didn't get huge ship rules so do need those.

Thanks for the links.

Well Hesh thanks for the hard work. I'm hoping to get the game running this month.

@Warhawk1977 I suggest you get Heroes of the Aturi Cluster . It's a co-op with an Imperial AI system (so you can field 10 TIEs :D )

I've hosted a couple missions and it's been a hit. Just download the file, take it to Kinko, Office Max, ect.. Print the AI/Objectives/Player cards on some card-stock, I chose to spiral bind the rule/mission book.

all set up on the V1 X-wing.. 2.0 is being worked on...

Edited by RuusMarev

Thanks for that advice I will start looking for Heroes of the Aturi Cluster .

8 hours ago, Warhawk1977 said:

Thanks for that advice I will start looking for Heroes of the Aturi Cluster .

Looks like the HotAC web page is down at the moment but this is the link for the 1.0 version: http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

@LTuser is pretty heavy into that 1.0 game variant so they might be able to help with getting ahold of the needed stuff.