R2-RTs

By Rogue Dakotan, in Army Building

I've been trying to figure out what I want to play at Worlds next month. Haven't really been able to figure anything out too solidly but I'm pretty set on Sabine.

My issue had been that she'd always been the prime target in my list so I though ok R2 is out, so we'll try him and then throw in some AT-RTs to put more threats on the board.

Here's what I've ended up with. I tried a sort of similar version with Luke instead of Leia earlier and I won but just barely. I decided I needed to take Leia so I had more room to beef up the troops.

795/800
11 Activations :D
Leia Organa [90](90)

Sabine Wren [125](150)
The Darksaber [25]

R2-D2 [35](35)

Rebel Troopers [40](48)
R5 Astromech Droid [8]

Rebel Troopers [40](48)
R5 Astromech Droid [8]

Rebel Veterans [48](74)
CM-O93 Trooper [26]
Rebel Troopers [40](78)
SX-21 Trooper [20]
Rebel Trooper Captain [14]
Offensive Push [4]

Rebel Veterans [48](74)
CM-O93 Trooper [26]

Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) [20](48)
DH-447 Sniper [28]

AT-RT [55](75)
AT-RT Laser Cannon [20]

AT-RT [55](75)
AT-RT Laser Cannon [20]

I had considered putting Electrobinoculars on Leia so she could pass out dodges and aims, but gunna try offensive push instead...

Gunna try this list next week at my local league, and if I end up liking it it'll probably make it into a future battle report video .

I am going to comment on this list with the intention of making the most competitive list for worlds.

Your list is trying to do too much. You have a bunch of different effective ranges on your units which I think is a mistake.

While the AT-RTs are a big part of the list, you do not need 8 healing points. I think your list actually leans to FD turrets over the AT-RTs because of the Vets. you get free orders which can give you much better control and you get other effects like Strict orders and LTA. I think you should think about dropping sabine as she does not fit very well with your list.

The rebel troopers with the captain also waste a bunch of points. If you want offensive push on a unit, I would take it on the vets because you do not need to spend 18 points to get a 4 point card. If you decided to run AT-RTs over FD turrets, I would recommend a switch to rotary turrets. they are more consistent against any target where as the Laser Cannon is skewed against armor. You need more snipers. Pierce is great and Sabine will not give you all the pierce you need. Range is also needed in a list where your furthest range is range 3 (assuming the RTs change to rotaries).

Don't worry about E. Binos because they are wasteful with points. Let FFG drop their point cost before messing with them. I would also trash the SX-21 right now. Is your meta heavy armor skew? If it is, you should run with no impact to see if your list can handle armor, but don't count on every world list containing armor. There will be armor for sure, but you have to play 7 rounds over two days, so it is unlikely that you will play armor more than once and it will likely be early because armor has a lot of trouble with certain matchups.

Here is my ideal list based on yours, but certainly different:
800/800 (11 activations) - No bid, same activation count. I think this list is clearly a red player list because any deck currently will contain good cards for you. Unlike other rebels, you are not worried about trying to pull limited visibility because you might have better range than some empire lists.
Commanders:
- Leia Organa (90): Strict Orders (5) = 95 - I glue strict orders to Leia whenever I have the points because it is amazing. This would be a secondary cut card for extra bid
Operatives: - No sabine. She plays differently from all of your other units. Unless you REALLY want to play her, I would leave her off the table for worlds. She isn't bad, she just doesn't synergize.
- R2-D2 = 35 - Yes.
Corps:
- 2× Rebel Troopers (40): DLT-20A Trooper (26), Medical Droid (18) = 168 - Medical droids keep your range healthy and the DLT-20a is part of your range
- 2× Rebel Veterans (48): CM-O/93 Trooper (26), Comms Technician (9), Offensive Push (4), HQ Uplink (10) = 194 - This is your anti-trooper skew which should put some serious pain on some units. Offensive Push would be the first card in this list I would cut for bid. Comms Tech means that your FD turrets will always get orders and you can really get some effectiveness out of cards like Strict orders, LTA and NTFS. Lots of synergies in a list that was previously looking really out of place with some vets thrown in.
Special Forces:
- 3× Strike Team (20): DH-447 Sniper (28) = 144 - You need snipers. They bring range, pierce and cheap activation. Trade up against shoretroopers and pierce those tauntauns.
Supports:
- 2× Laser Cannon Team (70): Linked Targeting Array (5), Barrage Generator (7) = 164 - This is the big change besides no sabine that I think you will enjoy during the game. Looking at it off the table may feel like a feel bad, but I think the quality of activation that the Laser Turret brings to the table will feel better than the RTs especially over multiple games. The idea here is to give them orders every round, giving them an aim and then recover shooting on every round after the first to get the barrage generator to have a 7 die suppressive gun.

•Coordinated Bombardment, •Blast Off!, ••No Time for Sorrows, ••Turning the Tide, •••Smoke Screen, •••Covering Fire, ••••Standing Orders

Sabine brings great cards to your command hand, but you honestly should be fine with just Leia and R2. SS from R2 is another NTFS to himself and another trooper. I like the rush potential of the list now. You don't have sabine for RtS, but I really do feel like you will enjoy this list over multiple rounds better. At LVO I believe that many rebel lists, including ones with Sabine, did not make it to the top table because they had problems with dice variance.

Hope some of what I said will prove to be useful for you. I'll see you there so introduce yourself, I will be the young kid

That's some great feedback. Seems like a very solid list. Gunna have to do more tweaking to mine for sure. I probably can't do that list exactly because of component limitations. I only own one turret, and I don't know how many of the new rebel backs i'll be getting because of some budgeting stuff at the moment.

I was looking to try the SX Rebel Trooper squad as a cheaper alternative to Fleet Troopers. Hmm.

When she doesn't inexplicably roll a million red blanks on defense, Sabine has always been good to me. The speed-3 jump has been really instrumental in some clutch objective play. I'm hesitant to cut her.

Here's a quick re-build based on your great feedback , and taking into consideration my own personal component limitations.

795/800
12 Activations now!
Leia Organa [90](95)
Strict Orders [5]

R2-D2 [35](35)

Rebel Troopers [40](66)
DLT-20A Trooper [26]

Rebel Veterans [48](93)
CM-O93 Trooper [26]
Rebel Comms Technician [9]
HQ Uplink [10]

Rebel Veterans [48](93)
CM-O93 Trooper [26]
Rebel Comms Technician [9]
HQ Uplink [10]

Rebel Troopers [40](84)
DLT-20A Trooper [26]
2-1B Medical Droid [18]

Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper [38](38)
Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper [38](38)

DH-447 Sniper [28]

DH-447 Sniper [28]

AT-RT [55](75)
AT-RT Rotary Blaster [20]

1.4 FD Laser Cannon Team [70](82)
Linked Targeting Array [5]
Barrage Generator [7]

Actually looking at it, i'm tempted to just turn the 1.4 FD back into an AT-RT and have points for an R5. Hmm.

I'm pretty iffy on the Mark IIs. But I threw them in so the Vets had more synergy options and Fire Support can sometimes be pretty brutal.

Mk2s are nifty if you can get them into cover and dont bonzai rush then into the open. Speaking of, slap Recon Intel on your Vets, then can place the Mk2 detachments at range 1 of them, even after the recon intel rush.

Also, you can cut a comms tech and HQ uplink on one and put a comms relay on a Mk2. That way, if you order one vet, he can pass an order from a turret to another vet-turrret pair. That should save 14 points, I think I'm running an officer on my second vet squad.

In terms of Meta, at worlds you'll likely face Tripple Tauns and Shorlines. As a Tripple Taun player, AT-RTs are a huge threat. Id put your repair droid back, but you only need one of them. R2 should be focused on scoring rather than repairing, he can REALLY impact games with his point.

Also, since Sabine is gone, I think the med droid dosent have much of a place. Sure, healing a vet or two is nice, but there is no tanky hero like Luke, Sabine, or Han, and saving a few white dice soldiers who will probably die anyways isn't worth it.

Love your battreps! I hope to see you at world's!

Oooh Recon Intel on vets, deploy the MK2, and then I wonder if No Time For Sorrows could be a good turn one on the two MKs to really get them positioned good.

797/800 (11 activations)
Commanders:
- Leia Organa (90): Strict Orders (5), Improvised Orders (10) = 105
Operatives:
- R2-D2 = 35
Corps:
- Rebel Troopers (40): DLT-20A Trooper (26), Medical Droid (18) = 84
- Rebel Troopers (40): DLT-20A Trooper (26), R5 Astromech Droid (8) = 74
- Medium Blaster Trooper (38): Comms Relay (5) = 43
- 2× Rebel Veterans (48): CM-O/93 Trooper (26), Comms Technician (9), Recon Intel (2), HQ Uplink (10) = 190
Special Forces:
- 2× Strike Team (20): DH-447 Sniper (28), Offensive Push (4) = 104
Supports:
- Laser Cannon Team (70): Linked Targeting Array (5), Barrage Generator (7) = 82
- AT-RT (55): Rotary Blaster (20), Linked Targeting Array (5) = 80

•Coordinated Bombardment, •Blast Off!, ••No Time for Sorrows, ••Turning the Tide, •••Smoke Screen, •••Covering Fire, ••••Standing Orders

If you could do only one FD, I think this would be pretty strong. Lots of interesting upgrades that you can put in here. recon intel is nice for vets, so I threw it in.

1 hour ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

Oooh Recon Intel on vets, deploy the MK2, and then I wonder if No Time For Sorrows could be a good turn one on the two MKs to really get them positioned good.

On a Taun-less list yes, that sounds like a good plan. Fun fact, No Time for Sorrows triggers on all units issued orders, not just by it. So pass it to the vets, then when they give the turrets their free orders, the whole gang can move up.

Some people who run Leia and vets try and set up a Turn one super bombard with fire support. This can work, but let me tell you, its basically throwing the mk2 away. Resisit the call to the dark side!

Oh wow that's good to know.

So Leia could give order to Taun Taun, Another Dude, and the vets could HQ uplink themselves, and coordinate the turrets. And i'd have 6 orders down and they'd all get a free move? 😮

1 hour ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

Oh wow that's good to know.

So Leia could give order to Taun Taun, Another Dude, and the vets could HQ uplink themselves, and coordinate the turrets. And i'd have 6 orders down and they'd all get a free move? 😮

Yessir! With HQ uplink a full pack of 3 tauns get the boost and the dodge from it. Turns out the card should be called "Time for Sorrows- for your opponent" as they see a herd of tauns sprinting towards their line with 3 dodge tokens appeice

Here are two updated lists I'm eyeballing next.

I've gotten in two games with variations of the R2-RTs lists and I've liked them both. (One of the games will be in a future battle report video.)

So here are two more attempts at refining the list.

I really like the SX trooper FWIW.

793/800
12 Activations
Leia Organa (90 + 0 = 90)

R2-D2 (35 + 0 = 35)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 26 = 66)
--DLT-20A Trooper (26)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 28 = 76)
--CM-O93 Trooper (26), Recon Intel (2)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 28 = 76)
--CM-O93 Trooper (26), Recon Intel (2)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 40 = 80)
--SX-21 Trooper (20), Rebel Trooper Captain (14), Recon Intel (2), Offensive Push (4)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 34 = 74)
--DLT-20A Trooper (26), R5 Astromech Droid (8)

Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper (38 + 0 = 38)

Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) (20 + 28 = 48)
--DH-447 Sniper (28)

Rebel Commandos (60 + 0 = 60)

AT-RT (55 + 20 = 75)
--AT-RT Rotary Blaster (20)

AT-RT (55 + 20 = 75)

792/800
12 Activations
Leia Organa (90 + 0 = 90)

R2-D2 (35 + 0 = 35)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 22 = 62)
--Z-6 Trooper (22)

Rebel Veterans (48 + 26 = 74)
--CM-O93 Trooper (26)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 40 = 80)
--SX-21 Trooper (20), Rebel Trooper Captain (14), Recon Intel (2), Offensive Push (4)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 34 = 74)
--DLT-20A Trooper (26), R5 Astromech Droid (8)

Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper (38 + 0 = 38)

Rebel Troopers (40 + 26 = 66)
--DLT-20A Trooper (26)

Rebel Commandos (Strike Team) (20 + 28 = 48)
--DH-447 Sniper (28)

AT-RT (55 + 20 = 75)

AT-RT (55 + 20 = 75)

AT-RT (55 + 20 = 75)

If you like the SX-21, keep it. A big part of any gamming is running what you like. Its good you have recon intel on him, gets him in range quicker.

List B looks devistating with triple RTs, plus lots of supporting infantry.

List A doesn't seem bad either, my only concern is the naked full squad of Commandos. Ive run a squad of them, they hit like you would imagine a special forces version team of the rebel trooper would, and they are a step up from the vets. The problem with them, is that they are still squishy, expensive, and use a different token than your trooper. If you are deadset on taking them, take Duck and Cover and staple it to their card, it got a points reduction anyhow.

But my recomendation for changing list A is to switch the commando team to a sniper strike team (that dosent need duck and cover) and use the savings to buy 3p0 for R2.

Still, both of these look great!

6 hours ago, gothound said:

If you like the SX-21, keep it. A big part of any gamming is running what you like. Its good you have recon intel on him, gets him in range quicker.

List B looks devistating with triple RTs, plus lots of supporting infantry.

List A doesn't seem bad either, my only concern is the naked full squad of Commandos. Ive run a squad of them, they hit like you would imagine a special forces version team of the rebel trooper would, and they are a step up from the vets. The problem with them, is that they are still squishy, expensive, and use a different token than your trooper. If you are deadset on taking them, take Duck and Cover and staple it to their card, it got a points reduction anyhow.

But my recomendation for changing list A is to switch the commando team to a sniper strike team (that dosent need duck and cover) and use the savings to buy 3p0 for R2.

Still, both of these look great!

Yeah for whatever reason, snipers tend to underperform for me. Which is a personal problem lol.

So I figured, what if I just ran commandos? more bodies on the field, and able to move up more.

Something I'm experimenting with. I tried it yesterday in a game and they got nuked by a dewback flamethrower before I could figure out how dissapointing they were lol. I did have D&C on them as well but obviously that doesn't help against a flamethrower.

Sniper and 3PO is probably the better call.

Snipers can and will underperform, but their presence still matters. Having a cheap activation that can hold rear objectives or hide a crate is very valuable.

You can also corner peak them if they get into combat. Just hide the non-sniper out of line of sight, so if the sniper goes down, his buddy gets promoted into the unit leader and is replaced by the sniper. This also gives the squad heavy cover, no need for duck and cover.)

Don't expect snipers to be gods of death, use them for objectives, long range pokes, counter sniping, and most importantly, high value red dice like death troopers, and eventually you'll see why people still bring teams of 2 and 3.