Starhawk: Unity and Bombers builds

By Cap116, in Star Wars: Armada Fleet Builds

I have 2 versions of a Unity/bomber list, and wanted your feedback on them...the main difference is the inclusion of the Magnites. The Magnites wouldn't be used for a speed 0 trap, but instead to mess with enemy formations, flankers, or to increase the number of rounds available to hit the main enemy ship. Here are the 2 lists:

Name: Unity Magnite Bombers
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Kyrsta Agate

Assault: Station Assault
Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Doomed Station

Starhawk Battleship Mark II (150)
• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Walex Blissex (5)
• Expert Shield Tech (5)
• Local Fire Control (4)
• Advanced Transponder Net (5)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
• Linked Turbolaser Towers (7)
• Magnite Crystal Tractor Beam Array (10)
• Unity (10)
= 221 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Toryn Farr (7)
• Bomber Command Center (8)
= 33 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
= 23 Points

Squadrons:
• Jan Ors (19)
• Biggs Darklighter (19)
• 2 x X-wing Squadron (26)
• Norra Wexley (17)
• 4 x Y-wing Squadron (40)
= 121 Points

Total Points: 398

Name: Unity Bombers

Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Doomed Station

• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Walex Blissex (5)
• Expert Shield Tech (5)
• Local Fire Control (4)
• Advanced Transponder Net (5)
• SW-7 Ion Batteries (5)
• Unity (10)
= 211 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
= 33 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
• Boosted Comms (4)
= 27 Points

Squadrons:
• Jan Ors (19)
• Biggs Darklighter (19)
• 3 x X-wing Squadron (39)
• Norra Wexley (17)
• Gold Squadron (12)
• 2 x Y-wing Squadron (20)
= 126 Points

Total Points: 397

This list loses the Magnites, swaps out 2 Ywings for a generic Xwing and Gold Squadron, and adds boosted comms to Leia's GR75.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on list strengths and weaknesses, or recommended modifications?

I know Whale Watching (Hyperspace Migration) is probably a better Objective than Doomed Station, but for non-tourney gameplay, I will avoid putting Whale Watching in a list.

Edited by Cap116
Whale watching

I think I like the first one a bit better, it gets more use out of ATN, which can be key.

I think I like Gunnery Team, better than local fire control (I assume you’re swapping out the contain?)

I like it, let us know how it does.

can you explain the key to the migration objective? I’ve never played it and don’t quite get why it would be tourney only?

Toryn’s BCC is a juicy soft target. I prefer to put those upgrades on separate flotillas since they have different ranges and I don’t want all my bomber support eggs in one basket. If you can’t do that, consider two points for Bright Hope?

@RogueCommander ATN is there really to counter enemy Intel, that way if I have a bomber fleet or Sloane fighters across the table they can't use intel to ignore my squadrons. (Esp while they are engaged by Xwings, granting Unity (with LTTs and Toryn nearby all sorts of sweet rerolls).

I would swap out the Contain, basically, to me the 2nd Salvo allows an extra 2-3 damage out each round, given the dice manipulation of LTTs and SW7s. I passed on Gunnery team because I think double arcing 1 priority target and hammering it hard is going to work better than splitting fire (even if the split fire is a higher total damage output).

To me, Whale Watching isn't really all that fun to play on a 6x3. It doesn't really force a good engagement (like the other 3 do), but it has a higher obj points scoring potential than any other objective. So in a competitive tourney, it can provide a larger win margin, or force your competitor into picking from the other 2.

@ralphbod yes, the Toryn BCC is a soft target, I have waffled back and forth on the GR75 loadouts (since I want Toryn and Leia, and BCC and Comms net), and ultimately set it up this way to prioritize the Leia Comms net GR75 (I plan on running solely nav dials on the SH for the first several games) and use Leia to change dials to a squadron dial on the squad alpha turn, and potentially Engineering dials (with token from Leia's CN) after the battle is raging around my ship.

@Cap116 Looks pretty solid. I would definitly put BH on the Toryn/BCC flotilla. I also keep them on the same ship for another reason--Toryn/BCC wants to be in the fight, close to the squads (which is why BH is necessary) and Leia/Comms Net can stay out of the fight. It's high risk / high reward though. At a recent tournament I faced an Ackbar fleet with Home One and QLCs, and even with BH that Toryn/BCC flotilla got toasted on turn 2.

I'd recommend Advanced Gunnery over Station Assault. Otherwise you will NEED to keep your squads near those stations, because a couple of squads (or even just a Hammerhead) can murder one in a few turns. I also just played @antisocialmunky , who creamed me with a somewhat similar list in Advanced Gunnery.

I'm not sure about the Magnites, since you only have three activations. I haven't played with them yet though.

Edited by Bertie Wooster

I strongly recommend Leading Shots so you have a good source for rerolls!

The rest looks pretty solid. A second officer would be nice (Intel Officer ist always a good choice, or SA).

Edited by spike2109
3 hours ago, spike2109 said:

I strongly recommend Leading Shots so you have a good source for rerolls!

The rest looks pretty solid. A second officer would be nice (Intel Officer ist always a good choice, or SA).

I have 2 Officers on the SH, Walex and Expert Shield Tech. Since the Mk2 only has 1 black die, I have LTTs for the Red reroll (in 30+ games with the upgrade on MC75A and both types of MC80s, it consistently has worked as the only reroll source for 3 or 4 red dice to pretty much average 1 damage each. 5+ red dice need a bit more help then just LTTs though IMO, [either LTTs plus IF!, or Leading shots or C&S, etc]), and SW7s gives a good deal of flexibility to the blues...ie spending an accuracy, or counting it as damage is nice.

Depending on how deployment looks, I might be able to Comms Net a Confire token from the Leia GR75 to the SH on turn 1, then switch to the Squadron command it needs for my squad alpha activation.

I definitely agree with using Leading Shots on a Starhawk MK1 though, since it has additional usefulness with the higher number of black dice - esp since I dont think there are enough black dice to need Ordnance Experts.

@Bertie Wooster thanks! Yeah, the 2 or 3 pt bid isn't worth the neglecting the BH title.

Initially I had Adv Gunnery, but before putting it on the table the week I am changing it to Station Assault (since rather oddly, I have never played it).

The Magnites is the hard part, I think I'd get maybe 1 round of extra engagement against a key ship before it gets beyond my front arc with the Magnites, (and maybe keep a flanker at bay with unplanned speed changes for the ship, but without the Magnites, I improve my fighter coverage (with an additional Xwing, and dont really sacrifice anything in my bombing ability due to the addition of Gold squadron (unless I hit a Kallus SSD, then lol, bye Gold Squadron).

I think I might be best by playing the SH with the Magnites for the first 7-10 games (hopefully including a Large Squadron list with good anti-squad firepower list [since that archetype would see the most benefit from the extra Xwing]), track the impact of the Magnites, then make a determination.

My view is that Magnites are insufficient on their own. One of difficulties the Hawk runs into is opponents refusing to fight it and running away, so you want some extra speed control tech to keep them slow once you Magnite them. The speed zero trap has a lot of moving parts, so I think it's better off as a happy accident if you can get it off, but phylons and slicers are imperative to make it hard for your opponent to speed back. They also make it harder for ships like Demo to get into black dice range. The Hawk REALLY doesn't like APT crits.

I think you probably need at least one phylon ship and ideally a slicer flot in the list to help strip nav tokens for the Magnites to work.

With near maxed squads I don't think ATN gives you much. Only two of them are naturally heavy, and your opponent is more likely to try to fight through your squad screen than intel them and go for the ship. Further, between Unity, LTT, and Salvo, doing so would be a blunder.

I'm also of the view you really want a few points of bid with the Hawk. It can go first or second, but definitely has a preference depending on the matchup (more often going second than first, in my opinion, with objectives to make them come to you).

Leading shots is a great choice for the ship, but I also think ICB and HIE are solid. HIE works great with your ease of double arcs, while ICB has token stripping synergy.

So I played an online match last night with the Magnites list version, here are my initial thoughts:

1) the Magnites were useful in messing up the enemy approach, dropping the speed 3 Demolisher to speed 1 threw off the activation order of the ships and forced a reactive engagement for my opponent, which allowed me to better positionmy SH to get a double arc on the opposing ISD. That said, I was not able to really use it well to force the engagement to last really any longer than normal, so I didnt gain any extra front arc shots because of the Magnites: verdict - ok, i guess, but this fleet doesn't capitalize on the Magnites ability.

2) 5 bombers wanting to reposition and shoot each round (aka commanded by a ship) was beyond what my GR75s could do for more than 1 round - which means I lost out on some potential damage from them, since the SH really wants Nav or Eng dials in my opinion.

3) my red dice ave damage was atrocious: over 60% blank results across all my initial rolls...ie, well beyond what LTTs could correct....then LTTs got chopped up by Boarding Vader, and I pretty much stopped doing damage.

Based on these thoughts, here is version 3 of the list, the initial objectives still stand (for now).

Moved to version 2 (aka the no Magnites version, then made some changes)

Swapped SW7s for Leading Shots (negates effects of Boarding Vader, Schriv, and Sunder, not to mention atrocious rolls).

Swapped Gold squadron and both Ywings for 2 H6 Scurrgs.

. Kyrsta Agate (20)
. Walex Blissex (5)
. Expert Shield Tech (5)
. Local Fire Control (4)
. Advanced Transponder Net (5)
. Leading Shots (4)
. Linked Turbolaser Towers (7)
. Unity (10)
= 210 Points

. Toryn Farr (7)
. Bomber Command Center (8)
. Bright Hope (2)
= 35 Points

. Leia Organa (3)
. Comms Net (2)
. Boosted Comms (4)
= 27 Points

Squadrons:
. Jan Ors (19)
. Biggs Darklighter (19)
. 3 x X-wing Squadron (39)
. Norra Wexley (17)
. 2 x Scurrg H-6 Bomber (32)
= 126 Points

Total Points: 398

Been theorycrafting with a version of my own:

Name: Something crazier

Defense: Fighter Ambush
Navigation: Superior Positions

• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Flight Controllers (6)
• Expanded Hangar Bay (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Unity (10)
= 206 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Comms Net (2)
= 27 Points

• Wedge Antilles (4) ( Potentially replace him with Leia, not sure )
• Boosted Comms (4)
= 34 Points

Squadrons:
• Biggs Darklighter (19)
• Jan Ors (19)
• Nym (21)
• 3 x Scurrg H-6 Bomber (48)
= 133 Points

Total Points: 400

Edited by Kaashifar
53 minutes ago, Kaashifar said:

Been theorycrafting with a version of my own:

Name: Something crazier

• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Ray Antilles (7)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Flight Controllers (6)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Unity (10)
= 206 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Comms Net (2)
= 27 Points

• Wedge Antilles (4) ( Potentially replace him with Leia, not sure )
• Boosted Comms (4)
= 34 Points

Squadrons:
• Biggs Darklighter (19)
• Jan Ors (19)
• Nym (21)
= 133 Points

Total Points: 400

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see other people also use Nym and 3 Scurrgs

1 hour ago, grunnax93 said:

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see other people also use Nym and 3 Scurrgs

Haha if I recall you actually helped me with my squad comp when I posted this list a few weeks ago!

3 minutes ago, Kaashifar said:

Haha if I recall you actually helped me with my squad comp when I posted this list a few weeks ago!

I have had a list not quite exact same list setup only a few small differences, just not sure about it until i test it, if the flag ship goes its game over, although Kyrsta and Unity makes that thing pretty hard to crack.

At least one of the lists I've built has gone down these lines. In some ways, I think the Starhawk is kinda streamlined into 3 larger archetypal builds, of which this is one of them. The key will be figuring out the right upgrades to go on the Starhawk, the right squadrons to take, even then, the squadron make-up is often just looking for the right tools to handle the different builds out there; one squadron load-out will play better against some builds than others.

My only suggestions:

1. I'd try as much as possible to get a bid. You aren't getting that for first, you're aiming to have the choice to play second and force someone onto your objectives. That choice is worth 4-6 points in the present meta.

2. Get Bright Hope on Toryn Farr's flotilla. She's so valuable that you want as much as possible of a cushion for her, and she's got to go forward to make that limited range count.

3. I think you're right that Leia is essential. With 4 dials, there has to be some kind of command dial manipulation, and I'm not sure that taking a valuable officer slot for SFO is what the Starhawk wants, so that takes us back to Leia.

4. Second officer after Strat is open in my mind. Raymus gives you super commands, but your comms net and any tokens you hold onto might just do that by themselves. I'm currently going defensive with either DCO or Walex, and this might be the better play when this ship is your sole combat ship, the loss of which tables you.

5. I have a feeling that saving 10 points on the Starhawk I will be worth more in a squadron list. They've got to come to you anyway, and your squadrons end up being the main damage, putting the right damage through that was left-over after your Starhawk activated.

I like the idea of replacing Raymus with maybe Wallex. Raymus gives me the ability to be a pretty decent carrier without the help of tokens, and that opens the door to my comms net flott to just pass me nav tokens as needed.

With Leia there though AND comms net ,it might make Raymus a bit redundant so that's probably something I'll need to revisit. I've noticed while watching some game play (namely MOTF's Wave 8 report) that the Star Hawk is extremely tanky with the right cards!

15 hours ago, Vergilius said:

At least one of the lists I've built has gone down these lines. In some ways, I think the Starhawk is kinda streamlined into 3 larger archetypal builds, of which this is one of them. The key will be figuring out the right upgrades to go on the Starhawk, the right squadrons to take, even then, the squadron make-up is often just looking for the right tools to handle the different builds out there; one squadron load-out will play better against some builds than others.

My only suggestions:

1. I'd try as much as possible to get a bid. You aren't getting that for first, you're aiming to have the choice to play second and force someone onto your objectives. That choice is worth 4-6 points in the present meta.

2. Get Bright Hope on Toryn Farr's flotilla. She's so valuable that you want as much as possible of a cushion for her, and she's got to go forward to make that limited range count.

3. I think you're right that Leia is essential. With 4 dials, there has to be some kind of command dial manipulation, and I'm not sure that taking a valuable officer slot for SFO is what the Starhawk wants, so that takes us back to Leia.

4. Second officer after Strat is open in my mind. Raymus gives you super commands, but your comms net and any tokens you hold onto might just do that by themselves. I'm currently going defensive with either DCO or Walex, and this might be the better play when this ship is your sole combat ship, the loss of which tables you.

5. I have a feeling that saving 10 points on the Starhawk I will be worth more in a squadron list. They've got to come to you anyway, and your squadrons end up being the main damage, putting the right damage through that was left-over after your Starhawk activated.

My version of @Kaashifar 's list is basically what you have said.

Name: Kyrsta Carrier

Assault: Precision Strike

• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Walex Blissex (5)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Flight Controllers (6)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Unity (10)
= 204 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Bright Hope (2)
= 35 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
= 23 Points

Squadrons:
• Jan Ors (19)
• Biggs Darklighter (19)
• Nym (21)
= 133 Points

Total Points: 395

Awesome!

i would put BCC on the Leia flotilla and comms net with Toryn. That way, if you lose the toryn flotilla, you don’t lose BCC as well. The different distances of their effects helps with this.

So more follow up on the adventures of Unity and the squadrons....2 more fleet engagements to report at this point in the updates with mixed results aka a 1-1 record...

The first match was a Starhawk Unity list similar to Kaasifar's, with Ray Antilles, Strat Adv, Flight controllers, Expanded Hangar Bay, and LTTs, then 2 GR75s-Leia with BCC and Boosted Comms, and Toryn with Comms Net, squadrons were Jan, Biggs, 2Xwings, Norra, and 3 Scurrgs. They had a larger bid, so I was first player...and chose Solar Corona.

The main engagement started round 3, and I got the squadron jump, and took out 1 Xwing and Jan (probably due to poor placement of the other Xwings on the end of round 2). The opposing Scurrgs were sent into the squad ball with Unity's command, and with Flight controllers were effective, but were now stuck in the squadron ball, while my scurrgs weren't yet engaged by 2 opposing squadrons.

Fast forward a bit, and the Starhawks were traded fire - I mainly focused on locking down the Salvo defense token to limit return damage, and used my braces and Expert Shield Tech to limit incoming damage, Toryn's GR75 pushed the Scurrgs into bombing range of Unity, while Biggs, Jan and the Xwings (with GR75 flak support) won the squad fight.

At the end, I tabled them with the destruction of their Starhawk, and only 4 damage cards on mine.

Next up, the 2nd match: aka a loss against an Onager and Kuat-refit ISD....

The 2nd match was against and Onager SD (Rakehell, SCBT, Intel O, Gunnery Chief V, WBTs, LTTs) and a Kuat ISD (Darth Vader, Intel O, WBTs, HIE, ACM, ECM, Avenger) with 2 Gozantis (Comms Net, Hondo, and Slicer/Suppressor) they had initiative, and chose 1st player.

This list seems to be setup to use the Onager to disincentive camping to score points, then uses the Kuat to protect the OSD when their opponent moves in to engage it.

They chose Contested Outpost, meaning even if I tried to stall the Starhawk deployment, they had an advantage in knowing where it would be and be able to be hit with the Ignition Attacks. Knowing that the Starhawk was going to get hit hard by the ships, I tried to get the squadrons forward and moving in quickly, but to hit either of the Star Destroyers, there was going to be at least 1 round the squadrons would be out of range of squadron commands.

And what I feared innthe engagement happened...

The Onager basically used Intel O on a Brace each Ignition attack (3x in total), and managed to get an Accuracy and a pile of Crits...the SCBTs piled on ~12 extra damage, and I burnt 1 brace, and discarded Walex before getting in range of the OSD, only to have the Kuat in my front arc, and push a pile of damage into the Starhawk as well, while using Intel O on a Brace, (the 3rd Ignition attack happened around this point as well). I focused on the Kuat first with the squads and Unity, and killed it on my way to destruction, but ultimately it didn't happen and I was tabled for the loss.

Edited by Cap116
More to add

So after 14 games with the Starhawk, here are my thoughts on the ship...it is the ultimate Generalist ship, (for the comparisons here, I'm going to give the assumption that the ships ALL are equipped with Agate commander and Walex officer, unless a different combo is preferable for the other ships).

So with Agate and Walex, the Starhawk Mk2 is probably the best balanced combo of tankiness, and sustained long and med range damage output (based on double arc shots).

The Starhawk seems to be limited to tanking 2-3 big shots per round, for approximately 3 rounds before all damage mitigation is completely overwhelmed, (which is an unfavorable comparison to the MC80 Assault Cruiser, which is able to tank 2 big shots per round pretty much indefinitely, due to ECMs).

The Starhawk doesn't match the damage output of the MC75Ord close-range double arc, or the Mon Karren MC80 mid/long range damage from only front arc shots. The Starhawk does have a higher damage over time output than the MC75 (due to the power of the long and med range battery armament) and exceeds Mon Karren's damage output against a single target when both are able to double arc.

The main feature the Starhawk has to boost it's combat ability is the Salvo token, or better yet, 2 of them, the extra shot or 2 from the rear arc battery help stress the opposing ships's defense tokens and push extra damage into the enemy fleet.

The main drawback of the Starhawk are that it is limited to speed 2 (mitigated a bit by the Magnite Tractor Beam - aka, drag the enemy down to your speed then maul them with heavier firepower).

The second drawback is that the Starhawk feels command dependent...ie most turns in combat I felt like the Starhawk wanted a Nav dial for an extra click of yaw, while also using an Engineering command to move shields or regen 1-3 shields, but due to my fleet comp, on a few turns, needed to use Squadron dials to make my 120+ points of squadrons worthwhile.

I think the Command dial dependance is due to typical rebel fleet composition from the past 7 waves, ie, the lower cost of the typical rebel ships, means that each ship in the fleet has a role and purpose that can be easily defined and the command dials are assigned to support it (for example: Yavaris, Jaina's Light, Mon Karren, Defiance, etc) but the Starhawk is a much higher fleet point investment, and therefore has to carry a proportionally higher amount of work in the list.

Edited by Cap116
More to add

As I head into the next round of the fleet revisions, there are a few goals to accomplish: use faster, Rogue squadrons to minimize the engagement delay time and minimize ship support needed for efficient squadron engagement, maximize the Starhawk's damage output opportunities, and ensure a GR75 can be dedicated to support the Starhawk command appetite.

Edited by Cap116
More to add

Here is what Im thinking about based on my current fleet goals:

Defense tokens would be 2 Brace, 1 Redirect, 1 Contain, 2 Salvo.

Includes some revised objectives as well.

Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Asteroid Tactics
Navigation: Volatile Deposits

• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Walex Blissex (5)
• Damage Control Officer (5)
• Local Fire Control (4)
• High-Capacity Ion Turbines (8)
• Unity (10)
= 219 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
= 23 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Comms Net (2)
• Boosted Comms (4)
= 31 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• Lando Calrissian (23)
• Ketsu Onyo (22)
• Dash Rendar (24)
• Mart Mattin (22)
= 124 Points

16 hours ago, Cap116 said:

Here is what Im thinking about based on my current fleet goals:

Defense tokens would be 2 Brace, 1 Redirect, 1 Contain, 2 Salvo.

Includes some revised objectives as well.

Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Asteroid Tactics
Navigation: Volatile Deposits

• Kyrsta Agate (20)
• Walex Blissex (5)
• Damage Control Officer (5)
• Local Fire Control (4)
• High-Capacity Ion Turbines (8)
• Unity (10)
= 219 Points

• Leia Organa (3)
• Comms Net (2)
= 23 Points

• Toryn Farr (7)
• Comms Net (2)
• Boosted Comms (4)
= 31 Points

Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• Lando Calrissian (23)
• Ketsu Onyo (22)
• Dash Rendar (24)
• Mart Mattin (22)
= 124 Points

Did you get a chance to test out the fleet? I ran an all ship that I loved, but I still want to try a squad heavy one as well.. curious how it actually plays though?

@Kaashifar I've run this squad ball a few times since RitR came out - namely as a part of a Rieekan Aceholes list. I have about 14 games with the Starhawk now, I think the one last change will be finalizing the ion upgrade with Leading Shots taking the slot (having experimented with SW7, HIE, HCIT, and Leading Shots), for a total fleet point cost of 393.

I think it'll be a fun and competitive list, it should alleviate some of the command dial stress of the previous iterations, and get good time on target with the Magnites.

My playing group loves special crit effects, and the Onager/Kuat duo is very popular, therefore as a met call for this area, I am using DCO/Contain over Exp Shield Tech and 2 Redirects.