The Watcher in the Water - Player Card Review series

By Silblade, in Strategy and deck-building

To be honest I do wish they would fix the duds too. I hate looking through my collection and finding cards that are literally just taking space because I just cant put them in a deck. But if they attempted to fix those cards too, it would be too much errata to keep track of. Id love if they printed sets of new cards to replace old duds but I just don't think that's gonna happen.

I understand your points, and it is a co-operative game. So if you want to play at home, you can play the cards the way you like best. The only thing I would say is that if you attend a group setting ( Con of the Rings, etc) you should play the game as its intended by the designers. If I played at a table where someone was using pre-errata burning brand and blocked every shadow, I would definitely feel like a win is invalidated. And I think its proper courtesy to play the game by the rules when playing with other people.

But either way, it is cooperative and the aim of the game is to have fun. I don't want to spoil that.

This is where the inexplicable lack of a FAQ bothers me. The stealth errata have not been officially announced and in a pick-up group setting (for example, if they ever hold the 2020 fellowship event) it's not clear to me that the nerfed version should *officially* be used. Probably best to bring it up beforehand if it matters. I played a few Hobbit saga quests with a few people I met a couple month backs; I knew about the stealth errata because because I follow the game obsessively but I doubt they did, and I didn't think it would be courteous at all to tell them that Legacy of Durin, Thror's Map, and WANI shouldn't work that way anymore (they were playing dwarf decks with older cards). I *did* tell them that Thror's Map had been errataed to be a Travel action!

And really, when someone is using original Hobbit cards *against the Hobbit*, it's hard to argue they aren't playing the game "as intended by the designers". If someone wanted to truly play progression style "as intended by the designers" they would revert their nerf-printed cards to their original form *until* they reach the quest following the issuance of errata. (The exception would be errata released when the card is brand new, like the blank Arkenstone [I've got that] or Blue Mountain Trader).