A player from a long time ago wanting to say thanks!

By Banjo Oz, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

WEG's Star Wars D6 game was the first RPG I ever played (in primary school!) and longest-running campaign I ever was part of (as GM of the same group and storyline for four years, give or take departing players). While I've played other games, and the later editions added some cool stuff, the original first edition of SWD6 remains my favourite RPG system ever.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a huge thank you to FFG for republishing this and re-igniting interest in the system. Old hands like me likely still own their books (I think I own everything WEG ever made, bar one or two products) and PDFs are easily locatable online, but having the core rules in stores to leaf through and purchase not only keeps the ruleset "alive" but entices others to try it out against other current RPGs.

It's rare that an old game gets a reprint after so long, especially ones with later editions to have their first edition see the light of day again... in the case of SW D6 this is especially awesome because the 1st edition is IMO the best and most unique of all iterations.

So again, thanks to FFG! As fans kept trying to tell Lucas, sometimes the original - without fancy new bells and whistles - is still the best. It's certainly the version I fell in love with a long time ago.

Same here. Star Wars wasn't my first RPG (I started playing it in 1996, in my late teens), but I was in love with the game for many years. Also, as roleplaying games were rather scarce commodity in 1990s Eastern Europe, the quest for Star Wars RPG materials pushed me to say hello to the fledgling internet. Unfortunately, with mediocre prequels I gradually lost interest in Star Wars and the few d6 books I had disappeared in the oceans of time.

Anyway, my 30th Anniversary Edition just arrived and I plan to resurrect some of that old magic over the weekend with my wife and kids. So, let me express my gratitude too — thanks! And while it is my understanding the books are just a sentimental collectors' item rather than any serious attempt to probe the market for D6 Star Wars, I would certainly be a buying customer for any further material, both reprinted and new.

Edited by aandred

I agree with you there! I would love to see some reprints of old adventures and stuff.

While not my first (Advanced D&D) or bestest RPG (namesake of these forums), I still loved it. I have probably 2/3 of the original books still today. The d6 system was very innovative for its time (two attacks? divide your dice pool!) and I loved running a fun campaign of ex-Imperials starting at the fall of the 2nd Death Star when I was in the military.

Very nice. Between the re-release of the RPG and the new Legion Minis game, I am getting all kinds of nostalgia for the Star Wars that I loved as a kid/young adult.