Question: Obligation type mechanics

By GnosisNoise, in Rules Questions

Hey guys.

A quick question - does the Expanded Player's Guide have any rule like Obligation, or will I have to buy SotB to get them?

Anyone created similar mechanics?

My group is quite keen to bring across Icon type relationships (from 13th Age) into our pseudo earth game.

Thank you in advance.

The EPG does not have Obligation as a mechanic.

SotB does not have so either. SotB instead introduces the concept of favors. They are similar to obligation, but not based around numbers. Instead you have small, medium and large favors. They indicate relations between a PC and a faction or an NPC, and you can either owe them (you have to do things for them) or be owed them (they will do things for you).

Edited by BluSunrize
39 minutes ago, BluSunrize said:

The EPG does not have Obligation as a mechanic.

SotB does not have so either. SotB instead introduces the concept of favors. They are similar to obligation, but not based around numbers. Instead you have small, medium and large favors. They indicate relations between a PC and a faction or an NPC, and you can either owe them (you have to do things for them) or be owed them (they will do things for you).

Thank you mate. That helps. I'll pick up SotB then.

I like the favours idea a lot better.

Thank you again!

2 hours ago, GnosisNoise said:

Thank you mate. That helps. I'll pick up SotB then.

I like the favours idea a lot better.

Thank you again!

Having played with Obligation, Duty and Favours I prefer Favours by a huge margin. Like, to the point of saying, "why bother with Obligation/Duty when we can use Favours instead?"

It might be that Favours are more actionable and concrete. Everyone knows what a regular favour is and what it does. But can you tell me what Obligation (Hutt Cartel) 22 means? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? lol

Favours are not opinionated, which is something my analytical mind likes much better 😁