Statting a Weapon

By GnosisNoise, in Your Settings

Okay, here goes. My group and I are gearing up to play a fantasy game set on earth and I am excited.

It is very broad strokes and the onus is on the players to create the details of their character culture - with some oversight from myself.

Right off the bat my best friend wants to play a character from India and that's brilliant. But she had to go and choose the weapon that I have no idea how to stat: the Urumi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urumi

Generally I'd just tell her to use a normal sword stats but she is so excited about it, I'd thought I'll ask the community for help.

So I call on the people that are far better at it than me - please help! For the sake of my sanity!

Thank you in advance!

While this is the first I've ever heard of this weapon, after looking at some videos of mock combats, it seems to increase the range of combat quite significantly.

I would consider statting it similar to a whip, but instead of allowing it to Ensnare people, make it Vicious instead, since it's a wildly flailing piece of metal. Obviously, it wouldn't transfer as much force as a stiff sword blade or blunt object because it's flexible, so let's turn down the damage a bit. My suggested statline, after about 10 minutes of thinking about it and no balance-testing is:

• Urumi
  • Skill: Melee (Light)
  • Damage: +2
  • Critical: 3
  • Range: Short
  • Qualities: Unwieldy 3, Vicious 1
  • Rarity: 6
  • Price: 225

I don't think there's anything wrong with just using a normal sword either, but I do have a fable for short-range melee weapons =P

Think @BluSunrize is spoton with the stats. The wiki does mention an attachement where multipel blades are put on could be made using the attchement Rules provinding linked 1 or something similar.

At least as a GM this weapon will provide abundant good sceanarios for dispair 😀

1 hour ago, BluSunrize said:

While this is the first I've ever heard of this weapon, after looking at some videos of mock combats, it seems to increase the range of combat quite significantly.

I would consider statting it similar to a whip, but instead of allowing it to Ensnare people, make it Vicious instead, since it's a wildly flailing piece of metal. Obviously, it wouldn't transfer as much force as a stiff sword blade or blunt object because it's flexible, so let's turn down the damage a bit. My suggested statline, after about 10 minutes of thinking about it and no balance-testing is:

• Urumi

I don't think there's anything wrong with just using a normal sword either, but I do have a fable for short-range melee weapons =P

Thanks mate! Seriously great.

Beware I just might call on you again in future for weapon stats 😄

5 hours ago, BluSunrize said:

• Urumi

I came to a price of 75, not 225.

Other than that, though, I am in agreement with @BlueSunrise 's stats for this weapon!

20 minutes ago, c__beck said:

I came to a price of 75, not 225.

Other than that, though, I am in agreement with @BlueSunrise 's stats for this weapon!

I used the weapon calculation rules initially, but then decided to up the price a bit, because having short range in melee combat is such a massive advantage. It allows you to attack foes while not engaged with them, meaning your friends can still shoot them without repercussions, and you can keep your distance from them and still hit. I felt like the GCRB does not consider this, because they expect all melee weapons to use Engaged range. But yeah, I suppose even with giving it a price increase equal to Medium range we'd more likely come out to 125. I just eyeballed it =P

Should the weapon have prepare 1? It's fast once you get it moving but it seems to need a little more at the start to get it up to speed.

I've seen them in action, and it takes a lot of skill to use them. I think that any despairs means that you whip yourself!

1 hour ago, BluSunrize said:

I used the weapon calculation rules initially, but then decided to up the price a bit, because having short range in melee combat is such a massive advantage. It allows you to attack foes while not engaged with them, meaning your friends can still shoot them without repercussions, and you can keep your distance from them and still hit. I felt like the GCRB does not consider this, because they expect all melee weapons to use Engaged range. But yeah, I suppose even with giving it a price increase equal to Medium range we'd more likely come out to 125. I just eyeballed it =P

That's a good point, and I think a pre-reduction increase of 100 to account for that would be good. So that would give us a price of 125. Hey, look at that, we agree! lol