suggestion on Imperial Droid against newbs

By thinkbomb, in Game Masters

So ... I'm getting stat blocks out for a session. The players are newbs both in terms of RPG experience and XP level. They're skullduggery guild scoundrels and their misadventures end up at odds with the Imps.

One of the two branches in the session will end with a surprise boss fight in a secluded hovel. For complicated story reasons involving Zeltros, this threat MUST be a lone droid.

I'm trying to figure what would be the best option for the combat baddie. 8\

• If it's directly an imperial droid, that either leaves a Viper Probe Droid (which I'm sure is overkill), or some form of Dark Trooper recon droid (we're sticking "mostly" to canon, while drawing on legends).
  • Of course, they could also have a hired bounty droid after it. I'm really not sure which to choose. 8\ It'd have to be one devoid of a grown personality, given the sensitivity of the mission to the Imperials (the players won't know this, they also both have low Int scores so they probably won't be able to roll for it either XD )

So yeah, if you could help me out with this advice on the droid - it'd be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Here's the longer version... and the players will probably not find out all this backstory.

There's a rebellious researcher spy/contact who was doing theoretical holocron research. Just ancient text delving and whatnot. Anyhoo, he's been in contacts with some deep cover agents (akin to Fulcrum) and has been sorting out this campaign's mcguffin (starting to, anyway).

His base of operations was outside a coastal village on Zeltros. As reminder, the Empire never conquered this planet because A) it's a luxury planet and not very useful to the machine and B) the literally infectious party atmosphere made defectors out of the scouting parties sent there = so in other words it's low value. Rebels also didn't establish a base for the above reasons ... but a lone researcher agent could do his work well enough on his own.

On one of the researchers' off-planet errands, he got spotted by some Imperial Spies. The ISB agent overseeing this saw his home on Zeltros, and wanted to reduce the risk necessary. So he sends in a droid - since droids aren't alive and therefore won't be affected by the Zeltrons' pheromones and empathy (and will also be better concealed against said items).

When the players arrive on the scene (after some other misadventures) they'll have the first part of the McGuffin (a crystal, which to them will just look spooky and shiny). However, the rebel researcher (who was offering them a reward) has already been killed. Also worth mentioning that the droid will be concealed outside by plot-armor-stealth until after the players find a key note (unless they specifically search the grounds before hand). Anyhoo, they'll get the next piece of info on this puzzle and then get attacked by the droid (serving as the finale).

So yeah, that's generally why it has to be a droid.

I don't know the chars but why exactly would one Viper droid be overkill as a "Boss" fight? They are only Rivals...

But just for a small change of taste maybe an ARAK-Series Probe droid (Beyond the Rim - Adventure) ... or a set of two?! :D

3 hours ago, Malashim said:

But just for a small change of taste maybe an ARAK-Series Probe droid (Beyond the Rim - Adventure) ... or a set of two?! :D

That's probably better anyway. The one difficulty in this game for bosses is they tend to die quick if they're alone, it almost doesn't matter how good they are.

4 hours ago, whafrog said:

That's probably better anyway. The one difficulty in this game for bosses is they tend to die quick if they're alone, it almost doesn't matter how good they are.

that's a good point. most tabletops share this issue due to activation advantage.

Why not a K-X series droid?

As i said, i don't know the chars of his group, but if he fears a viper droid is overkill - a K-X has a good chance to wipe them :D.

The party a small group of 2.

- One of them is a murderhobo bounty hunter - the player literally asked me: how do I make the personality trait of "I just like killing people" not be pure sadism? So she's combat ready, but still meta-inexperienced

- The other is a pacifist con artist with limited fighting prowess

They're guild coworkers on assignment, so it's a forced partnership. Obviously it's an extreme odd-couple. Also a fun challenge to make missions where both can try to cooperate

Edited by thinkbomb

Sounds like maybe 1-2 ARAKs would be a good way to test the waters.

Viper and K-X could actually really be too much - depending on their weapons :D

Tactical Assassin Droid