All current L5R fiction - A compilation [RPG/CCG/LCG]

By Lendosan, in Lore Discussion

So I am preparing to run the three starter modules for my 3-man RP group for 5e L5R from 1st February onwards. However I was struggling to get the background feel for my players, so I sought out some guidance on the free fiction for the rework of the timeline. I downloaded each and every fiction, all 85 of them, and placed them into a single google folder, cateloged them using another website (source in the link below) and was going to share them.

Alas a friend of my, Snoop Hogg , did me a solid and created the ultimate; fictions 1 - 85 in a single PDF. It is the last PDF in the folder, but you can find the link in the cateloging document. Sharing it here because it's too much to go through the L5R website and download them individually, especially if you are returning and don't know the timeline.

I will do my best to keep it up to date, but if I am missing something, let me know.

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tQjPPcjsMR0Cip4dOTIhsm8G_VOSEIBP?usp=sharing
Note: Information was correct at time of compilation and uploading (23/01/20).

wow. there's been 85 fictions already. I assume that's just the free online fictions and it doesn't include the fictions they put in the card packs for the first few cycles.

1 hour ago, phillos said:

wow. there's been 85 fictions already. I assume that's just the free online fictions and it doesn't include the fictions they put in the card packs for the first few cycles.

It's every fiction available on the FFG website, compiled into one single PDF, along with all the individual PDFs there as well. If fiction from the card packs was placed onto the site, then yes, otherwise no.

I have a question, sorry if it's stupid or anything, but... are you all using all of these short stories in your games? How do you keep track of everything? At this point, I'm finding incredibly difficult to keep track of the lore the way it is presented, I would prefer so much more a "History of Rokugan" sourcebook...!

That is exactly how I am using them. They were more to give my players some flavour, a taste of Rokugan.

The LCG packs included fiction up through the end of the Elemental Cycle (I believe). Some of these had important events, like Akodo Toturi winning the Emerald Championship, within them. Len, if you want to add them to your Library, you can find them at this site: Chrysanthemum Era (New5R fictions) .

Thank you Jason. Having scanned through it appears as those on the site are already included in the library. Sadly the flavour texts are all written manually and not scanned across, so they cannot be included.

Thanks again though.

Whoops. Guess I should have taken a detailed look at your library! Nice work putting this together.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, Tatoun said:

I have a question, sorry if it's stupid or anything, but... are you all using all of these short stories in your games? How do you keep track of everything? At this point, I'm finding incredibly difficult to keep track of the lore the way it is presented, I would prefer so much more a "History of Rokugan" sourcebook...!

They are useful for an RPG player and GM in that they give you pretty clear illustrations on how the setting is suppose to feel. It's probably quicker to get that feeling through reading a story rather than reading through a bunch of setting information. I don't think it's reasonable to expect either the players or GM to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the fictions so far considering:

1.) the characters in the game most likely won't know any of this anyway information.

2.) unless you want the story to wrap into a particular fiction none of this has to have any effect on your game. Most published FFG adventures seem to happen prior to any of the fictions or very early on in the timeline.

But they can help a Scorpion character for example know what it feels like to walk the streets in the City Of Lies if they read through Whispers of Shadow and Steel. It can help a Togashi monk understand what their life might be like at the High House of Light if they read The Eternal Knot. A Kitsuki Investigator can see how their method works if they read What The Eyes Cannot See, a Unicorn trader can see what traveling the Sand Road is like if they read Across The Burning Sands etc.

Edited by phillos

Thanks for the work.