Battle Droids with/without Backpacks?

By RejjeN, in Painting

Heya, so I'm building my CIS force currently and have been looking at a bit of scenes from Phantom Menace and other related things to try and figure this out but.. Do all B1's have backpacks, or just the "troops"? From what I've been able to surmise OOM and OOM Commanders do not have backpacks, but is that just when they are leading from a Tank or on a ship? I'd like to try and keep my force consistent with the canon and I feel having some models without the backpacks could also make them stand out a bit more (apart from also painting them with appropriate markings).

On a related issue. I've been considering painting my droids with at least a bit of camo, but did that ever happen? And if I do that, should commander markings be painted over the camo or should I try and figure out a more subtle way to show it?

(And finally a bit of wishlisting: Super Tactical Droid when?)

8 minutes ago, RejjeN said:

Heya, so I'm building my CIS force currently and have been looking at a bit of scenes from Phantom Menace and other related things to try and figure this out but.. Do all B1's have backpacks, or just the "troops"? From what I've been able to surmise OOM and OOM Commanders do not have backpacks, but is that just when they are leading from a Tank or on a ship? I'd like to try and keep my force consistent with the canon and I feel having some models without the backpacks could also make them stand out a bit more (apart from also painting them with appropriate markings).

On a related issue. I've been considering painting my droids with at least a bit of camo, but did that ever happen? And if I do that, should commander markings be painted over the camo or should I try and figure out a more subtle way to show it?

(And finally a bit of wishlisting: Super Tactical Droid when?)

If you haven’t started building your droids yet you will find the squad leader droids don’t have backpacks just the aerial and gun on their back.

Thank you, I noticed when I looked closer at the sprue that there are indeed no backpack for the leader droid xD

I thought they were all identical, so shows me for not trusting FFG to get that part right :P

Though I also didn't realize most of the additional droids are in the expansion. So that didn't help ^^;

Standard B1's have the backpack w/ antenna, OOM Commanders have an antenna but without the backpack and this is in the standard sprue. Pilots and Security Droids did not have any backpack/antenna. The CW tv series does break cannon here and gives every droid a backpack/antenna. As far as I know, battle droids didn't utilise camo except on Geonosis where they had a more ochre/maroon colour.