BTL-B Y-wing

By HappyDaze, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Did anybody take a crack at the original BTL-B Y-wing as seen in Clone Wars yet?

If not, I'm thinking that a slightly higher HTT (14) and Armor (4) with reduced Handling (-1) and slower hyperdrive (Class 2) would be a good start along with adding a bomb chute like on the TIE bomber.

I'm not sure you would need to lower the hyperdrive stat. I can see the HTT and Armor going up as you suggest. I wouldn't add the bomb chute, though. I see the Y-Wing as being more like the WWII dive bombers and an actual bomb chute sort of kills that notion (at least for me). I would give all Y-wings a "pass" and allow the Ion Torpedoes to simply swap out with the proton torpedoes normally given to "keep up with" what we saw in Rouge 1 (Ion Torpedoes are normally sil 4 and up). I'm not even convinced that you should take a hit in Handling. If you are looking at Clone Wars Era, they had excellent maintenance all the time. The Y's the Rebellion managed to get their hands on were either already stripped down or they "had" to strip them down to keep them functioning for the war effort.

Or, you can just be unimaginative and lazy by simply saying that the cowling used during the Clone Wars was purely cosmetic.....

On 1/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, HappyDaze said:

Did anybody take a crack at the original BTL-B Y-wing as seen in Clone Wars yet?

If not, I'm thinking that a slightly higher HTT (14) and Armor (4) with reduced Handling (-1) and slower hyperdrive (Class 2) would be a good start along with adding a bomb chute like on the TIE bomber.

Swap out the ions for lasers.

4 hours ago, Old Stormtrooper said:

Or, you can just be unimaginative and lazy by simply saying that the cowling used during the Clone Wars was purely cosmetic.....

I would run the numbers on that. Vulture droids only pack damage 5 blaster cannons. So with HT 12, Armor 3, and 1 success that's 5 hits to KO you... Depending on the opposition and format, that's sufficient staying power.

I believe HappyDaze's lowering of the hyperdrive is due to the way it is described on Wookiepedia. The BTL-S3 of episode IV has a hyperdrive twice as fast. I believe the same for the weapons. The Wookie entry has bombs, not just torpedoes, and it includes ion cannons. I'm assuming all of this is due to what we saw it do in the Clone Wars cartoon?

I think before declaring stats, you may want to figure out what you want the B to be. Is it a completely different previous model then the S3, like the Wookiepedia's stats suggest (they are way different). Or is it just the original model before it became old, was stripped, modified, etc.

HappyDaze may be going the route it's the same ship while trying to remain true to what we see in the Wookiepedia entries? If so, the increase of Armor and HTT but reduced handling makes complete sense due to the hull plates still remaining on the brand-spanking new version. The Rebellion era didn't have a gravity bombing bay but had a better hyperdrive. So, simply state the Rebels wanted their modified old Y-wings to have a better hyperdrive to keep up with the X-wing squadrons. Seeing the bomb bay as redundant to the torpedoes, they dropped the bay and replaced the hyperdrive with a better and bigger one?

1 hour ago, Sturn said:

I believe HappyDaze's lowering of the hyperdrive is due to the way it is described on Wookiepedia. The BTL-S3 of episode IV has a hyperdrive twice as fast. I believe the same for the weapons. The Wookie entry has bombs, not just torpedoes, and it includes ion cannons. I'm assuming all of this is due to what we saw it do in the Clone Wars cartoon?

I think before declaring stats, you may want to figure out what you want the B to be. Is it a completely different previous model then the S3, like the Wookiepedia's stats suggest (they are way different). Or is it just the original model before it became old, was stripped, modified, etc.

HappyDaze may be going the route it's the same ship while trying to remain true to what we see in the Wookiepedia entries? If so, the increase of Armor and HTT but reduced handling makes complete sense due to the hull plates still remaining on the brand-spanking new version. The Rebellion era didn't have a gravity bombing bay but had a better hyperdrive. So, simply state the Rebels wanted their modified old Y-wings to have a better hyperdrive to keep up with the X-wing squadrons. Seeing the bomb bay as redundant to the torpedoes, they dropped the bay and replaced the hyperdrive with a better and bigger one?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm looking at it being more of a light bomber than a strike fighter.

Any X-wing mini game players here that can compare the game stats of the -B to the -A4 or -S3 versions? Any changes in attack dice, maneuver dial, options, etc.?

Edited by HappyDaze
On 1/23/2020 at 2:03 PM, HappyDaze said:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm looking at it being more of a light bomber than a strike fighter.

Any X-wing mini game players here that can compare the game stats of the -B to the -A4 or -S3 versions? Any changes in attack dice, maneuver dial, options, etc.?

In X-Wing, The BTL-A4 flown by the Rebellion has a Hull value of 6, and a Shield value of 2. The BTL-B flown by the Republic has a Hull Value of 5, and a Shield value of 3. On top of this, each time the -B is hit by an attack, it may change one critical hit into a regular hit as long as it's not already suffering from a critical hit.

So, while both ships can take the same total damage of 8, the BTL-B is better at mitigating critical damage. The ships have the same maneuver dials, same attack and agility values, and same upgrade slots, making the two virtually identical aside from the durability regarding crits. In original X-Wing 1.0, the vanilla Y-Wing was considered the -S3, and could attack with its turret in a 360 degree arc. The -A4 title locked the turret in the forward facing position, but allowed for two attacks a turn (once with the primary weapon, once with the turret).

Now, converting that kind of information over to Age of Rebellion is a bit tricky. The -S3 variant is already mentioned in the AoR CRB, with the only differences being that it gives Fire Arc All to the turret-mounted twin light ion cannons instead of Fire Arc Forward, and is said to be a two-person variant with a rear gunner seat. For the BTL-B, I'd say bumping up its shields to 2/-/-/1, and reducing its hyperdrive class is probably sufficient. Another point of Armor is probably a bit too much. At most, I'd give it another point or two of Hull, but even that I'm a bit hesitant on.

The Republic Y-wing has a worse maneuver dial. The rebel Y-wing dial has blue speed 1 banks. The Republic Y-wing dial has white speed 1 banks.