can courtier resolve be used in duels?

By Doji Makiko, in Rules Questions

Hi all,

I’ve a question regarding the use of courtier’s resolve during physical battle, and especially in duels as strife is a major concern to those who want to avoid a finishing blow.

Do you allow its use as an action, which requires no dice roll, or do you prevent it as you consider it is not feasible during a battle (the narrative description mentions "challenges in courts")

In a more general manner, do you have an approach to define which shuji can be used during mass battles, skirmishes or duels, if not specified in the description : when you read as a (scheme/support) action, do you allow thème in any type of conflict or only on intrigue as social?

Yes, I would allow Courtier's Resolve to be used in any kind of conflict, whether it's a duel, skirmish, mass battle, or intrigue, as long as there wasn't some strong, overriding narrative reason not to. In fact, it looks like a good technique to have in a duel. Courtier's Resolve is a support action, which can be used in duels, and it has an instant duration so it isn't narratively jarring the way a long ritual or crafting activity might be. As with all techniques, however, I would probably encourage the player to briefly describe what taking that action looks like, describe the character's internal feelings, or something else that adds to the story. So, while I wouldn't rule against using the technique on the basis of the rules, it would still be incumbent on the player to sort of justify using it by contributing to the story.

Generally, I try to let the players attempt to use their special techniques unless there is a clear rule saying that they can't or if it's narratively clunky, but they can't, or won't, justify it (probably because they are just trying to pull a fast-one on me and just grabbed whatever technique they had). After all, these techniques are what make their characters feel powerful and special and the players built these characters specifically so they can do this cool stuff.

I'm more picky and prescriptive, however, when it comes to choosing skills and approaches. The high water, high courtesy courtier player is going to try to solve everything with a friendly speech, but sometimes what the player describes sounds more like a fiery command so I would make them roll those dice instead. In the worst case, the player grumbles about not being able to use their min-maxed stats they way they had thought, but they still get to attempt to do what they wanted. That's not the case with techniques where I can't easily suggest an alternative and the player ends up feeling left out if I just say "no" instead of "yes, but".

Side note, I think the final duel in The Last Jedi (the one on the salt planet) started off as:

"Your enemy successfully uses Lord Akodo's Roar."

"Oh, yeah? Well I use Courtier's Resolve!" **brushes shoulder**

Edited by DanGers

To answer the last question first - yes, anybody can take a Scheme action in any conflict, it's just a different type of action (which can interact with other techniques, conditions and special abilities). Some shuji can only be used in a mass battle or skirmish, but in general unless it forbids a conflict type it can be used any time appropriate in the rules. Do what the rules say to do, don't do what they don't say to do.

On the subject of Courtier's Resolve - it's an action of the Support type which requires no check and doesn't specify a conflict type. You can do it any time you have an action and a Void Point to spend (mediated that you can only use it once per scene), which would include a Duel and I've personally recommended it to duelists before. It doesn't require a stance either, so you can use it in Water to still get another action in which has a check (so long as it isn't Support)!

As stated on the rules "If a technique’s activation contains the phrase “as an action” or “as a [type] action,” it means that the character must perform an action during a conflict scene to activate the technique." Unless otherwise stated Duels are conflict scenes so, yes you can. Don't know why but I think you'll be happy with my answer :-).

On 1/13/2020 at 1:21 PM, DanGers said:

I'm more picky and prescriptive, however, when it comes to choosing skills and approaches. The high water, high courtesy courtier player is going to try to solve everything with a friendly speech, but sometimes what the player describes sounds more like a fiery command so I would make them roll those dice instead. In the worst case, the player grumbles about not being able to use their min-maxed stats they way they had thought, but they still get to attempt to do what they wanted. That's not the case with techniques where I can't easily suggest an alternative and the player ends up feeling left out if I just say "no" instead of "yes, but".

I think that's exactly what the approaches represent, though. If you're trying to do it fire-style, then use Fire Ring. On the other hand, you could do it with an increased TN like: TN 3 (Fire 1, Water 4).

On the original topic: yes, definitely can use in a duel. It's a conflict action and a conflict scene. Just add narrative from the player, and you're set.

55 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

It's a conflict action

You mean, Courtier's Resolve is a "conflict action" ?
The lore text on the action also doesn't seem to mean it is for warriors. But whatever, it works for duels, nothing is against it.

Throw in Lady Doji's Decree too also, it is awesome for duelling. Use that and courtier's resolve. Plus, the GM will have to come up with "actions" the NPC will try to do during the duel since he cannot Attack. With 2 opps the NPC also cannot do Scheme actions!!
Your PC can be built to cheese all duels (once per session) like that. Quite great "build". As a GM you'll have to come up with stronger cheese to counter the PC's cheese.

Edited by Avatar111
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:14 PM, Hida Jitenno said:

I think that's exactly what the approaches represent, though. If you're trying to do it fire-style, then use Fire Ring. On the other hand, you could do it with an increased TN like: TN 3 (Fire 1, Water 4).

On the original topic: yes, definitely can use in a duel. It's a conflict action and a conflict scene. Just add narrative from the player, and you're set.

Exactly so. Narrative approaches determine ring, not what stat you'd like to use.

If you are under the false impression water = charisma and try to min-max to water-3-air-1 you're in for a hard time when trying to bluff someone.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, Avatar111 said:

You mean, Courtier's Resolve is a "conflict action" ?
The lore text on the action also doesn't seem to mean it is for warriors. But whatever, it works for duels, nothing is against it.

Throw in Lady Doji's Decree too also, it is awesome for duelling. Use that and courtier's resolve. Plus, the GM will have to come up with "actions" the NPC will try to do during the duel since he cannot Attack. With 2 opps the NPC also cannot do Scheme actions!!
Your PC can be built to cheese all duels (once per session) like that. Quite great "build". As a GM you'll have to come up with stronger cheese to counter the PC's cheese.

Lady Doji's Decree is one of the most poorly thought techniques of this game.

While I was reading the game for the first time and trying to come up with a duelist build. (There isn't one, really) I thought this would be it, but it is extremely cheesy and I'm vegan, so... 😂