Mood ring lightsaber rgb color theory

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

In the new canon lightsaber color depends on the weilder, the crystal only reflects the character of the wielder.... but what do the colors actually mean...

What I think

Blue = protective

Green = spiritual

Red is tougher but considering count dooku... aggressive and combative don't exactly fit but power hungry/domineering/controlling does.

R plus B = magenta/purple strongly conflicted mace windu fits

R plus G = yellow a color associated with sentinels seems to fit too

What about white = R+G+B? Ahsoka seems like G+B but not R but the crystals were R before she cleansed them.

I'd say that red and white are more of an outlier...

Red crystals have "been made to bleed" and then Ahsoka "cleansed" them, so it could very well be that "cleansed" crystals are all white.

Red is the "dark side" color, not so much a reflection of the wielder.

With Mace Windu, the idea that his skirting the dark side caused a blue crystal to become purple makes some sense.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

I propose white expresses balance and purity. Its the color of a paragon.

5 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

In the new canon lightsaber color depends on the weilder, the crystal only reflects the character of the wielder.... but what do the colors actually mean...

What I think

Blue = protective

Green = spiritual

Red is tougher but considering count dooku... aggressive and combative don't exactly fit but power hungry/domineering/controlling does.

What about white = R+G+B? Ahsoka seems like G+B but not R but the crystals were R before she cleansed them.

Kyber crystals are naturally attuned to the light side, so Red is what you get when a dark sider purposefully corrupts a crystal of any other colour. White is what you get when a light sider heals heals a corrupter crystal. Ahsoka got her white crystals from the dual saber of an Inquisitor she had killed.

Also, you have forgotten yellow,which is rare, but had been around in canon long before Rise Of Skywalker. And then you have weird stuff like the Darksaber, which doesn't seem to be actually dark side in nature.

Edited by micheldebruyn

I think color is related to the state of mind of the person attuning the saber at that moment.. And they sray that color unless they are Bled which turns them red. Cleansing heals a red saber to white.

Green seems to be living force allignement and blue seems to be universal force alignment

Edited by Daeglan
11 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'd say that red and white are more of an outlier...

Red crystals have "been made to bleed" and then Ahsoka "cleansed" them, so it could very well be that "cleansed" crystals are all white.

Red is the "dark side" color, not so much a reflection of the wielder.

With Mace Windu, the idea that his skirting the dark side caused a blue crystal to become purple makes some sense.

Yes red is a darkside color, reflecting the darkside nature of the wielder... but getting more specific than that... what is the nature of the darkside, is it aggression, combativeness.... actually I think power hungry and the desire to dominate others

Making crystals bleed sounds like dominating the crystal so not necessarily out based on the proposed red

Cleansed could be pouring spiritually and protection into a dominated crystal. R+G+B = W so not necessarily out of the question

No not necessarily out (not conclusive either)

13 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

What I think

Blue = protective

Green = spiritual

7 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

Kyber crystals are naturally attuned to the light side, so Red is what you get when a dark sider purposefully corrupts a crystal of any other colour. White is what you get when a light sider heals heals a corrupter crystal. Ahsoka got her white crystals from the dual saber of an Inquisitor she had killed.

Also, you have forgotten yellow,which is rare, but had been around in canon long before Rise Of Skywalker. And then you have weird stuff like the Darksaber, which doesn't seem to be actually dark side in nature.

For additive color mixing, like the screen of your tv, computer, phone.... red green and blue light combines/mix to produce other colors. In particular yellow = Red plus green. Mixing paints is subtractive color mixing.

As for the darksaber

Black is no red no green no blue, so according to rgb color mixing either the person who made it didn't care about power, spiritually, or protecting others

Or maybe it turned black because it's had a very long series of non force sensitive wielders.

40 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

For additive color mixing, like the screen of your tv, computer, phone.... red green and blue light combines/mix to produce other colors. In particular yellow = Red plus green. Mixing paints is subtractive color mixing.

As for the darksaber

Black is no red no green no blue, so according to rgb color mixing either the person who made it didn't care about power, spiritually, or protecting others

Or maybe it turned black because it's had a very long series of non force sensitive wielders.

Yeah... I don't think the rules of real life colour mixing have even a slight connection to how lightsaber colours work. Star Wars works on rule of cool, not laws of science.

We get purple not because of red + blue, but because Samual L. Jackson wanted to stand out and thought it would look cool. We get green because ILM couldn't make blue work against a blue desert background.

12 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Yeah... I don't think the rules of real life colour mixing have even a slight connection to how lightsaber colours work. Star Wars works on rule of cool, not laws of science.

We get purple not because of red + blue, but because Samual L. Jackson wanted to stand out and thought it would look cool. We get green because ILM couldn't make blue work against a blue desert background.

In universe reasons for purple and green are different than the reasons they were put in the movie... Green became the color of consulars (deep force connection) because of who happened to wield green sabers (primarily yoda, luke and quigon,) as a post facto justification.

Now the rgb color mixing s obviously a post facto explanation, but strangely enough it seems to be a plausible (if not convincing) explanation of purple (mace windu) , yellow (sentinel) , and white (Ahsoka's cleansed red) sabers. It's an interesting coincidence to say the least.

11 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

It's an interesting coincidence to say the least.

It's when rule of cool met rule of science. 😎

Just because Ahsoka cleansed a few crystals and it resulted in white blades does not mean all cleansed crystals produce white blades. The sample size is far too small to come to that conclusion.

Edited by HappyDaze
Autocorrect struck again...
3 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Just because Ahsoka cleansed a fee crystals and it resulted in white blades does not mean all cleansed crystals produce white blades. The sample size is far too small to come to that conclusion.

True but that also means there's nothing to contradict the rgb lightsaber color mixing theory should some want to adopt it as head canon for their table.

6 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Just because Ahsoka cleansed a fee crystals and it resulted in white blades does not mean all cleansed crystals produce white blades. The sample size is far too small to come to that conclusion.

This is a fair point.

9 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

3 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

This is a fair point.

I agree with @HappyDaze on this. I propose that the reason why Ahsoka's blades became white when she cleansed then instead of green or blue, or some other color, is because she had renounced her status as a Jedi . She wasn't following any of the paths of the Jedi (Consular, Guardian, or Sentinel). If I remember correctly, she specifically says that her not being a Jedi is the reason for her blades being the color they are. So, if someone following the path of the Jedi , cleansed a corrupted crystal, it would likely change color to blue, green, or yellow, depending upon his inclinations.

Of course, if lightsabers are mood rings, why didn't anyone notice Anakin was on his way to the dark side?

He did kind of kill an entire tribe of Tusken raiders - every man, woman, and child - out of pure hatred, rage, and revenge.

And lost his own lightsaber shortly thereafter, so he would have had to attune a new crystal.

Should it not have been tinged a bit pink?

This theory would make lightsabers giant corruption detector devices for the Jedi Order to keep an eye on.

Its basically color-code alignment for Force users and is, quite frankly, silly.

To quote Han Solo: "That's not how the Force works!"

Edited by Vondy
11 minutes ago, Vondy said:

This theory would make lightsabers giant corruption detector devices for the Jedi Order to keep an eye on.

Its basically color-code alignment for Force users and is, quite frankly, silly.

This is one of the places where I feel LDIB (Legends Did It Better)--the blade color and appearance is based on the crystal used, not on the person building/using it.

21 minutes ago, Vondy said:

Of course, if lightsabers are mood rings, why didn't anyone notice Anakin was on his way to the dark side?

He did kind of kill an entire tribe of Tusken raiders - every man, woman, and child - out of pure hatred, rage, and revenge.

And lost his own lightsaber shortly thereafter, so he would have had to attune a new crystal.

Should it not have been tinged a bit pink?

To me the attunement color comes as the state of mind of the force user at the time of attuning. And stays that color unless bled. Not sure if they can be reattuned to a new user.

12 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

This is one of the places where I feel LDIB (Legends Did It Better)--the blade color and appearance is based on the crystal used, not on the person building/using it.

We agree. I find this "new canon" idea kind of stupid.

4 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

To me the attunement color comes as the state of mind of the force user at the time of attuning. And stays that color unless bled. Not sure if they can be reattuned to a new user.

As it so happens, I re-watched AotC on Friday ahead of our weekend reading of The Clone Army Attacketh . Anakin lost his lightsaber between his little Tusken Raider massacre and the arena battle on Geonosis. Both he and Obi-Wan were fighting with slain Jedi's lightsabers at that point. He built the lightsaber he uses in RotS and which Luke and Rey ultimately receive after that. Since the Tusken Raider incident was a key part of his slide to the dark side, why then would his new lightsaber not be tainted? I propose its because the "new canon" theory is silly nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Vondy said:

As it so happens, I re-watched AotC on Friday ahead of our weekend reading of The Clone Army Attacketh . Anakin lost his lightsaber between his little Tusken Raider massacre and the arena battle on Geonosis. Both he and Obi-Wan were fighting with slain Jedi's lightsabers at that point. He built the lightsaber he uses in RotS and which Luke and Rey ultimately receive after that. Since the Tusken Raider incident was a key part of his slide to the dark side, why then would his new lightsaber not be tainted? I propose its because the "new canon" theory is silly nonsense.

In the comics it is because he has not yet been taught how to "make the crystal bleed" or something. In short, simply being dark does not make a red blade; it is an intentional process that requires specific techniques.

I would expect that the opposite, cleansing a crystal, does too. This is why the FFG rules for cleansing a Corrupted Crystal are woefully inadequate as apparently the crystal gets bleached the moment your Morality exceeds 70 with no active effort required.

1 hour ago, Vondy said:

Because tainting a crystal is a Sith technique that has to be done on purpose, and requires some know-how. Crystals don't just turn reddish because a darksider has had them for a while.

3 hours ago, Vondy said:

Both he and Obi-Wan were fighting with slain Jedi's lightsabers at that point.

Or at least not their own. They’re tossed a pair of lightsabers by other Jedi.

3 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

Because tainting a crystal is a Sith technique that has to be done on purpose, and requires some know-how. Crystals don't just turn reddish because a darksider has had them for a while.

I do like this better. It basically means ever red saber involves a dead jedi.