Scorpion and Masks

By Nheko, in Lore Discussion

Do scorpion who marry out of the clan keep using their masks?

People who marry into the Scorpion often puts masks, Scorpion who marry out of clan have been known to keep theirs (I remember a couple doing so) but some didn't.

Thanks Okuma!

I would assume no, as they are no longer scorpions.

Besides this gives the opportunity for some sort of high emotional unmasking ceremony among the closet family members, before their beloved leaves to become part of another clan.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:29 AM, Chilitoke said:

Besides this gives the opportunity for some sort of high emotional unmasking ceremony among the closet family members, before their beloved leaves to become part of another clan.

Indeed. There is likely to be much symbolism about them taking off one mask and donning another permanently. "Becoming the mask" as it were.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BecomingtheMask

When scorpion marry, they put on the "real masks" that people of other clans always wear. Also, the contracts may say that they stop being scorpion. their lips may say that they stop being scorpion, but only the Scorpion knows the truth.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:29 AM, Chilitoke said:

My group decided that the real reason behind the Scorpion marrying once wasn't out of any amount of true devotion to their spouse or anything -- it was for the very practical reason that if Scorpion only married once and their spouse died they couldn't be shipped back to their family. Now, the Scorpion clan has a "former" Scorpion spy in another clan with no particular ties or vows to anyone else but their clan.

There already IS an emotional unmasking ceremony WITHIN their clan, but it's not quite in the way you're suggesting: Scorpion never wears masks to any Scorpion's wedding, birth ceremony, or funerals and they're all big, buoyant celebrations: birth ceremonies and weddings can go on for days . Famously, for weddings and funerals -- not so much births -- anyone who happens to be nearby and a samurai is often welcome.

Weddings aren't really sad ceremony though; Scorpion plan those things out to serve their clan from practically the first day everyone's sure you're safe from childhood illness. You're fulfilling your clan duty by marrying well and to the benefit of the Scorpion clan, after all. Marriage is about a contract between clans that helps achieve a greater end... and if skillfully done? Puts someone you can trust in a position to complete further goals.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

When scorpion marry, they put on the "real masks" that people of other clans always wear. Also, the contracts may say that they stop being scorpion. their lips may say that they stop being scorpion, but only the Scorpion knows the truth.

"Once a Scorpion, always a Scorpion"