Noob: Respawning through closed door?

By Smiley7, in Doom

Hi folks

Just bought DOOM and am working through a solo play to get the rules straight in my mind before introducing it to the kids. Quick question: If my marine respawns while in an area where all the doors are closed, is he confined to respawning in that area, or can he respawn "through a closed door", so to speak, into the area next door?

Mark

The marine can respawn anywhere on the board - that is revealed - in the respawn range - 8 to 16 squares from the place when he died - regardless of any closed doors, blocking obstacles etc.

A small related question:

If a marine dies in a small room with only a teleporter in and out of it, where does he respawn?

So far we have been playing with the rule that he respawns on top of the far end of the teleporter but should we keep on counting squares and count the telepads as being 1 square apart?

Smashing. Good to have that cleared up.

Smiley said:

Just bought DOOM and am working through a solo play to get the rules straight in my mind before introducing it to the kids. Quick question: If my marine respawns while in an area where all the doors are closed, is he confined to respawning in that area, or can he respawn "through a closed door", so to speak, into the area next door?

As long as the next area over has already been revealed then he may respawn on the other side (and, in fact, might be required to if there's nowhere 8 spaces away from where he died on the same side.) If there's no valid respawn point at least 8 spaces away from where he died, then I believe the rules say he can respawn closer, but as far as legally possible. It's been a while since I read the rules, but that seems about right to me.

Nerdmeister said:

A small related question:

If a marine dies in a small room with only a teleporter in and out of it, where does he respawn?

So far we have been playing with the rule that he respawns on top of the far end of the teleporter but should we keep on counting squares and count the telepads as being 1 square apart?

That's a good question. As far as I recall teleporters aren't specifically addressed in the respawn rules, but I would be inclined to say you keep counting on the other side of the teleporter. Only if there's no legal respawn point within 8 spaces (which in a case like this I would read as 8 movement, ignoring terrain that might slow you down) would you be allowed to respawn closer.