Core Rules p227 Noxious Cloud Opportunity scaling

By Vulcan64, in Rules Questions

How does the scaling *+ of the 0-2 range of effect work? Is it one target within 0-2 that has dangerous and obscured terrain per each opportunity * symbol kept ?

Edited by Vulcan64

The text explicitly refers to the 'area', so I would assume that is would affect the area within range 0-2, including all living individual entities within said area.

I'd agree.

"Activation: As an Attack action, you may use two doses of any single poison and make a TN 2 Medicine (Air) check targeting each other character at range 0–2."

So the basic activation affects everyone in range and defines a range 2 "bubble".

"Air 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 +: Until the end of the scene, the area at range 0–2 becomes Obscuring and Dangerous terrain."

My personal suspicion is that the '+' here is erroneous and it's not a scaling effect.

Normally, when you see a ' 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 +' option, the effect is 'do XYZ per 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 spent' (just like the third opportunity on Noxious Cloud, as an example!). Making the area Obscuring and Dangerous is something that only makes sense to do once, though, and as @Tenebrae says, it's already worded to apply to the entire area.

That’s the point of this thread and my question: What is the correct implementation of the opportunity number two ( the *+ ) option. One could also interpret that for every * SPENT, after a successful TN was rolled, each target within 0-2 suffers the Obscuring and Dangerous terrain effect as the poison affects each target ( but potentially not ALL targets within 0-2 suffer this secondary effect after the initial damage; only those targets with 0-2 where an opportunity * symbol was spent ... ).

Edited by Vulcan64

I can't speak for RAI, but I'd agree with @Magnus Grendel that the '+' is in error.

EDIT:

Upon review, I can't help but wonder if the top opportunity entry should have been

1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 +: move 1 range band per 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 spent

... or something to a similar effect.

Edited by Tenebrae
Just occured to me that...

Waiting for an official FFG ruling on this one. Thank you for the replies!

2 hours ago, Vulcan64 said:

Waiting for an official FFG ruling on this one. Thank you for the replies!

In that case, you may have to make them aware of you need. As well as communicate the intensity of your need for such a ruling.

Using the official contact form has worked quite well in the past. It's not super fast, but does get answers in general.

Done. Thanks!